[XP] Bloodlines - Online RPG

Started by mroedesigns, January 07, 2011, 06:30:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mroedesigns

January 07, 2011, 06:30:19 am Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 03:05:13 am by mroedesigns

An online RPG in development by MRoe Designs

(Click image to go to the development blog)

Introduction
Spoiler: ShowHide
This game is still very much under development. Right now, schedule-wise we are looking at beginning alpha/beat tests sometime around April or May. With that being said, any and all information in this thread is subject to change at any point. What you see here may not be final.

Credits

Blizzard - Scripts, scripts, and a couple more scripts.
GameGuy - Quest Log script
Incompetech - Parts of the soundtrack
The Inquisitor - Tilesets
Leon_Westbrooke - Passive skills script
LiTTleDRAgo - Blizz ABS Enemy HP Meter
Markchapman10 - Mapping & Eventing
Nathmatt - Blizz ABS Addon - Battle Music
Ryex - Mouse Window APIs
Winkio - Blizz ABS Addon - Action Recharge Times
Wizered67 - Custom Mouse Windows

Anyone and everyone else who has helped me through the design and development of Bloodlines.

If I'm using something of yours and somehow forgot to give you credit for it, PLEASE do not hesitate to remind me. The last thing I want to do is not give appreciation where it's deserved.

Team

MRoeDesigns - Lead Designer / Lead Eventer

Markchapman10 - Mapper & Eventer

You - Writer? Scripter? Mapper? Artist? Check this post out.

World & Story

World Map

World Info

The world in which the players reside, known as Serran, is largely unexplored. Though recorded history goes back at least 1100 years, the people have stuck mainly to their native continent, now known as Serran. Tales are told in hush whispers about what lies beyond the oceans, but few have dared to find out, and even less have ever returned. Though the majority of the population is human, the cultures have very distinct differences.

The Terrivian tribes of the northeast are the oldest known society. Their culture is very close, and family oriented. Much of the worlds wisdom of sciences and magic have come from Terrivian elders and seers. They are a very spiritual people, and believe in multiple Gods and Goddesses. They live in small tribes and villages.

Pyrburn, found to the west of Terriva, is a thriving military city. Its residents are mostly upper class citizens, who look down on anyone who isn't practically swimming in money. Though the citizens there are known to be quite rude, it is the biggest city in Serran, due to the military forces who also reside in the city. Those forces ended up there after the first war. Originally stationed in Newmill, they were driven back by Belro's forces.

The Newmill Barrens stand as a desolate reminder of war. It was destroyed by King Belro in a show of power against King Simeon's military, and it was never rebuilt. Of the population who survived the attack, most were forced into Simeon's army, or left to their own ends.

The monks of Blackwyn are a mysterious people. They descend from Terrivian ancestors who traveled further south-west of their homelands. There, they adopted a new style of living, which focused mainly on self-reflection and improvement. The majority of these people, who call them selves 'Anchorites' ('anchori' meaning knowledge in Terrivian), are mostly born into the circle, though it is possible for an outsider to join.

Alton is a mining village at the base of the mountains where Blackwyn is located. These people are the only natives to Serran other than the Terrivians. A tough, hardworking people who don't mind doing the dirty work nobody else will. A lot of the older citizens are surviving veterans of Simeons army from the first war.

New Brasetol is a small fishing town. Settlers from the south, they claimed parts of the territories previously unpopulated when their native island to the south was sunken due to a massive earthquake. The natives of these island now occupy most of southern Serran, including Baywick and Draccrest.

Baywick is a trading capital between Alton, and New Brasetol. The population is a melting pot of the rest of the lands. People from all parts of the continent come here to trade and conduct business

Draccrest is a small city, and is where Belro Avery was born and raised. He and his private military forces still reside there to this day. The civilians of this city have mostly been forced into labor by Belro, and those who haven't are still under his rule.

Storyline

King Simeon Whyte ruled over the lands of Serran for 33 years before he was struck down. Third in his lineage, his family was well known for being great warriors, and even better leaders. They cared about their people, each and every one of them. But that's not the way it is any longer.

When King Simeon was killed, everything changed. Belro Avery was a well known villain, having desolated New Mill Haven but 4 years prior. But nobody thought he would ever dare challenge the King, nor His army. When Belro stormed the gates of the castle, there was something different about his army. Something dark in the eyes, the souls even, of the soldiers.

They slaughtered anyone and everyone in their path, showing mercy not to child nor mother. When they finally got to King Whyte, his royal guard was tossed aside as if they were untrained rookies. To this day, Belro keeps with him the dagger that ended the life and reign of the Whyte family.

Screenshots

Servers up!

In Combat

Menu System

Unique Features

Character Backgrounds

Instead of having specific classes, players instead choose backgrounds for their characters when first creating them. These character background choices influence the characters beginning stats, as well as what skills the character starts with. This acts as a good  way to still tweak your character to your personal style (ie choosing to be an anchorite for a spell caster, starting your player off with a higher intelligence rating than others. )

• Anchorite

• Spoiler: ShowHide
    Raised in a monastery in the top of Mount Blackwyn, you spent the majority of your childhood in contemplation, reflection, and study. Through academic works and meditation, you honed your passion for knowledge in the fire of your will. Through firm discipline and determination, you constantly push yourself to unlock lore, whether it's hidden in ancient texts, or revealed through constant meditative practice.
    Bonus Stats :: +3 Intelligence, -2 Strength
    Starting Skills :: (2 offensive spells, read arcane, willpower)

• Charlatan

You spent your entire life on the road, moving from town to town. You get by taking odd jobs where you can find them, or other measures if the need arises. People are your stock in trade; your keen understanding of their attitudes, behaviors and desires keeps you alive and safe the majority of the time. Survival has always been your first priority, and you have become quite good at it.
    Bonus Stats :: +3 Charisma, -2 Intelligence
    Starting Skills :: Survival, Tracking, Persuasion, Archery

• Ruffian

Born into poverty, you grew up on the streets. When other children went home to their parents, you slept in back alleys and dilapidated abandoned buildings, getting food from where you could and making friends and family out of those in similar straits. Those with roofs over their heads and doors to close against the night looked down upon you, calling you a worthless, no-good street urchin. They didn't understand the kind of skills you possessed, skills that allowed you to find what you needed to survive, whether that was food, drinkable water, or a safe place to sleep.
    Bonus Stats :: +4 Agility, -1 Strength
    Starting Skills :: Pick lock, pick pocket, thrown weapons

• Terrivian

You were born into one of the Terrivian tribes of the north-east. You were raised by the members of your extended family, all of who participated in your life to one extent or another. Your mother taught you took gather food and cook, your father taught you to hunt and fish. Your grandfather taught you to treat hides and make weapons, and your grandmother taught you the history of your people. Everyone had his or her place at home, and you experienced times of both great joy and sorrow with all your kin.
    Bonus Stats :: +1 Agility, +1 Strength, -1 Charisma
    Starting Skills :: Hunters Advantage, Archery, Thrown Weapons

Skills

Unlike most RPGs, in Bloodlines every character has the ability to learn every skill. The skills simply have certain level and stat requirements (ie Fireball may require level 5 and 8 intelligence), as well as certain prerequisites (skills you must know before learning other spells, ie Healing 1 > Healing 2). Players are given a certain number of skill points each time they gain a level, and they can go to librarians to purchase skill books to train. This system is simple, and easy to understand, while still allowing players a very high level of character characterisation.

Religion

Blackwyn Monks
   The monks in the monastery at the top of Mount Blackwyn are the most prominent point of religion in Bloodlines. They somewhat resemble Buddhism in that they strive for knowledge and inner peace more than following the will of their God. They do believe in a supreme    creator, though they feel that it does not control what happens to the people of the world, and    that it does not enforce any consequences. These monks believe that when you die, your physical body is left as a shell, and that your spirit moves on to a separate plane of existence. Where you go depends not necessarily upon your actions in relevance to others, but the level of peace you attained before you died. Their religion has no official name, nor do they have any hierarchy of priests or pastors.

Darji
   Darji is the only other religion mentioned in Bloodlines. Followers of Darji are often assumed to be involved with necromancy and the summoning of demons.  The demons are said     to come from a lower plane of existence, where souls who weren't at unrest go when they die. There they regret for eternity what they did, and eventually go mad. The souls will then make deals with dark magi in order to return to the physical plane temporarily. Due to this, demons are often known for betraying or even killing the people who summon them, and running rampant until the eventually return to the lower planes due to the binding rights wearing off.

General Magic

Magic is, as with anything else, a trained skill. The people of Bloodlines believe that everybody has the ability to preform magic, it just depends on how dedicated a person is. Magic doesn't tie specifically to any certain religion or deity, nor does it necessarily require any special items.    

Magic & Religion

Magic and religion are not necessarily tied, in that none of the world religions speak specifically on the use or knowledge of magic. However, certain religions are known for going hand in hand with certain types of magic. For instance followers of Darji are often assumed to be involved with necromancy and the summoning of demons. The Blackwyn Monks do not practice magic as part of their religion, though some of the monks do use it.

Futendra

Wow! Im really liking this, as soon as it releases, Im in!

Need staff?

Hows the port going?

WhiteRose

This sounds promising. I'll be sure to give the demo a try once it's available.

Futendra

Quote from: WhiteRose on January 07, 2011, 10:43:48 am

Then with 2, we are,.

mroedesigns

January 07, 2011, 01:51:49 pm #4 Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 01:56:32 pm by mroedesigns
Quote from: Futendra on January 07, 2011, 08:34:25 am

Thank you! :D

Need staff?

Hows the port going?

I could use a scripter or two, as well as some artists if anyone is interested :]
and the port is coming along. I think my ISP blocks certain ports or something because I got it to work with 3306, but no other ports.. idk yet what's going on with that;

Thank you! Right now I'm shooting for alpha/beta testing around May-ish, maybe sooner.

Futendra

Quote from: mroedesigns on January 07, 2011, 01:51:49 pm

Thank you! :D

Need staff?

Hows the port going?

I could use a scripter or two, as well as some artists if anyone is interested :]
and the port is coming along. I think my ISP blocks certain ports or something because I got it to work with 3306, but no other ports.. idk yet what's going on with that;

Thank you! Right now I'm shooting for alpha/beta testing around May-ish, maybe sooner.

What do you want for artist?

I mioght get in for that :D

mroedesigns

Quote from: Futendra on January 07, 2011, 02:32:34 pm
What do you want for artist?

I mioght get in for that :D

The biggest project we have as far art is concerned is making the paper-dolling graphics for the visual equipment system. That's whats going to take the most amount of time. Other things include various sprites / tile sets.

Wizered67

Good luck with this project. It looks really cool. Also, if you want pre-made visual equipment check http://www.hbgames.tk/resources/Sprites/list.php?start=0. There's various visual equipment things up to page 14 scattered on each page. I'm using them for my mmo.

mroedesigns

Quote from: Wizered67 on January 07, 2011, 03:10:50 pm
Good luck with this project. It looks really cool. Also, if you want pre-made visual equipment check http://www.hbgames.tk/resources/Sprites/list.php?start=0. There's various visual equipment things up to page 14 scattered on each page. I'm using them for my mmo.

Awesome, thank you for the resources! :D

Wizered67

No problem, and good luck again! I'll probably play this when it is released.

mroedesigns

Quote from: Wizered67 on January 07, 2011, 03:18:46 pm

Wow! Im glad that people are actually interested ^.^

Thanks, guys.

Futendra

Quote from: mroedesigns on January 07, 2011, 03:24:32 pm
Quote from: Wizered67 on January 07, 2011, 03:18:46 pm

Wow! Im glad that people are actually interested ^.^

Thanks, guys.

I can do some hand drawn stuff, to a lil photoshop. I can also make some kind of website, but Im not to HTML too much anymore, since I stopped the webdesign classes, All I can do is doing the stuff, not putting it all in the layout...

I can make some stuff, and just help when Its released as a mod or something

mroedesigns

Quote from: Futendra on January 07, 2011, 03:47:53 pm
I can do some hand drawn stuff, to a lil photoshop. I can also make some kind of website, but Im not to HTML too much anymore, since I stopped the webdesign classes, All I can do is doing the stuff, not putting it all in the layout...

I can make some stuff, and just help when Its released as a mod or something

Alright, well I'll let you know :]

Futendra

Are the class levels all looking the same? or is the higher level, the more awesome your character looks?

mroedesigns

Quote from: Futendra on January 08, 2011, 05:18:21 am
Are the class levels all looking the same? or is the higher level, the more awesome your character looks?

By class I assume you mean the origins? Origins don't change your characters looks, nor do you gain any levels in any 'class'. Basically when you create a character, you chose an origin or background for your character. This decides your characters starting bonuses, what skills you start with, and where you begin when you first play. Other than that, every character in Bloodlines has the opportunity to learn any and every skill in the game, giving a very highly-customizable character and play experience.

Futendra

Quote from: mroedesigns on January 08, 2011, 05:27:22 am
Quote from: Futendra on January 08, 2011, 05:18:21 am

By class I assume you mean the origins? Origins don't change your characters looks, nor do you gain any levels in any 'class'. Basically when you create a character, you chose an origin or background for your character. This decides your characters starting bonuses, what skills you start with, and where you begin when you first play. Other than that, every character in Bloodlines has the opportunity to learn any and every skill in the game, giving a very highly-customizable character and play experience.

Well, so every single person looks exactly the same? hmm... maybe make it sot hey dont? :D Just so everyone is a little bit more unique, and so the game doesnt look like a copy paste game XD

mroedesigns

Quote from: Futendra on January 08, 2011, 06:00:41 am
Well, so every single person looks exactly the same? hmm... maybe make it sot hey dont? :D Just so everyone is a little bit more unique, and so the game doesnt look like a copy paste game XD

For now they all look like one of 4 premade sprites, with a bit of paperdolling (visual equipment). So no, they don't all look the same, but they do look very similar. For reasons mainly of resources, there aren't different races, just origins. Think of it this way, if you're using a visual equipment system then you have to make a spritesheet for every weapon/armor/ect in the game. Now think if I had other races that were different sizes (ie a human compared to a short dwarf). Now I have to have two spirtesheets made for every thing, one to fit Humans, and one to fit Dwarves. When you're working on a project that's basically single-man, you want the least amount of work possible outside of standard development if that makes sense.

But down the road I plan to add more character customization, even if I don't add races (ie hair style and color, facial details, and maybe a few other things), and maybe even races. Like I said, right now it's a matter of managing my workload.

Futendra

Quote from: mroedesigns on January 08, 2011, 06:29:46 am
Quote from: Futendra on January 08, 2011, 06:00:41 am

For now they all look like one of 4 premade sprites, with a bit of paperdolling (visual equipment). So no, they don't all look the same, but they do look very similar. For reasons mainly of resources, there aren't different races, just origins. Think of it this way, if you're using a visual equipment system then you have to make a spritesheet for every weapon/armor/ect in the game. Now think if I had other races that were different sizes (ie a human compared to a short dwarf). Now I have to have two spirtesheets made for every thing, one to fit Humans, and one to fit Dwarves. When you're working on a project that's basically single-man, you want the least amount of work possible outside of standard development if that makes sense.

But down the road I plan to add more character customization, even if I don't add races (ie hair style and color, facial details, and maybe a few other things), and maybe even races. Like I said, right now it's a matter of managing my workload.

There you go mate! http://untamed.wild-refuge.net/rmxpresources.php?characters
Free to use, and they are great!

mroedesigns

Quote from: Futendra on January 08, 2011, 07:03:04 am

Thanks, those are some nice character sets. But that doesn't change what I was talking about :p

Futendra

Quote from: mroedesigns on January 08, 2011, 07:30:51 am
Quote from: Futendra on January 08, 2011, 07:03:04 am

Thanks, those are some nice character sets. But that doesn't change what I was talking about :p

You dont need to use different sizes, that is insanely much work, you can add elves like the charactersets i gave you now.