Online System for RMXP

Started by C.C. rOyAl, August 30, 2009, 01:52:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

C.C. rOyAl

Hey guys i've been looking over all the online systems for RMXP and it seems Netplay would be the best way to go. I know most of you guys are gonna be saying RMX-OS but its just not as completed and put together as some of the others ive seen (im not sayin to wont but right now 1.0 isnt even released.)
If anyone has any better suggestions, thoughts, tips, and etc feel free to reply!
Spoiler: ShowHide

Blizzard

August 30, 2009, 05:22:47 am #1 Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 05:33:49 am by Blizzard
You know why it's not v1.0? Because I don't make stuff halfheartedly. When I do something, I do it right.
You say Netplay is more "completed". Define "completed". I define it as lagfree, bugfree, stable and covering all important features which RMX-OS does better than the other systems even though it's not version 1.0 yet.

Do you know why there is a version 3.x of Netplay+? Because they are still working on it. It's been 5 years and it STILL has bugs (one of the reasons I am making RMX-OS is to replace Netplay+ 3 in an MMO project because it's too buggy). v2.0 was the first to have SQL data saving. And that was only data related to the MMO engine itself. RMX-OS has SQL data saving since the first release which was version 0.8. It is a critical feature and Netplay+ didn't have it until version 2. "Completed" you say? Right.
Also, RMX-OS doesn't save only MMO engine data, but it can be configured to save absolutely anything you want. You can use the Pokemon Starter Kit which is a very, very heavily modified version of the RTP scripts. It has completely different data and you can't simply save that data with Netplay+ without having to edit the Netplay+ script, most probably the Netplay+ server as well and even the database itself. In RMX-OS all you have to do is configure. No scripting, no Ruby (except for the basic Ruby that you need to configure this complicate part) and no SQL knowledge. The first time in the RMXP history it is possible to make an MMO WITHOUT having the need for a scripter.

I have used and worked with Netplay+. It's alright, but it has some really major flaws that can't be simply fixed without revamping the entire system. And nobody's going to revamp Netplay+. Instead of fixing the stuff that isn't working properly, they keep on adding features. You don't build a house on a bad foundation either so why are you doing that with software? -_- I bet Netplay STILL has the bug where chat messages get lost during transfer (which is present AT LEAST since version 1.7).

So before slandering about any of the systems, you should first know some facts.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

C.C. rOyAl

well shit i just got owned in the face   :O.o:
im sorry, when  i tried RMX-OS, after i got to the part in the manual where it hadn't been written yet i got lost so i didnt know how to setup the server. im sorry  i offended you for the second time now... :shy:

Blizzard

No, it's alright. I'm just saying that you should have researched a bit more. xD The parts that weren't written yet are mainly documentation. It's nothing the average user needs to bother with. In any case if you had problems with RMX-OS, you could always have posted or tried the search function in the manual. There's a step-by-step installation guide and that's pretty much all you need to read to get everything running.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

C.C. rOyAl

would i be able to download ruby and the things i need for the server onto a flash drive? also would i always have to have to server window open for the game to be online?

Blizzard

Sure. You just won't be able to run the server by double clicking on the icon if you don't actually install Ruby properly.
And yes, you need to have the window open. The server is like a program. You need to start it in order for it to work.

fugibo

Quote from: Blizzard on August 30, 2009, 01:44:10 pm
Sure. You just won't be able to run the server by double clicking on the icon if you don't actually install Ruby properly.
And yes, you need to have the window open. The server is like a program. You need to start it in order for it to work.

You can hide the window, though - change the extension to .rbw instead of .rb.

Blizzard

Oh, nice. Didn't know that. I never tried rbw extensions.

C.C. rOyAl

oh crap. so if i wanted to still have a life outside my moms computer i would need someone to run the server for me im guessin?

Blizzard