Evented Battlesystem

Started by C.C. rOyAl, November 08, 2009, 11:25:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

C.C. rOyAl

So Jalm suggested i should make a battle system like from Suikoden V. Yet.... I have no clue where to start! lemme know your knowledge!
Spoiler: ShowHide

legacyblade

start by setting up the whole rock paper scissor like system using "show choice". Once you've got that in place, add support for health. Then make it pretty. (add animations, graphics, etc.) That's how I'd do it, anyways.

C.C. rOyAl

thanks. now that you actually kinda set it up, its really simple im douche sometimes  :naughty:
anyway thanks *LVL UP*

lol only ten lvls away lb

legacyblade

np. I know exactly how you feel, you have an idea of what you want to happen, and how to do it. But the first steps are always the hardest, like figuring out what to do first :P

Thanks for the lvl up, but only ten levels away from what?

Aqua

RoseSkye

Quote from: legacyblade on November 08, 2009, 11:35:45 pm
start by setting up the whole rock paper scissor like system using "show choice". Once you've got that in place, add support for health. Then make it pretty. (add animations, graphics, etc.) That's how I'd do it, anyways.

.. thats like the toddler version of a beginner system. Variables + conditional branches = better way to go.

C.C. rOyAl

toddler toys are so entertaining lol

legacyblade

It's how the dueling system in that game worked. While it's not the kind of battle system I'd want, it was a very popular feature of those games.

GAX

Using conditional branches and stuff for an evented system is the only real way to go, atleast for the Battle Processing.

If you get this system done using that, I'd suggest looking into scripting because there is some nice potential with this kind of system.

Rule 2: ShowHide
Quote from: Rule No.2Keep your signatures at reasonable size. The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB and take up an area of 1600px2. That means 2 pictures of 400x200 are fine, one picture of 800x200 is fine and so on. Also your pictures height must not exceed 200 pixels, width can be as big as you want as long as your pictures match the other criteria. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

fugibo

Quote from: GuardianAngelX72 on November 12, 2009, 06:18:50 pm
Using conditional branches and stuff for an evented system is the only real way to go, atleast for the Battle Processing.

If you get this system done using that, I'd suggest looking into scripting because there is some nice potential with this kind of system.

Agreed. RGSS makes Events look absolutely pointless.

Blizzard

November 16, 2009, 04:09:20 am #10 Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 04:10:33 am by Blizzard
Saying that events are pointless is like saying that creating functions and methods is pointless.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

legacyblade

^ here here. In addition to a lot of simple event systems, try SCRIPTING a cutscene in RGSS. (particularly one to the caliber of the cutscenes found in Quintessence-TBV) Events can make a great many game systems that would be a huge pain if you try to script them (that's not to say that I don't regularly use script calls in eventing though)

C.C. rOyAl

well everyone thinks conditional branches are the way to go soo.... help me out i never use 'em...  :shy:

Event Master

You actually could make a simple battle eventing quite easily. Make each stat a variable, make an options menu, then have a loop that repeats it. Calling common events could be usefull in performing operations, like basic attack for enemy, and calculating EXP, but it's better that you use the RGSS scripts to perform this, unless you just want very slight modifications.
World's Greatest Gravedigger

Blizzard

Since this is already the 4th topic you have gravedug, I have decided to have some fun and impale you with my imaginary spear.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.