Riddle: 3 Princesses

Started by Blizzard, July 25, 2010, 03:49:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

July 25, 2010, 03:49:06 pm Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 11:28:48 am by Blizzard
It's a rather difficult riddle, based on the riddle two guys where one always tells the truth and the other is lying. In that riddle you can ask them one question and then you have to decide which is the liar and which is the truthteller.

Some of you might remember this riddle from the old forum. Please don't spoil it for everybody right away. :P So here goes.

You are the most eligible prince in the kingdom and as such the king has invited you to his castle so that you may choose one of his three daughters to marry. The oldest princess is honest and always tells the truth. The youngest princess is dishonest and always lies. The middle princess is tricky. Sometimes she tells the truth and sometimes she lies. You don't want to get screwed over at this, of course.

Here's the problem: The king wants a smart man to inherit his throne and he doesn't want you to favor any of his daughters because of looks. So he complicated it. You don't know which princess is which. You are allowed to ask ONE of the princesses (any) ONE yes-or-no question ONE time. Then you have to make your pick. What would that question be?

Hint: ShowHide
As you will be forever married to one of the princesses, you want to marry either the oldest (truth-teller) or the youngest (liar).

Since it doesn't matter which princess you ask the question as you don't know who is who, you need a question that will universally reveal the information that you need regardless of which princess you ask.

Here is the solution. Don't open it if you don't want to mess up your fun.
Solution: ShowHide

The question you need to ask is following.
QuoteIs sister A younger than sister B?

It is assumed that you asked sister C. It doesn't matter who you ask, it is only important that you make that sister answer a question about her other sisters. Your goal is to pick the younger one. That means, when you get a "Yes", you pick A, otherwise you pick B.

Explanation: ShowHide

This is a possibility of all combinations. Sister 1, 2 and 3 are the youngest, middle and oldest sisters.

Case 1:
You asked the youngest and she said:
YES
That means:
1 = C
2 = B
3 = A

Case 2:
You asked the youngest and she said:
NO
That means:
1 = C
2 = A
3 = B

Case 3:
You asked the oldest and she said:
YES
That means:
1 = A
2 = B
3 = C

Case 4:
You asked the oldest and she said:
NO
That means:
1 = B
2 = A
3 = C

In case you asked the middle sister, it doesn't matter what she says. You're going to pick one of her sisters and that's a win-win situation.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

July 25, 2010, 03:56:18 pm #1 Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 03:57:41 pm by game_guy
A question isn't needed.
Spoiler: ShowHide
Take a knife, stab one of them. If one keeps saying "ow" she's telling the truth, of the other keeps saying "this doesnt hurt" she;s lieing.
If by chance she alternates between the 2, she's the middle.

Blizzard

July 25, 2010, 04:10:08 pm #2 Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 04:12:16 pm by Blizzard
Lol, cheater. Though, you'd still need to ask her a question for her to reply "this doesn't hurt" and she will answer it only once. And you still wouldn't know whom to marry.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

Well I'm sure if I was stabbed, I wouldn't wait to be asked if it hurt xD But yea I know its not the real answer :P Just being dumb again

element

July 25, 2010, 04:30:17 pm #4 Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 04:38:22 pm by elementisland
If in the riddle of the 2 men u can ask them both 1 and thesame question, it's easy.
But with the second one, I'm not sure  :huh:

EDIT : nvm When thinking more of it in a more logic way of going to the solution, I got it  :D

G_G

Well offtopic sorry, my question for the 2 men would be this
QuoteAre the color of my pants blue?"

For example my pants were blue, then win win for me!

Subsonic_Noise

There is only one answer: rape.

element

I could give a hint but if u don't want to use it, then dont open the spoiler !  :P

Since it doesn't matter that u take the older or the younger you will want a question that will eliminate one princess and then the question tells you or one of the other 2 is the truthteller or one of the other 2 is the lyar

Blizzard

July 25, 2010, 05:11:52 pm #8 Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 05:16:51 pm by Blizzard
There is no yes-or-no question that can eliminate one out of free or find the correct one out of three. It is mathematically impossible. That's why it doesn't matter if you get the oldest or the youngest one. (Generally you have 1 bit of information that you can get which will be either true or false, but since one true-false bit can represent only 2 states, you cannot possibly determine which of three states is the correct one or which is the wrong one.)

You need to think of a different kind of question that will bring you into a win-win situation.

element

Ill PM ya meh answer tell meh if its right.

Blizzard

*puts one arm around his shoulder and points at him with the other hand while looking at the crowd* He's good. *lets go*

poxy

If you can choose between the two the answer is kind of easy.

But then I found a loophole:

Quote from: Blizzard on July 25, 2010, 03:49:06 pm
You are the most eligible prince in the kingdom and as such the king has invited you to his castle so that you may choose one of his three daughters to marry. The oldest princess is honest and always tells the truth. The youngest princess is dishonest and always lies. The middle princess is tricky. Sometimes she tells the truth and sometimes she lies. You don't want to get screwed over at this, of course.

So you ask a random question and choose the one that looks oldest or youngest. But if you can't tell marry the hottest one, since that's the only thing you can determine with certainty. The middle one is an example of most women anyway. (Same would go for men though.)
My Project: ShowHide

Blizzard

And then you realize that the middle sister looks the oldest. This isn't certainty, this is gambling. You just ASSUME that she is the youngest or oldest because of her looks. You have no way of knowing and that is not the solution. You MUST use the question to determine which you will marry.

ForeverZer0

Would it have something to do with asking each sister about the ages of the other sisters. I imagine that would be the only way, just need to figure out exactly how to phrase each question.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

King Munkey

Can I just ask out Blizz's sister?

G_G Is my hero!
Munkey != monkey
Munkey > monkey

Blizzard

Sure, but she'll say no because she already has a boyfriend.

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on August 11, 2010, 06:32:49 pm
Would it have something to do with asking each sister about the ages of the other sisters. I imagine that would be the only way, just need to figure out exactly how to phrase each question.

Something like that, yes. But remember that you can ask only one princess one question one time.

element

Since a yes/no question only can eliminate 1 out of 2 (math :P) U will have to eliminate the other one on another way  :P

Blizzard

Wrong.

Quote from: Blizzard on July 25, 2010, 03:49:06 pm
As you will be forever married to one of the princesses, you want to marry either the oldest (truth-teller) or the youngest (liar).

That means you need to eliminate only one.

element

yeah true...
Don't know another way of giving a hint without spoiling teh answer  :P

G_G

I want an answer D:

I've tried figuring this out for the past hour, I'm no good at riddles. >_>