Fantasist's first attempt at music (Trance or w/e)

Started by Fantasist, April 11, 2009, 04:49:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fantasist

April 11, 2009, 04:49:37 pm Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 04:51:43 pm by Mirage
So here it is. After some tinkering with FL Studio this is what I came up with. I know it's too short and could do with better editing, but I couldn't resist posting it here :shifty: . I feel the tunes are a bit dull, I'll have to improve on that.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tdv8y1 (1.29 MB, 1:25 minutes)

So what do you guys think?

Rules: This is for evaluation only and should not be used anywhere. You can store it for listening only.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Starrodkirby86

The Fantasist...Whooooo, such an interesting artist name...Heh, really, I can't put my finger on it but it's entertaining to hear. The artist name, not the song mind you. I'll have my comments on that next line.

I'm listening to it...To say from the start, I'm not sure what general direction the song is really going for. It's a near generic Trance type song, which is interesting, but you need to go out with something that's truly enthralling.

The tune does work out well at points. You do make some sort of build-up, but there isn't really anything after that...As in of an escalating excitement thing, you get me? It's hard to really point out at words for something musical.

The end beat is actually pretty cool to have, had it been used for something else. The end is really abrupt because of that. If you used it for something else, say a transition to something pretty spiffy, it'd be a nice addition.

Great job on this, I suppose. Haha...No I suppose, great work. :3

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Fantasist

First off, thanks for the quick reply :)

QuoteI'm listening to it...To say from the start, I'm not sure what general direction the song is really going for. It's a near generic Trance type song, which is interesting, but you need to go out with something that's truly enthralling.

I know what you mean. You can take 2-3 bits of music, add lots of repetition to make a generic trance song (which I did :xD:), but the song has to have some life in it... I need to listen to a LOT of stuff to get that aptitude... that's what my dad's been saying ever since I started on this and I better heed his advice.

QuoteThe tune does work out well at points. You do make some sort of build-up, but there isn't really anything after that...As in of an escalating excitement thing, you get me? It's hard to really point out at words for something musical.

Duly noted. I've been listening to it after posting it and the background is too repetitive! (I'm irritated already >.<) I should make it go somewhere... got it.

QuoteThe end beat is actually pretty cool to have, had it been used for something else. The end is really abrupt because of that. If you used it for something else, say a transition to something pretty spiffy, it'd be a nice addition.

The end is abrupt, yes... I'll work on that.

You know, when I saw you online, I expected an immediate response. I should be sleeping right now :shifty:
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

Starrodkirby86

Oh, you know me with works coming from the respected. ...Or rather works around these forums that don't require much effort.

You better head on over to bed, and possibly think of more melodies and combinations to go with this abomination (Just kidding there, just a lame attempt for rhyming).

I agree, please do listen to many tracks. Rhythm games give you an obligation to do that, so maybe you can go on the fast lane there.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Reno-s--Joker

:) I've been tinkering with FL Studio recently as well. But I'm not as brave to post any of my stuff. D:

Curious - do you have any musical background?

Anyways, I like the main melody thingy - however the one of the background sounds (which kinda reverbs and echoes and comes in after the melody has played once [sorry - I know nothing about music]) seems a little unharmonious to me. I also thought the piece deserved a bit more of a hardcore drumming pattern perhaps later on in the song.

Otherwise, I think this is great! I really struggle with FL Studio, so I think you've done a very good job so far. :) *power up*

Fantasist

@Star: I've been listing some classics to listen to. I hope I learn something.

@Reno:

QuoteCurious - do you have any musical background?

Barely. I've been to Piano classes twice or thrice only to quit when I reached the deeper parts. Always completed the major scales and done some minor scales. I've got knowledge about the basics like scales, chords and some musical theory. I can't read or write music sheets, though.

QuoteAnyways, I like the main melody thingy - however the one of the background sounds (which kinda reverbs and echoes and comes in after the melody has played once [sorry - I know nothing about music]) seems a little unharmonious to me.

The sound which seems to be playing under water? Yeah, I know. Most of the sounds are rendered by Sytrus (look it up on the net, it's one of the most powerful synthesizers FL Studio offers), but all of them are presets (in the "Sytrus" list on the left collection pane). I have no clue about what those various settings do, I should learn more about it.

QuoteI also thought the piece deserved a bit more of a hardcore drumming pattern perhaps later on in the song.

Hardcore drumming pattern... I don't get what you exactly mean by that, but yes, it could do with better beats. I'll remember that. Thanks for the compliments :)

Reno-s--Joker

April 12, 2009, 06:03:16 am #6 Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 06:20:43 am by Reno-s--Batman
Quote from: Mirage on April 12, 2009, 05:43:18 am
QuoteCurious - do you have any musical background?

Barely. I've been to Piano classes twice or thrice only to quit when I reached the deeper parts. Always completed the major scales and done some minor scales. I've got knowledge about the basics like scales, chords and some musical theory. I can't read or write music sheets, though.

Muahahah even better! High five. =D *powers up again*
Yes, I realised I should have paid more attention in the mandatory music lessons at school - knowing chords can really help you add layers to your music (especially melodies) in the piano roll. :(

The sound which seems to be playing under water? Yeah, I know. Most of the sounds are rendered by Sytrus (look it up on the net, it's one of the most powerful synthesizers FL Studio offers), but all of them are presets (in the "Sytrus" list on the left collection pane). I have no clue about what those various settings do, I should learn more about it.

I think I know what you're talking about - at least I know there are some 'arpeggio' sounds which play multiple notes depending on the note which you actually assigned them (e.g. you tell it to play C in piano roll, and then it plays C E G). Lol, I don't think I'm making much sense since I know so little about music. D:

Hardcore drumming pattern... I don't get what you exactly mean by that, but yes, it could do with better beats. I'll remember that. Thanks for the compliments :)

I'll try and find an example for you... come to think about it - I don't know many songs which have one. o.O;
EDIT: The only one I can think of atm is the beat in Victims of Science - The Device Has Been Modified after she says 'The device has been modified' for the first time. Lol, obscure I know. Nvm I guess.
But yeah it has a sort of skipping beat and distorted quality which I thought might suit your song. :)

Tazero

Meta's Review:

I personally liked it ...alot but it was calm i was waiting for the build up to release but it didn't....
When it began i thought 'Windows atart up....' But it got better from there.
of a Newgrounds scale you get 4/5 9/10 review and rating scale.

We are now stopping this program for a public service announcment

If you were a fish...

Blizzard

April 13, 2009, 04:18:09 pm #8 Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 04:30:11 pm by Blizzard
I have a list of so-called exotic scales which often sound well with Trance. I'll get back to you when I listened to your song.

EDIT: As already said, it's too repetitive. Listening to other songs is a very good idea. You should try to separate your song into logical parts like I do in my songs. Then you set up each part. I could send your some of my older projects if you wanna take a look at them.
I also suggest not to overuse the reverb if you don't know what you are doing. I did a good job in Purification and The Future 3000, but it took me hours to get it right. Using Flanger and Stereo Enhancer is always good. And you will probably have to equalize your stuff often. I often experiment with sounds until they sound good. I also often keep experimenting further until I realize that I can't get it better and that I already did it the best way it could be done. So I reverse my last couple of actions (or reload the project from a file) and continue working on something else.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.