[XP] Heretic's Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

Started by Heretic86, November 26, 2013, 09:22:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Loveless

Is there any reason you can think of that would explain your collection staying on a black screen whenever I start it up? I've definitely used an older version in the past on a different computer so I assume it's something on my end. I tried downloading the previous version to try that but it always fails to extract near the end and the unfinished extract, of course, gives me the same problem. It's been a while since I've messed around with XP but none of the other projects I've checked out so far have given me this problem.

KK20

How long did you wait for it to load? I tried it now and it took a good 15-20 seconds before the CRAPCOM logo started. You can check to see it's working by putting print statements in the code.

begin
  # Prepare for transition
  Graphics.freeze
  # Make scene object (title screen)
print "Make scene"
  $scene = Scene_Title.new
  # Call main method as long as $scene is effective
print "Main update for scene"
  while $scene != nil
    $scene.main
  end
  # Fade out
  Graphics.transition(20)
rescue Errno::ENOENT
  # Supplement Errno::ENOENT exception
  # If unable to open file, display message and end
  filename = $!.message.sub("No such file or directory - ", "")
  print("Unable to find file #{filename}.")
end

I remember when a background sound loaded, it froze my game sometimes. Might have been because of my lower spec laptop.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Loveless

Quote from: KK20 on May 10, 2016, 09:00:15 pm
How long did you wait for it to load? I tried it now and it took a good 15-20 seconds before the CRAPCOM logo started. You can check to see it's working by putting print statements in the code.

I've left it alone for at least an hour for it to load. That being said, the RGSS Player window goes unresponsive less than 30 seconds in regardless of what I do. I don't imagine it's a case of low specs but I'm running an i7-4790K with a GTX 980, 16 gigs of ram, and 64bit W10 if anything there seems off.

KK20

I'd still suggest trying to remove the audio. Google search seems to point to that being the biggest offender.

Other Projects

Heretic86

Quote from: Loveless on May 10, 2016, 09:12:36 pm
Quote from: KK20 on May 10, 2016, 09:00:15 pm

I've left it alone for at least an hour for it to load. That being said, the RGSS Player window goes unresponsive less than 30 seconds in regardless of what I do. I don't imagine it's a case of low specs but I'm running an i7-4790K with a GTX 980, 16 gigs of ram, and 64bit W10 if anything there seems off.

It shouldnt take an hour to load.  Something else is going on...

My old box that I kept this project of mine on was a Core 2 Duo E8400 with 3 gigs of ram and a 1 gig video card, with Windows XP and dying hard drives and even then it did not take more than 2 or 3 seconds to start up.  So lets figure this out.

Are you running as Administrator?

Try running game.exe only, also as admin and with Compatibility Mode enabled for XP

It might be a sign of other failing hardware.  Could be other goofy stuff like Norton Antivirus.  You can replace the game.exe files in the folder with other game.exe files.  The ones I chose to go with were from the 1.02 version but I know it runs on 1.04 with some font issues, hence the switch.

The Font scripts also could cause some issues.  I have a few in the collection, but only used one at a time.  Auto Font Install is present but disabled in favor of ForeverZer0's Memory Font Loader.  It makes a few Windows calls that I know worked on XP but dont have the same confidence in later versions of Windows.  Im currently running Windows 7 x64 because 8 has been turned into a cell-phonified piece of crap and Windows 10 is spyware in a box.

If the above suggestions dont work, try disabling the Memory Font Loader by putting "__END__" at the top of the script.  No quotes and no spaces after the __ characters, so it needs to go on its own line.  Im unable to test this so it would be helpful if you could report if this resolved your issues or not.  If it doesnt, we will still need to dig a bit deeper...
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

Loveless

Quote from: Heretic86 on May 11, 2016, 04:10:58 am
Are you running as Administrator?

Always.

Try running game.exe only, also as admin and with Compatibility Mode enabled for XP

No dice.

Could be other goofy stuff like Norton Antivirus. 

Disabling my antivirus (Avast) did nothing and I've used your collection in the past on computers with Norton and had no problems. Those were all XP, Vista, or Windows 7 though.

You can replace the game.exe files in the folder with other game.exe files.

Same problem.

The Font scripts also could cause some issues...
If the above suggestions dont work, try disabling the Memory Font Loader by putting "__END__" at the top of the script.  No quotes and no spaces after the __ characters, so it needs to go on its own line.  Im unable to test this so it would be helpful if you could report if this resolved your issues or not.  If it doesnt, we will still need to dig a bit deeper...

This here worked perfectly. The collection loads almost immediately now and the print statements KK20 had me add finally pop up. Problem solved. I'll definitely be checking it out later to see what's new and I'll be around since I'm working on stuff again and I've got tons of free time. Thanks for your help.

Heretic86

Thanks for saying so.

I may need F0's, or even Blizzards help in getting that to work since it makes Windows calls that Im unfamiliar with and dont have access to Windows 10...

Until there is a Windows 10 fix, for anyone on Windows 10, it sounds like the Memory Font Loader script in the Collection doesnt work.
Current Scripts:

Current Demos:

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

KK20

On the reply where I said it took me a good 15-20 seconds, that was on Windows 10. And I just double clicked the Game.exe as soon as I extracted it. So there's something more to it.

If the problem is not obvious, I suggest the "print statements" approach again, locate where the script is hanging. It's gotta be one of the WinAPI calls.

Other Projects

schmoggi

Hey there,

i was playing around the last day(s) in the maker and thought about some nice Idea which could be very useful. Since Heretic asked that day about new Ideas i thought, why not just post it here and see if there is some interestit to script it.

Event Size

So, as we know, Events are always 32 x 32 pixels and so they only take up one single tile on the map with collision etc. However, this also includes events with bigger graphics assigned to them. Logically, the big Dragon from the RTP for example should not be able to pass a 1 Tile space, but sadly it can. How about changing that?
The Possibility to give Events a proper Event Size (maybe through Comments) would be great. With that, Events with bigger Graphics could not pass anymore, for them, impassable areas or not be crossed by Player/Events where it should not be possible (think of the carriage). Furthermore,  the new size could be taken into account for triggering other Actions like Player touch/Event touch.

greetz

Heretic86

Its a good idea but a nightmare level of work to achieve that.  It would require rewriting damn near every movement and modular passable script and anything else that checks @real_x = @x * 128
Current Scripts:

Current Demos:

Blizzard

Actually it's not that complex. But yes, it's a compaibility nightmare.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Heretic86

Updated
Saturday, August 20th, 2016

Added
- Heretic's Dynamic Lighting Version 1.0 - Release
Spoiler: ShowHide

Smooth Day / Night Transitions

Pendulum Lights

Features:
* - Very Fast Light and Shadow System
* - Fully Dynamic Lights (sorry, no realtime shadows)
* - Detect if a Character is being Illuminated with "in_light?(id)"
* - Built In Day and Night System
* - Pre Formatted Time in a Game Variable to display with \v[n] - 3:52 PM
* - Separate Indoor and Outdoor Settings (with a Game Switch)
* - Easy to configure Event Lights with Comments
* - Lights can be customized to Flicker either Size or Opacity
* - Smooth Transitions between Day and Night
* - Events and Lights can have different Opacity during Day and Night
* - Built In Game Clock or Sun / Moon Graphic (or both)
* - Highly Customizable, Length of Day, Color of Day, Night and Indoors, etc.
* - Lights can be Rotated
* - Shadows can prevent Lights for rooms and tops of buildings for logic
* - Spotlights point at characters and follow their movements
* - Pendulum Lights swing at the end of Pendulums
* - Standalone Script, should work fine with the SDK and Non SDK
* - Tested with XP Ace on Chaos-Project.com and it seems to work
* - Gluten, Peanut, and Lactose Free

- Heretic's Unlimited Event Page Conditions
Use Scripts for Page Conditions

- KK20's Custom Prices
Set Prices for Every Item when Shops are called
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,13681.0.html

- Added Sithjesters Sprites (800+ New Characters)
Current Scripts:

Current Demos:

LiTTleDRAgo

September 06, 2016, 10:44:52 am #92 Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 11:00:04 am by LiTTleDRAgo
I downloaded your latest demo (oh wow 143mb!) O.o
but when I tried to playtest, it was extremely laggy

you should've included antilag script in your demo

Edit : used ABSEAL but still didn't reduce the lag

KK20

I do agree the download size is pretty absurd. Should separate the download so that, when there's an update, users don't have to download all the graphics or w/e again.

What part was laggy? The light system?

Other Projects

LiTTleDRAgo

Quote from: KK20 on September 06, 2016, 01:35:32 pm
What part was laggy? The light system?

only tried first few maps and lost interest because of lagg
the game seems paused for a few seconds for every step

KK20

How's your computer specs? I'm not really seeing any frame drops on the first few maps, it's still above 30.

Other Projects

Heretic86

Framerates gave me some difficulty because my specs are retardedly high and I pretty much dont experience any lag anywhere.

- My Specs: Intel i7-6700k OC'd to 4.6Ghz with 16 gigs of DDR4 RAM, also OC'd to 3000.

There are Framerate Optimization Scripts already in place.  Unfortunately, due to my systems high specs, I have not really been able to test adequately for framerate optimizations.  It is possible that some of the lag is caused by the sheer volume of scripts.  I know my video card is not great.  GeForce 750TX, which is not really a high end card, but compared to onboard video, may also be a possible source of the aforementioned lag.

File size is exceptionally large for a standard Demo due to the art assets that are included.  The upside of that is the Tilemaps are fully configured, which is where the size really comes from.  Scripts take up diddly squat for size.

There are Legacy versions, so now I am curious if the lag you experienced also occurs in the older version also?  I know the Lighting Script, with its heavy use of stretch_blt is most likely a culprit as far as video lag, but if the Legacy version runs well and this one doesnt, we will at least know it is the Dynamic Lighting script.

Thanks for reporting the issue with performance!  If you experience it and report it, others that experience it also may not report it at all.

---

Edit:

Also worth mentioning, my primary drive is a SSD.  For stuff that needs to be loaded, it may be a slow hard drive, but I would also like to keep the minimum system specs as low as I can...
Current Scripts:

Current Demos:

LiTTleDRAgo

September 07, 2016, 12:23:37 am #97 Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 12:30:46 am by LiTTleDRAgo
my computer spec

http://imgur.com/kxntCI6

I'll try legacy version later

Heretic86

Onboard Video.  I believe that is the issue.  It will most likely cause you a ton of issues in other games as well, especially higher end ones.  Upside is that a half way decent video card, even like an $80 dollar one can remedy most of those issues.  Not to brag but my system only dropped to 37 fps at a few points so it made it difficult for me to check performance on lower end machines as I built it all.  I may have to put in a disclaimer that recommends the use of non onboard video card...
Current Scripts:

Current Demos:

LiTTleDRAgo

sigh... too bad :(

but I think most people in my country still use their onboard card (oh well, and pirated winxp :v)
even if I bought external video card, it meaningless if people who will play my games didn't.

just my suggestion, if you somehow can corporate multi layer script : http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,13318.0.html
I think you can reduce those event tile block thing that almost fill the map in your demo