Enemies chasing you even when you exit maps

Started by Vexus, August 02, 2013, 05:46:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Vexus

August 09, 2013, 10:14:37 am #20 Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 10:23:29 am by Vexus
Ok that seems like it saves me a switch per zombie but there also a problem with this.

Unless I reset the variable counter for each map the value will keep on rising and will have to keep on record on what value it is.

If I reset the value it will screw up earlier events/zombies.

Or maybe a different variable per map we'll see.

I'll test it out later. (Unless I keep on getting the proximity icon error.)

Thanks for the help.
Current Project/s:

Zexion

You could "fix" it by fading the screen out and fading it back in on the next map :P
That's what I would do anyway :b

Edit: Or technically you could just remove the variable requirement on the second page and just require the self switch. That would work :b

Vexus

Yea but the more I think about the variable method the more I think it would be really hard to implement.

I mean we are only guessing if zombie is near transfer event or not so in the new map we say variable is 1 or 2 or whatever but in the future if the number rises to I don't know 50 we can't know if every zombie in every map has managed to follow you in the next map or not so it would stop working pretty soon.
Current Project/s:

Zexion

August 09, 2013, 10:47:05 am #23 Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 10:56:35 am by Zexion
Hmm, I have an idea. Actually, I know exactly how to do this with events/scripts and make it completely dynamic. Let me try it out and I will post :b

Edit:
MM.... nevermind this entire thing seems hard to pull off because you would need them all to spawn and then what happens when they do? o.o They will fill up a space on the map, and what if the player is on that space. D: if you use more than say 10 zombies you will have many things to worry about

Vexus

Yea I will need to figure out how to solve the space needed too hehe.
Current Project/s:

KK20

Wait, from what I'm reading, the zombies are supposed to spawn at random areas on the map when transferring over to a new map? Shouldn't they all appear from the entrance point at different time intervals?

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Vexus

No, no, zombies spawn on the same spot the transfer events are on the new map.

That's the problem tough. If there are many zombies following you how will i be able to show them all?

Imagine going inside a house and there were 3 after you.

How can i show the 3 of them from the same spot? It's not like i could create multiple events on the same spot, i would need some sort of event transfer while also checking if said spot is available or not.
Current Project/s:

KK20

August 10, 2013, 07:08:20 pm #27 Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 07:09:34 pm by KK20
Quote from: KK20 on August 09, 2013, 08:25:13 pm
Shouldn't they all appear from the entrance point at different time intervals?

What's wrong with that? Just make it so that each zombie event has a different Wait interval (thus, appearing one by one until all are visible).
And like I said before, Blizz-ABS has a way to generate events on the map with a script call.

Other Projects

Vexus

August 11, 2013, 05:31:36 am #28 Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 05:34:19 am by Vexus
Had no idea i could didn't really check to be honest.

I got a slight issue tough as the zombies lose aggro in the new map. If i keep on walking down before they show up they will remain close to the entrance and not follow me.(Which is still not that bad considering they are blocking you the way now)
Current Project/s:

Vexus

I was wondering something regarding variables.

I was thinking to place the events somewhere inaccessible then transfer event to where he should spawn if switch x is on THEN if I exit the map and he didn't follow me till the end I was thinking on saving it's x/y location with 2 variables and when you go back the enemy will be transferred to that location instead of starting again in the same location it was transferred.

Would I need 2 x/y variables per event or the variables can work for more then 1 event? (Storing the location)

Thanks

(I think I'll need 2 per event)
Current Project/s:

KK20

All events that "followed" you inside will be transferred to the same location. That's only 2 variables (x- and y-coordinate) that can be used for all the "following" events. When you leave the building, and the events are no longer following, each event will need to have its x- and y- values stored...so that's 2 variables needed per event. Now you just need to make the following conditional check: which coordinates do you use?

Other Projects

Zexion

Also, I think you might be over-thinking this. When people play these rmxp games, we don't exactly expect perfection :b You should just do it in the most convenient way that doesn't eat up a whole bunch of switches.

Vexus

Quote from: KK20 on August 14, 2013, 10:31:11 pm
All events that "followed" you inside will be transferred to the same location. That's only 2 variables (x- and y-coordinate) that can be used for all the "following" events. When you leave the building, and the events are no longer following, each event will need to have its x- and y- values stored...so that's 2 variables needed per event. Now you just need to make the following conditional check: which coordinates do you use?

At the moment I tried doing it so I place every zombie event in a corner where it's not accessible then if switch is on, "zombie1" for example gets transferred at the start of the map so it can continue following you.

I also made it so the zombie gets it's coordinates stored after being moved to save me from having to use another switch for the updating.

To update them I made it so when you step on a transfer event to exit the map, "zombie1" gets it's x and y coordinates updated then when you enter the map again there's a parallel process with set event location "zombie1" with coordinates variable x and y that were stored earlier.

So every time you exit the map the values will be updated and when you enter the map again the event will be transferred on the last saved coordinates.

@Zexion I know I'm over thinking but that's who I am I try to make everything seem "realistic" sometimes too much that I end up stopping from continuing the project. (Somnium tough that had fault with xp engine not powerful enough to handle dynamic events well)

Since in alive you don't fight in my opinion this helps in adding a sense of danger in the maps not having every zombie go back to it's starting position when you exit the map.

Imagine you were running from a bunch of zombies in a town and managed to enter a house without them reaching you then on your way out the map loads and those zombies are still near the house waiting for their snack hehe :D

----

Slightly off topic but I'm still contemplating regarding their movement speed 2 is slow that even walking is faster, on the other hand, speed 3 seems too fast for my tastes. (Tough it makes you run for your life hehe)

Wish there was something in between.
Current Project/s:

Zexion

I just remembered something that you might want to try:
Self Data Suite
It adds self variables switches etc. to ALL events. This prevents it from using up default variables. The only thing is, I don't know whether these reset on every map (which would make it useless l0l)
But it adds self variables/switches/metadata to armour/weapons/items/events/and common events. So maybe if you learn how it works, you could set it up in a common event o.o? I've wanted to use this for several things, but I never got around to it lol

Vexus

From what I'm reading it doesn't carry on it seems.

Oh well I'll just try and see how it will work using multiple switches/variables it's not like there will be 100s of zombies in a single map heh.
Current Project/s: