Your Life Here

Started by Blizzard, May 24, 2013, 03:45:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteRose

It's great to hear that everything turned out alright, G_G. :) I'm probably not going to be a good source for relationship advice, having never been in a really serious relationship myself, but I'm at least a girl, so if you ever need anything, I can give you a female perspective, if that counts for anything. Blizzard always does seem to have good advice for relationships, too. Actually, he generally has good advice for everything. I guess he's just sage like that. :P

Blizzard

winkio is right. You have to assume responsibility sometimes even if it may not be your fault.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

Well, I just have to say this. It's nice to be around people like you guys. lol. I agree with both Blizz and winkio. It's difficult, considering the past relationships I have weren't ever this serious. They may have lasted awhile, but never went anywhere. I really do appreciate what you guys say and suggest.

QuoteEven if things are ok now, you have to be ready to deal with this stuff again in the future, because it is very likely to happen again. If you want to keep up the relationship, that is.

Yup, in fact, it's not even the first time I've seen something like this from her but so far it's the worst. I'll just have to be more prepared for it next time. Now I have a little more of an idea on how to handle it.

QuoteI know that you said that you didn't want to be the only one putting effort into the relationship, but you have to be the one to put in more effort than the other, and you can't expect equal treatment.  Part of the problem is that you have self confidence, you believe in yourself, so you can believe in your partner and expect things to work out equally.  On the other hand, it sounds like she only has confidence in YOU, not in herself, so she needs to depend on you.  This mismatch is why people are telling you to break up.  However, if you acknowledge the mismatch, accept the consequences, and play the necessary role, then it can definitely work out.  And who knows, over time, one or both of your personalities may transform into a better match for the other.

I've never looked at it that way, thanks winkio. Now that you mention this, it's hit me that most of the times we've argued, it was me who took responsibility for it. This definitely gives me some insight.

QuoteSmall advice on the side: There is no point in trying to "insert yourself in somebody else's conversation", you can do that much more effectively by giving value by either adding thoughtful opinions (in a serious conversation) or start to amuse yourself with ridiculous statements (in a fun conversation). Instead of joining on their fun, you create your own and contribute it to increase it.
So you not being able to join in on the fun was as much your fault as it was theirs.

Thanks Blizz, I'll keep this in mind. Still, getting left behind was still absolute bullshit. >:/ lol. We'll just wrap this one up and toss it. Thanks for the help guys and sorry to have sucked up a good part of this thread with long walls of text.

Blizzard

Don't worry about it. This is kinda what this thread is for. xD

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Memor-X

I have a weird set up at home for TV, ever since i moved back in with my parents after i broken down my set top box is kinda screwy, if i have it on while i am on C.C (PC) or Cynthia (PS3) while i have the set top box on the reception drops sometimes causing it to loose the signal, weird since when i was downloading the Beta Client for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on Cynthia because it was so huge i was watching TV at the same time, it was suggested that the problem has something to do with this new power board.

because i record Good Game on Tuesdays at least until Under the Dome finishes and my set stop box wont record if there isn't enough of a signal i have to abstain from going on C.C, it's normally a good time to play Forte (PSP), currently playing Phantom Brave cause i need a PSP Update to transfer DLC for Disgaea 2 from Cynthia

this tuesday (last night) however was crap, during the add break there was the following adds

• eHarmony

• add for The Bachelor Australia

• Car add where the guy goes to propose but just as he does the girl breaks up and he jokes how he was lucky he kept the receipt for the ring

• preview for some feel good tv drama

it was almost like the TV was being an ass cause this is how i took it

• Here's a success story about a couple who came together via internet dating, but you was denied access to harmony and you've had no luck on any dating site

• Here's a show where 20 girls all aim for 1 guy who is trying to find love, you can't even get 1 girl

• here's a guy who's going to propose, even though he gets rejected you wont ever be able to propose to someone

• here's a feel good romance story, you wont even get close to this either

since i didn't have my computer on and Forte was out of power so i was waiting for her to charge i couldn't block the thoughts like like i normally do, of cause each add was a punch to the face, the blow to the chest was what came on after the adds, at the time it was this news show called The Project, they had a story on Suicide Prevention and to call Beyond Blue if you need assistance. so out of all of that it was almost like the TV was saying "after all of that don't kill yourself, here's a story on suicide prevention to drill it into your head". the thought of suicide never comes to me, it's a cowards way, even subaku is a cowards way cause the person takes their own life out of their shame rather than to work hard to redeem their lost honor but the TV was almost like pointing out that i'm going to be alone since im 24 this year and my parents in almost 80

this came ontop of my mum once again complaining that i've been gaining weight, my health has never been affected by it (i was always bad at sports since i was a kid due to inflections i got at birth) so my gut has always been an appearance thing, i stupidly keep thinking that society isn't hypercritical and there are people who don't judge on appearances but after having closed down another dating site because every girl i talk to ignores me or begins to ignore me when i ask their opinion on anime however i began to think, maybe it's not because i'm an otaku that people are ignoring me, maybe it's because of my appearance, so starting last week i started to skip lunch and do another block around work totally up my daily walk to 34 minutes walking around the block and 25 sit ups morning and night. but after last night i am no longer motivated to keep up the lunch skipping since even if i did trim my gut what good will that do, it wont improve my health since i'm healthy as it is (even a work place medical exam said my only problem was a lack of good cholesterol and my bad cholesterol was quite low) and almost the opposite of my brother where i work hard every day at a 8-5 job while doing my own work on the side while he bludges off dole payments, gets money off our mum for smokes, goes out partying every night and has a new girlfriend every month

i not really looking for advice or anything, i've always been told by Div to vent and not let these things stay locked away in my head, with no place to vent and having nothing to do while i run a 30 minute query on my database i started to read posts in the chat forum, probably just spamming here anyway

PhoenixFire

Quote from: Memor-X on September 10, 2013, 10:44:50 pm
i not really looking for advice or anything, i've always been told by Div to vent and not let these things stay locked away in my head, with no place to vent and having nothing to do while i run a 30 minute query on my database i started to read posts in the chat forum, probably just spamming here anyway

Well, I'll re-iterate what Blizz said...

Quote from: Blizzard on September 04, 2013, 07:19:32 am
Don't worry about it. This is kinda what this thread is for. xD

yeah, that. If you're not looking for advice, and just want to let us know who you are in real life, let us get to know you, etc. I mean, The good comes with the bad. Not every post someone puts in here is going to be some warm, fuzzy, feel-good read...

for those who don't know, today was my birthday. I turned a quarter of a century old (some days I feel like it's double that =p ). As far as birthdays go, it was okay. Woke up, coffee, the usual morning stuff. In the middle of making her breakfast, my daughter comes out into the kitchen, and tries to jump up on me, telling me 'happy birthday daddy! here's your birthday present, it's a hug from your Abby!!' which was adorable as hell... Uneventful day mostly though; had a second interview to work in sales at Cadillac, where I was told they were about a week away from making a decision, and that he was looking for someone like me for the position, and, that I am a very strong candidate. Overall that's pretty positive. Made my own birthday dinner instead of ordering takeout (why pay $12 for spaghetti, when I can make a box we already have, and not have to wait....?  )

On the other hand, I have always hated my birthday. It's a reminder to me that yet another year has passed, that I have accomplished nothing that I want to get done. I still have yet to own my own business, have negative money, and most things I set to accomplish years ago have yet to turn out positive...
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Zexion

@DigitalSoul
Life can be stressful, and a little scary at times. It's important to remember the things that are truly important. It doesn't matter if you never reach your goals, as long as you live a happy, healthy life trying to attain them. Like wise, it doesn't matter if you do reach your goals, if it means making your life miserable. Sit back and enjoy life for what it is. Live in the moment :D

My life is becoming annoying. There is this girl in my life, whom I love as a friend, that recently moved to the same university as me. We've been best friends since we were in 3rd grade, so I've known her forever. She came here in hopes of having a relationship with me, but that quickly faded when I realized that I am not attracted to her. It's becoming impossible for me to even want to talk to her as a friend. She is extremely clingy, and even though we both agree that we are not in a relationship, she keeps acting as if we are. Always touching me everywhere, trying to feed me food at lunch, throws herself on me if we are in her room, etc. She also will not let me leave her sight once I'm with her. If I have lunch or dinner with her, she expects me to go to her dorm afterwards, or she will go to mine. If I tell her no, she acts sad and does that whole guilt trip thing. I feel so annoyed with the way she's acting, but I don't know what to do. I don't want to get mad at her because she's my friend, so I've been ignoring her whenever possible. I don't want to keep doing this, but I don't know how to make her stop :(

p.s. Dear Abby :P

winkio

I had a "good" 3 hour of sleep night last night (due to rage-fuelled Starcraft laddering, but that's not worth going into further detail about), and I can still handle sleep deprivation really well.  I was active and alert all day, played soccer for two hours, and generally had the same stamina I did last year.  It's good to know that undergrad hasn't burnt me out!

Blizzard

@Memor-X: I know you said you're not looking for advice and only want to vent (and that's totally ok), but if you decide that you want to turn things around, just PM/IM me. I can point you in just the right direction.

Also, don't pay much attention to ads. They were designed to make you feel inferior, like something is missing in your life, and then they promise you to fill that void with their product. Being exposed to that for years and even decades has very negative consequences on the subconscious.

@Zexion: Ignoring isn't going to solve anything, it will just make things worse. Just call her on guilt tripping you the next time she does it. She will deny it. Then you say that this is how it makes you feel when she says stuff like that. You like her as a friend and you don't want to lose her as such because of her acting weird.

@winkio: Lol, I got maybe 4-4.5 hours last night, but not for the same reasons.

KK20

So today is my post-operation from LASIK. But let's jump back to yesterday.

My check-in time was at 2PM up in Ontario, CA (45 minutes-ish away). Got there half an hour early and mostly sat around writing Advance Wars Engine ideas in my notebook (yep, that's what I do when I'm not on the computer: I'm programming on paper). After an hour, I finally go in, have my eyes checked one last time, and placed in a dimly lit room. I was given half a Xanax pill to help relax, which worked out pretty well since I fell asleep somehow. Took half an hour before I was given numbing drops and sent to the operating room. The room has a glass wall for observers as well as a television screen of the patient's eye (needless to say, my mom decided to come watch). Had more numbing drops inserted and was placed on the bed. They inserted some disk to keep my eye open. I could see him using a thin tool that seemed to be poking my eye, but I felt nothing. I don't know what the next device he used was for (probably to cut the top layer) but it felt like a suction cup (it's essentially the same effect as closing your eyes and pressing your finger on your eye pretty hard--so it kinda hurt). He then used a metal spatula to flip the flap over (everything became blurry) and proceeded with the actual laser (some whirling noise and weird smell but felt nothing). Flipped the flap back, made sure it was in place, and proceeded to the next eye. Only took about 8 minutes to complete the surgery. My vision was still a little blurred after.

I was told there is some pain after the surgery. For the first 5 minutes I didn't feel anything. But slowly it started to kick in. It felt like my eyes were dry, then having a grain of sand stuck, and finally having my eyes drenched in soap or chlorine. I was laid back in the car, keeping my eyes shut, tearing up like a baby, all while being stuck in traffic. Didn't get home until around 5. I just headed straight to my room, took a full Xanax pill, and tried to sleep it out (which is what you are supposed to do). Woke up a couple times during the night, but I didn't get up until 6 this morning (I don't think I've done 13 hours of sleep in a long time). Vision is definitely much clearer. Still getting some glare from the lights and having to remind myself to blink more often when I'm using the computer. Now it's just a matter of using my 4 eye drops routinely and not doing any activities that might strain or injure my eyes for the next few months.

TL;DR
WOOO I CAN SEE WITHOUT MY GLASSES!!

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

G_G

Awesome! I want to get lasik eye surgery, but I don't have the money for it. Plus, I'm too much of a pussy to go through with it. I can see fine without my glasses, I just have troubles seeing far away. Glasses are too much of a hassle to keep track of, I've went through so many pairs. Glad to know things went okay. :3

My life took another slight turn for the worse. Got a horrible tooth ache. I still have one bad tooth causing lots of pain. Going in on Tuesday for a filling + root canal. The dental work doesn't scare me, I've had so much of it done, but it's a nice 500 bucks out of my pocket.

Vlash

Quote from: gameus on September 22, 2013, 01:00:30 am
Awesome! I want to get lasik eye surgery, but I don't have the money for it. Plus, I'm too much of a pussy to go through with it. I can see fine without my glasses, I just have troubles seeing far away. Glasses are too much of a hassle to keep track of, I've went through so many pairs. Glad to know things went okay. :3

My life took another slight turn for the worse. Got a horrible tooth ache. I still have one bad tooth causing lots of pain. Going in on Tuesday for a filling + root canal. The dental work doesn't scare me, I've had so much of it done, but it's a nice 500 bucks out of my pocket.

Oh, toothache's are the worst. When I had an infection, the pain was too much for me that I literally felt like just yanking the tooth out lol. But I just had to deal with it until morning came, then headed to the dentist.

Hope all goes well with it though.

KK20

Got invited to a luncheon with Computer Science and Engineering employers for having a high academic standing. Free food and networking? I'll take it.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Blizzard

I also got some sort of "invite". Here's the mail. Blew my mind.

Spoiler: ShowHide
QuoteHi Boris,

Im in the Recruitment team here at Google. I've just been reading your profile and noticed your recent experience as a Developer at Cateia games and your work in C++ Geometry types which looks interesting and potentially relevant for what we look for.

We're currently looking for talented individuals and your profile is a good fit for roles in our Software Engineering Team. From AdWords to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.

We have live positions across EMEA and North America, including Zurich.

More details can be found at http://www.google.co.uk/about/jobs/teams/swe/

Are you open to hearing about new opportunities in more depth?

Many thanks, look forward to hearing from you.

Though, I am not going to take it. The decision is simple. Sure, I could work for them, that's one option. But the other one would be that I continue to invest time and effort into Daygames and get my own company going one day. And that's my dream so I will continue that path.

Zexion

@kk20
That's what I'm talkin' bout! Nice job, man. Do tell more once you actually go, I've always wondered what happens at luncheons. (I keep saying lunch-e-on because of pokemon...)

@blizzard
Omgish blizz, it's honestly my dream to work for google lol. Like how many people have you met that can say "oh I work for google." Haha, that's nice. I would definately take it, but my dreams are obviously not the same as yours, and I hope that it all works out for you some day.

Blizzard

Haha, thanks. Yeah, I have chosen a different path in life. And if I am good enough for them now, imagine how good I will be in 2-3 years if things don't work out for me as I hoped? I'd be even more experienced.

G_G

For those who have read my shout, it's been a few bumpy days since last wednesday, October 23rd. One of my best and closest friends passed away. His funeral was today and it was absolutely horrid.

My friend David, five weeks old, got really sick and had a kidney failure. Ever since, he's been hooked up to a dialysis machine every night before bed. I remember staying the night at his house sometimes and he'd wake up, crying because of agonizing pain. But he'd never give up. He fought through. And despite his torture, he fought his hardest to live a happy normal life. He was never angry or mad or never cussed or mean or anything. He was always cheerful, energetic, very optimistic of everything. He was always there to be a friend and I knew I could count on him making me smile if I had a crappy day.

Toughed it out for 15 years. When he finally got a kidney transplant. After all the fight, the wait, the pain, he was free. And for four years, he was living healthy and happy. He could finally be "normal" as he put it. He savored every moment in his life and took every opportunity to enjoy everything it had to offer. Two weeks ago, he told me he didn't want to take medication anymore. He didn't want to have to get shots or get prodded with needles just to make sure his kidney was still holding up. It was the last time I had talked to him and it hadn't occurred to me that it could mean anything. He knew his time was up and he embraced it. His kidney started failing a week and a half later and got extremely ill. And the morning of October 23rd, passed away. I couldn't believe it, the one of few people who actually wanted to live and proved to everybody that he wanted, the very rare exception of a person, one who deserved to live, lost his life. My friend of 10 years was gone and I had no idea how to react other than to lash out in anger (I won't go into any of that, I've already taken my grief out on some very close friends).

The funeral was absolutely horrid. It had been the first time I'd seen his parents in two weeks and they still weren't hardly talking to anyone. Open casket, seeing his still body killed me on the inside. Not seeing him constantly fidgeting and bouncing around. Thankfully his parents were glad I was there, they started easing up throughout as I sat next to them through the eulogy. I said my final goodbye as they closed the casket, which I've finally come to terms with. I'm still very edgy and emotional but I'm trying my hardest not to show it right now. So I'm still gonna be uneasy and I probably won't be as active for awhile.

Anyways, thanks for letting me share my personal life with such an awesome community. I don't have very many people to talk to.

PhoenixFire

That is a horrible thing when the people who deserve the most to live, are the ones to lose. I went through something similar (my little sister died in my arms at 15 years old), so if you ever need to talk, I'm here man. The only thing I myself ever take comfort in after the passing of a loved one, is that regardless of religion, there's almost always talk of "a better place" after life for those that deserve it. I believe your friend is one of them, so if this place really does exist, he's there. And with so many religions saying such a place is there, how really can it not be? Your friend sounds like he was a great person, and honestly, this world needs more of that type of person..

Always remember him and his epic awesomeness rather than anything negative, I know that it helps, and over time, the pain and anger eventually numbs away.

-hugs-
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

WhiteRose

*hugs*

Hang in there, G_G.

winkio

I have actually been thinking about death and loss recently for a completely unrelated reason, so I wanted to share my thoughts.

A friend's death is really, really shitty.  Regardless of the idea of an afterlife or divine will, losing someone you are close to just plain sucks.  It may feel like a part of you has been ripped out, leaving a gaping wound. 

But here is the thing.  Over time, that wound will heal and scar, and you will continue to grow as a person.  And when other people ask you about that scar, you can tell them about your friend David.

So even though it sucks right now, there is always a new future to keep looking forward to.  And while your friend is gone, your experiences with him will stay with you.