Your Life Here

Started by Blizzard, May 24, 2013, 03:45:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

I started working at Cateia just when I started my 4th year at university. And I kept working for them (2-3 days a week, about 6 hours each day) for the next two years until I graduated and got my master degree (I started working full time in my last semester since all I had to do was my master thesis). And then they made me a full employee. Even if they hadn't, that experience of 2 years work was great. I can definitely say that you should do it if you have time to spare and the ambition to do something you love.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

KK20

Since it's a school job and not exactly a company job, it won't be similar at all to your experience xP

But I decided I'll do it. My school schedule isn't the most impacted thing. Just a shame that the classes he teaches aren't even on the days my classes are. More driving back and forth. :<_<:

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Blizzard

January 22, 2014, 11:16:10 am #122 Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 11:17:49 am by Blizzard
Quote from: Blizzard on December 30, 2013, 10:47:59 am
Yup, after 70+ matches the assholes are coming out. In 2 out of 3 matches there's a dick around.

This. It's more like 4 out of 5 now, lol! Funny enough people with a lot less wins and lower levels are usually the louder ones. I also find it hilarious when somebody overextends and charges in by himself within the first 3 minutes, then dies and blames me for not helping. I would have just died myself needlessly.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

it gets better once you get out of bronze teir elo as by that time you in the not 40% of the players.  there are arguably more trolls in silver but they arn't just assholes with ego, they screw with you to have fun.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

KK20

First week of classes over. Hooray for asian teachers and their extremely heavy accents. Gotta get used to them calling me Taylor Kuran and Tailuh Cram (and one of them was so nice to call me 'Miss' during roll-call).

Data Mining + Pattern Recognition seems to be my hardest class, probably because the group project and presentation is 50% of your grade. Class is filled with graduate students, mostly Indian. Probably would have been best to take AI before...but we'll see how it goes.

But man am I busy this semester. I'll try to find time to squeeze in some script requests and finish up the Event Commands. Only three more to do (Show/Move Picture and Move Route)!

Other Projects

Blizzard

Does Data Mining + Pattern Recognition involve some statistics?

KK20

From what he has shown us so far, I would say a definite yes.
PDF of the syllabus

It also sucks that it's a 3 hour, once a week night class held inside the most cramped room possible. Also need to dig back through my linear algebra notes again. For once, I have to use matrices in programming.

Other Projects

WhiteRose

Quote from: KK20 on January 25, 2014, 04:14:10 pm
From what he has shown us so far, I would say a definite yes.
PDF of the syllabus

It also sucks that it's a 3 hour, once a week night class held inside the most cramped room possible. Also need to dig back through my linear algebra notes again. For once, I have to use matrices in programming.

Three hours classes are the worst. No matter how engaging the material might be, it's impossible to keep dedicatedly focused for three straight hours. As for the matrices, it reminds me a little bit of some of the things we did in my discrete programming class last semester. We had to use matrix multiplication for the first time in years, so I had to look up how to do it. I didn't want to risk looking stupid by asking the professor about it. Haha.

As for me, I usually really like my professors, but one of them this semester gets on my nerves a little bit. He's really egotistical to the point being aggravating.

Also, along the same lines as the foreigners having name trouble, I stopped by Taco Bell for lunch today, and the cashier asked for my name to put on the order. When I got the receipt, it was spelled, "Ashleee." With three e's. I don't know if it was a typo or if he really thought it was spelled that way. It's really not that uncommon of a name.

PhoenixFire

I feel like I haven't posted anything very useful here in quite some time, so here's an update on the world of me. Lately I've been focusing on a new site that I'm trying to get up and going; before anyone judges me, remember that you have all liked me for a while and this should not change your opinions of me =p  I think a few of you already know, but I have been a practicing witch for almost ten years now, and have almost always had someone I was teaching to in that area. Because of that, I had decided a while ago that I wanted to start up a school for everyone who might be interested on learning about witchcraft, and as of 12:01am, January 1st, 2014, the Phoenix School of Majick was opened. It's hosted on a free server right now, because I'm poor, but I hope to one day soon push it into a normal server, and open it up to the worlds' population a bit more easily.

In regards to other things.. I have been completely re-working the storyline behind my game, and as much as I have already put so much work into it, I may end up having to completely start over from scratch. In a way it may be beneficial to do so, because I will be able to use new tilemaps for everything, new character sprites, and completely re-do sections that are so over-done that it's stupid. For example, a glitch that WhiteRose pointed out quite some time ago, was that after you fight the first little bout of monsters, and after you have talked to and decided to help the soldiers request, he gives you some armor, and a weapon; well, when you go to the next area,  and come back, he's there again, and gives you more gear. I don't think many people would be going backwards through the game, but I patched it anyways. The solution involved simply cloning the map, and removing the soldier event, and then changing the teleport option to go to the new cloned map instead. So now I have three maps for one area... I think I could do it much better at this point, now that I know more about the options available.

Let's see.. Life stuff.... Well, I just got done having almost 2,000 dollars worth of work done to my car; new struts, links, and shocks...  Drives like almost brand new, but damn it's costly to fix my car =p Also on that note, I was chatting with manager at the dealership, and it might be possible to work there, which would be pretty cool! There is one other issue I've been dealing with, that I may end up starting a whole new topic about, but I'm still not 100% comfortable talking about it, and not sure how it will come out here, so I may wait a little bit to post about it all.

That's all I have for now, but just wanted to make sure everyone knows I'm not dead! =p
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Blizzard

January 31, 2014, 11:47:52 am #129 Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:50:53 am by Blizzard
I haven't posted anything recently myself, lol!

So, basically we did another update on KOB at Daygames and now we're running that new contest. WCW also got a major update that allows players to leave messages. Apart from that, we're also going to release a new game this weekend (secret project FTW). On the side of Cateia I'm almost finished with our new networking library and in 2 weeks I'm going to start working on a new game.

I also finished my album Perfect Chaos. I just need to do some final tweaks on all songs and re-export them for mastering since the label said they wanted to do the mastering.

There's also more personal stuff, but it's basically the same-old-same-old me going out with my friends and doing crazy shit like always. I also broke up with my GF about 3 weeks ago and now I obviously have more time for going out. But I'm going to start hitting up the gym three times a week from the next week on so this will probably cut my time for going out a bit, reducing it probably from twice a week to only weekends. I will probably cut down on the alcohol as well since working on your body and poisoning it at the same time is not really such a great idea.

WhiteRose

I have new roommates this semester. I've asked them not to steal my stuff without asking, but they keep doing it anyway. I couldn't find my hair dryer the other day, and they always use my dishes and then leave the dirty dishes in the sink. I can't eat without clean dishes, so I have to wash them myself if I want to eat anything. And they always leave the TV on when they leave. AND one of them insists on talking to her boyfriend on speakerphone all the time. Why on speakerphone? Why!? Sigh. I don't think I'm that hard to live with - these are pretty basic things to ask, aren't they? I need a new apartment. Again with the sigh.

Blizzard

I've had my share of inconsiderate room mates so I know how you feel.

Zexion

Sometimes, rose, you need to slap-a-hoe.

Blizzard

Slap a bitch! Gain a level! xD

WhiteRose

Quote from: Zexion on February 01, 2014, 04:31:01 pm
Sometimes, rose, you need to slap-a-hoe.

Quote from: Blizzard on February 01, 2014, 05:38:34 pm
Slap a bitch! Gain a level! xD

Growing increasingly tempting, especially with your suggestions....

But for now, I will control myself.

Zexion

I'm a really nice guy, but when my roommate kept leaving his nasty socks all over my bed and under my desk and basically all over my side of the room (he throws them at my side for some reason) I gave him an ultimatum: Stop, or I will stop you. You don't need to get violent either, just take their stuff without asking, leave things on that would bother them, blast loud music late at night, etc. They will get the memo eventually, lol!

WhiteRose

Quote from: Zexion on February 01, 2014, 06:53:30 pm
I'm a really nice guy, but when my roommate kept leaving his nasty socks all over my bed and under my desk and basically all over my side of the room (he throws them at my side for some reason) I gave him an ultimatum: Stop, or I will stop you. You don't need to get violent either, just take their stuff without asking, leave things on that would bother them, blast loud music late at night, etc. They will get the memo eventually, lol!

That sounds awful. D: I'm glad that we at least have individual bedrooms; no socks getting in there. Well, except my own socks, of course.

Blizzard

IDK how good your social skills are, but you might wanna try this.

The first time mention it without any emotion, without anger, just casually. Do it this way every time. You can even make fun of it later. We did the same at the office when people wouldn't change the trash bag after it was full. We had a simple rule. If you could open the lid all the way through, you're fine. But if you can't, then you have to change it. I shit you not, some people probably took MONTHS to start doing this. I mentioned it every time I noticed it was already full before I threw my trash in. I would do it mostly in a fun over-the-top-dramatic manner without pointing around. Something like "So... Who forgot to change the trash bag around? Yeah... I know you're here... Listening... Waiting for me to turn around... And then you will do it secretly anyway!" This causes a feeling of shame for the person who did it without the need to point out, because those are the established rules and they broke it. After enough times people start cleaning up. Sure, it still happens sometimes, but it happens maybe 1-2 times a month. It used to be every other day. I think the most important part is simply not to get angry or emotional (easier said than done). But it's ok to verbalize anger, e.g. "Hey, I noticed that you didn't wash the dishes after you were done. Please wash them. It's really annoying when I want to make something to eat and first have to wash what somebody else left behind." The most important part is patience. Some people just need time to get new habits, especially if they never had any similar habits before.

WhiteRose

That's good advice, Blizz. That's more or less how I've been handling things, but maybe I need to just be more patient and persistent with them so that it really gets hammered into their minds. Eventually, things will work out - hopefully that will be before the end of the semester, when I'll get new roommates anyway. Haha. XD

WhiteRose

So, summing up my evening:

At the fabric store. No one else is there. Walk up to counter for the lady to cut my fabric. She asks if I've taken a number. I say that I'm the only one there. She asks me to take a number. *sigh*
Take a number. Fabric lady calls for next number. I give her my number. She gives me the fabric.

Have to attend presentation for work, so have to dress up. Hurry to apartment and change into skirt. Already late. Freezing cold outside. *sigh* Skirts are the worst.

Presentation goes late, ends at 8:30. Still haven't had dinner. Go to cafeteria. Deciding what to eat. Don't really feel like eating tacos. All stores are closed except for Taco Bell. Guess it's tacos for dinner. *sigh*

Tacos are messy, need to wash hands. Really need to use the bathroom anyway. Don't like public bathrooms. No choice. Go to bathroom. Sign on door - "Closed for cleaning; please use men's bathroom." Nope. Nopenopenopenopenope. *sigh*

Walk home. Hands are still messy. Can't put on gloves because of messy hands. Still wearing skirt. Super freezing cold.

Get to apartment. Can hear TV inside. Annoying flyers stuck into door frame. Like, five of them. For the same thing. *sigh*

Check handle. Door is locked. Keys are in backpack, still inside. Forgot to move to little bag that I brought to presentation. Knock on door. No answer. Knock again. Room mates aren't home; just left TV on. At least they remembered to lock the door. *sigh*

Stuck outside, messy hands, need to use bathroom, freezing cold, wearing a stupid skirt.

Starts raining.

*sigh*