Creating a new RP

Started by WhiteRose, August 27, 2013, 02:40:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteRose

August 27, 2013, 02:40:36 pm Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:03:30 pm by WhiteRose
Introduction

Hello! The RP board has been pretty quiet recently. I realize that a lot of CP's RP veterans, like Dio or Hexamin, have left to travel other roads, and that a lot of newer members here at CP aren't interested in participating in RPs because they are either too confusing or just simply aren't their style. My hope is to start a new RP that will be fun for newcomers to RPs and to RP veterans alike; it will accessible, fun, and, most importantly, I, as the storyteller, will be posting at the very least of once every day (with possibly very few exceptions, which I will make known before hand,) in the RP thread once it begins to keep things moving. I understand that not everyone has time for this same level of commitment (although, honestly, it does only take about five minutes to throw a post together, so I encourage it :D,) so the RP will be structured in a way that people who sign up can spend as much or as little time as they would like in the thread.

RP Basics
For those who are new to RPs, here is some information that you might find helpful:
Spoiler: ShowHide

What is an RP?
"RP" stands for "Role-play," just like the "RP" in "RP"G Maker. A forum RP is similar in many respects to a typical RPG that one might make, and different in a few other ways. Here are a few aspects of a forum RP:
  • Multiplayer - the number of people who are able to play is up to the discretion of the story-teller. In this RP, as many people as are interested will be able to play!
  • Text-based - though graphical images are welcome, (images such as maps are often used,) the majority of the game takes place just through typing. Typing a post in an RP is just like typing a post anywhere else on the forum. This means that things are able to be fast-paced, without having to wait for graphic design and so on, and also means that the game can be placed on any device that is able to access the forum, and at any time.
  • You are your character - the type of "role-playing" that happens in a forum RP is less like what you might find in, for example, Final Fantasy, where it is based largely on the calculation of numbers, the allocation of stat points, and so on, and is more like old-style RPs, such as Dungeons and Dragons. Those playing will act "in-character," meaning that in your post, you narrate the actions of your character. It's like helping to write a big novel, except that it is unfolding in real-time, and your actions directly affect what is going to happen! You will sometimes interact with other player characters, but the majority of people that you meet are controlled by the storyteller (for this RP, that will be me, but anyone is welcome to make their own RP if they want to try being a storyteller themselves. :))

One of the best ways to see how an RP works is to take a look at past RPs here on the RP board. Obviously, many of them never really took off, but several of them were very successful. I recommend taking a look at Darkness Becomes, which is linked below.

The RP
This RP will be done in the style of an old Chaos Project classic, Darkness Becomes. At the risk of being just slightly cliche, it will be in a typical fantasy setting, with knights, warriors, mages, castles, and so forth, though I'm hoping the plot will catch enough attention that such familiar archtypes will only provide a springboard to making this RP more accessible and fun for everyone. One of the things that made DB so great was that so many people were involved - it made it seem like a real fantasy world. (Of course, Hex's fantastic storytelling and narration helped, too!)

Before I begin with making all of the necessary threads for an RP, such as sign-ups and so forth, I would like to know who is interested in playing. Even if you can only post once or twice a week, or even if you don't know the first thing about a forum RP at all, I encourage you to participate! It will be a lot of fun, a great chance to get to know some other members of the forum on a less "professional" level, and not will time-consuming. Would everyone who is interested in trying a new forum RP please let me know by posting below? If not many people are interested in playing right now, that is alright! There is no pressure to play and no need for an RP if people just don't have time to participate; that's perfectly understandable. I just figured I'd gauge the interest levels of the community and see if anyone wants to give it a shot. Thank you all very much. I love this forum. :)

EDIT:Looking back at some of the other RPs on the forum, another fun option would be a humorous Choose Your Own Adventure RP, a la Captain Pimp. (Though I never posted in it, I have to admit that it gave me a few giggles.)

Vell

Ryex

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

WhiteRose

Quote from: Ryex on August 29, 2013, 12:41:04 pm
*also raises hand*

Quote from: Vell on August 29, 2013, 11:10:18 am
*hand in the air*

Great! :D I think Zexion also mentioned that he is interested in joining us, too! I'll get the official information and sign-up threads posted today. In the meantime, is there anything in particular that people would like to see in this RP?

Zexion

I need to die at some point and then be resurrected as some kind of god, but then it turns out that it's not really me and the real me is still dead, but that other me is my evil twin that wants to take over the world O.O
Either that, or I want to have an important part in the story as a pet chicken.  :naughty: Good luck with that hahaha

WhiteRose

Quote from: Zexion on August 29, 2013, 02:24:29 pm
I need to die at some point and then be resurrected as some kind of god, but then it turns out that it's not really me and the real me is still dead, but that other me is my evil twin that wants to take over the world O.O
Either that, or I want to have an important part in the story as a pet chicken.  :naughty: Good luck with that hahaha

Hahaha. No promises on either of those. :P

KK20

The only RPs I have ever done were Pokemon, and that was many years ago. I could give it another shot again.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

WhiteRose

Quote from: KK20 on August 29, 2013, 08:02:44 pm
The only RPs I have ever done were Pokemon, and that was many years ago. I could give it another shot again.

It would be great to have you join us. I think you'll have a good time. :) I was actually just about to post the intro/sign-up thread, so that should give you a pretty good idea of what it will be like.

orochii

Sounds like fun. And I like peaches.

WhiteRose

Quote from: orochii on August 29, 2013, 08:21:33 pm
Sounds like fun. And I like peaches.

Great! Feel free to join us. We'd love to have you play. :)

And I like peaches too. :P

EDIT:

More than two solid hours of typing later, it's here!

http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,13418.0.html