RMXP Battle animation movement

Started by [Faint], January 26, 2010, 12:17:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

[Faint]

How would you go about making skill animations lets say for a skill that shoots a wave of energy at a foe, actually move from the caster to the target?
Scripts by me - State Requirement Skills
current project - Project: AURA

Lore

All right, this is simple, but can be complicated at some parts.

First, you create an animation for the caster, so begin the bolt of energy. Then, make the bolt travel to the very top of the window where you make the animation.
Make another animation and call it part 2 or something, begin the bolt at the very bottom of the window, with the same graphic and lead it to the enemy and make the explosion or whatever.

Part 1 should go under the "Caster Animation" and Part 2 should go under "Target Animation" when you make the skill.
Part 1 should logically connect with part 2, so it doesn't look choppy, which is why I said begin with the same graphic.

Do you understand or would you like a picture?
Facebook is like your fridge. You know nothing is in there, but you check every 5 minutes anyways.

Aqua

Lore's post assumes you're using the DBS...
Are you? D:

Lore

Quote from: Aqua on January 26, 2010, 01:33:16 pm
Lore's post assumes you're using the DBS...
Are you? D:

Technically, if he was using a side view battle, or an Action Battle System, he could still use this method.
I believe Blizz-ABS would register the two animations, and if he was using a side view battle system, he could just do this same method, except out the side.
Facebook is like your fridge. You know nothing is in there, but you check every 5 minutes anyways.

[Faint]

January 26, 2010, 02:13:58 pm #4 Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 02:15:10 pm by [Faint]
I am using a sideview, also yes a picture would be nice :^_^':

Lore

I'll have to do it a bit later, I need to study for my math exam which is tomorrow.

[Faint]

Calintz

January 28, 2010, 12:17:37 am #7 Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 12:26:01 am by Calintz
I actually don't believe that there is a sure fire way to make the attack appear as though it's coming from the player, and moves from him to a specified enemy. That just isn't the way the animation system works. It isn't a point A to point B system. They work as frame by frame on a solid point, and with different X and Y values differing by each enemy, so if you were to make a skill travel to the bottom to strike an enemy, it would still travel to the bottom and strike that same one even if you attack a different enemy.

Lore

Hm, I tested it myself, and what Calintz says holds true. It does only travel in that path mentioned.

I'm sorry, it appears my tutorial only works for the Default Battle System.
Maybe you should see if your battle system has any configurable features in the script regarding your problem?

Calintz

January 28, 2010, 03:26:32 am #9 Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 03:29:11 am by Calintz
To make this work, I think someone who can modify scripts is in order.
I would suggest making a maximum of three enemies per line... something like this...

X
                                     X
X     < enemies  heroes>     X
                                     X
X

Or, if you had say six enemies...etc.

X X
                                     X
X X  < enemies  heroes>     X
                                     X
X X

Then, you would have to make sure you follow these guidelines for every troop of enemies you use in your game. Make the middle hero's y-coordinate equal to the middle enemy's y-coordinate in the troop set up tab in your database. Make the other two heroes' coordinates no more than 10-15y above or below the middle hero. When placing enemies, make sure that the top and bottom enemies are spaced about 25-50y above or below your middle hero. You will need to make three separate animations for your wave. Make the animation begin in front of the main character no matter who is using it(unless you wanna make 12separate animations per wave skill) and have each one travel to a different enemy location.

Have someone modify your battle script to check the enemies' coordinates along with the current actors. Depending on which row the enemy is in(high, middle, or low as determined by his coordinates) a script can either turn on one of three switches, or store a fixed number into a variable. Either of which can be used within your database to change the animation to the one you need.

That's how I would do it, but I can't script.

[Faint]

I will have to look into that but thank you. Now do you think it would be possible doing it with the sprite sheet if I am using mink's animated? I know that you can have the character move to the enemy location when attacking so do you think it would be possible to just make an animation for a skill this way?

Calintz

Maybe...I'm using the same script, but into the separate skill stuff yet.
It might be possible, but at first glance of the script it looks like you will still need to use some kind of handler.

Besides, if that is a route you wanna take, that spriteset will be huge, because you will need to keep the player in the frame as it constantly gets larger as the wave heads towards the enemy, or the player will disappear from the screen.

Personally, I would give up on this. It's a simple aesthetic is un-necessary. If you find a sure-fire way to do this let me know, but it looks like some serious edits would need to be made for this to work, and I don't have the scripting knowledge to do it.

[Faint]

Well I plan on looking into it and if I find out anything I will let you know. 8) Where there is a will there is a way ;)

Calintz

I certainly agree...
I'm just saying that I think in order to do this will need to make some kind of simple mod to Minkoff's script, and I can't do that myself, so I can't really hope to succeed. I can't think of a way to do this without using a script to check the enemies' coordinates and load a different animation based on that information.

[Faint]

yeah thats what I plan on looking into, since I know a bit about scripting.

Calintz

[Faint]

Thanks and like I said whatever I figure out Iwill pass along.