G_G

May 17, 2009, 01:40:40 pm Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 08:33:21 pm by game_guy
Rare Candy Script
Authors: game_guy
Version: 1.3
Type: Item Level Increaser
Key Term: Misc Add-on

Introduction

Remember in pokemon how rare candies leveled up your pokemon? This does the same.

Features

• Use an item and it levels up the target.

Screenshots

N/A

Demo

Demo v 1.0

Script

v 1.3
Spoiler: ShowHide

module GameGuy
  LevelUpItems       = [1, 3] # Place level up items in there. Seperate with commas.
  LevelDownItems   = [2, 4]
end

class Game_Battler
  alias level_up_items item_effect
  def item_effect(item)
    self.level += 1 if GameGuy::LevelUpItems.include?(item.id)
    elsif GameGuy::LevelDownItems.include?(item.id)
    self.level -= 1
    level_up_items(item)
  end
end

Instructions

In line 2 place items between []
LevelUpItems = [1, 3] # Place level up items in there. Seperate with commas.

Compatibility

Not tested with SDK. Should work with other item effects.

Credits and Thanks

• game_guy ~ For making it
  • WcW ~ Special thanks for helping me make the script way better to use. Thanks WcW

Author's Notes

Enjoy!

Starrodkirby86

Don't know how crazy this will be, but try making a Level-Down script? And can you add effects with it? Such as...Level Down + 500 max hp or something.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

G_G

That could be arranged. In fact I'll update teh script now.

legacyblade

This script is kinda pointless, seeing as how it is a script that could be done with a single event, but good job anyways, XD

Aqua

How about make it level up different amounts of levels depending on the item; changing all kinds of stats regardless of level up, level down, or neither; and uh... make you have less stats the move you use the item as opposed to training...

G_G

Lb how would you define a target so easily with an event? If you set a common event to an item it automatically goes to the map and doesnt let you select a target.

And how is the common event supposed to know what target you want?

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Elite Four Aqua on May 17, 2009, 10:35:18 pm
How about make it level up different amounts of levels depending on the item; changing all kinds of stats regardless of level up, level down, or neither; and uh... make you have less stats the move you use the item as opposed to training...
game_guy, please do not do the latter part of what Aqua mentioned. This is totally inaccurate of the Rare Candy system.

The Rare Candy system simply levels it up, without any battling bonuses. The reason why stats are higher supposedly when you battle is because of the EV growth rates obtained from defeated each Pokemon. This would mean once EV values are maxed, Rare Candy use is welcome to get all the full benefits of your EV-pumped Pokemon.

At least, theoretically in my eyes. I never bothered training to that point, so I can't have an honest to own personal experience with that.

Have other features though. Crazy stat changes, level pumps, etc. etc. Make something that's hard to event.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

legacyblade

@Game_guy, oh yah, most people don't use script calls in events. With a script call, this would be simple :P But like I said, it's a good script, I just find it redundant. (because I like the script calls)

G_G

How would you use a script call in this though? It doesnt even let you select a target if the item is embeded with a common event. So yea it wouldnt really work unless you wanted to use show choices which is bleh.

Blizzard

Ok, let's all throw in pointless suggestions. How about decreasing MaxHP while calling a common event? Oh wait.

Spoiler: ShowHide

The level up part isn't so pointless as it would be overcomplicated with events (as I already said in the pokemon topic).
Besides your script is broken. It messes up item usage in general. I can tell from looking at the code.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

legacyblade

Yah, you're right now that I think of it. I might be able to do it via script call, but it'd be a hassle.

G_G

How does it ruin the whole item thing?

fugibo

I just glanced over it, but from what I saw 1) the items that were defined as level up/level down wouldn't perform their normal actions (good job there) and 2) Your coding style is kinda bad, you need to clean it up and comment it out (also, maxhpplus should be rarecandy_maxhp_config [or similar] and should go in the GameGuy module)

G_G

From what I understood rare candies never did anything else other than level up the character. Healing HP or anything else would be wierd for a rare candy to do.

fugibo

May 18, 2009, 08:26:13 pm #14 Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 08:33:34 pm by WcW
Quote from: game_guy on May 18, 2009, 08:18:45 pm
From what I understood rare candies never did anything else other than level up the character. Healing HP or anything else would be wierd for a rare candy to do.

I'd have to say that you suck as a scripter if that's your mentality -- it's your job to make the script, not to decide how people want to use it.

And your method would be better as

self.level -= 1 if GameGuy::LevelDownItems.include?(item.id)
level_up_items

Just a suggestion ;)

EDIT: Argh @ formatting

G_G

May 18, 2009, 08:30:54 pm #15 Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 08:32:40 pm by game_guy
Quote from: WcW on May 18, 2009, 08:26:13 pm
Quote from: game_guy on May 18, 2009, 08:18:45 pm

I'd have to say that you suck as a scripter if that's your mentality -- it's your job to make the script, not to decide how people want to use it.

And your method would be better as

self.level -= 1 if GameGuy::LevelDownItems.include?(item.id)
level_up_items
[code]
Just a suggestion ;)
[/code]

Wow that passed right over my head!!! Thanks WcW I'll fix this right away with that! If you dont mind I'm gonna fix the script real fast with this. *powers up*

EDIT: Updated thanks to WcW

To decrease stats or whatever or raise them or whatever that you want with a rare candy just add the values via item now thank you wcw

fugibo

okay then.

i hate it when people thank me enthusiastically.

i always think they're really dio in disguise, and that it's sarcasm.

G_G

I guess than this'll do?

Thanks WcW for helping my script be better.

There just a regular statement.

fugibo

Thank you.

And don't credit me, I hate that. I only do it to Blizz to try and annoy him.

Heck, I'm just a reference-phobe. I dodged pretty much every picture I could in the yearbook this year, and it made me happy that they didn't even mention me. XD

G_G

Well you're still being credited whether you like it or not.....

Anyways any suggestions I could add for the script? As if it werent simple enough. lol