Errant Journey

Started by omegapirate2000, October 16, 2008, 10:37:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

omegapirate2000

October 16, 2008, 10:37:23 am Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 04:02:24 am by omegapirate2000
So, here's a demo of my game. It's called Errant Journey.

FUCK YEAH SHITTY TITLE SCREEN

http://www.clans2n.com/ErrantJourney/ErrantJourney.rar

Save file that starts you off at the end of chapter 1:
http://www.clans2n.com/ErrantJourney/Save1.rxdata

The IDEA behind the game is to take your typical medieval fantasy setting, mix in some internet humor, some random humor, and throw as many RPG cliches in there as possible to make a decent game. I hope it works :p

The story is pretty simple really, the main character, Alex, has his village enslaved by this Lord Granz guy, right. He then has to stop him from getting all of the relic edges and getting the power of an ancient mage guy. Along the way he meets sidekicks, who will fight by his side, it's basically like a 2 person party where you can switch out the second character for another one. Now you also share SP when you fight, and every battle starts you with zero. Every turn you regain a bit of SP, and you can speed it along by "focusing" which is basically defending but it boosts your SP as well.

The demo is about an hour long, and is comprised of the first chapter of my game, I will have 5 by the end, all somewhat near an hours length. I hope you like it!

Screenshots
Spoiler: ShowHide

In the ruins

Hell yes I'll take a potion

Shot of the battle system

Ninjas? On MY pirate ship?

Some relic edge action

Shot of the menu

Credits:

Scripting:
Blizzard
Sephiroth Spawn
WcW
Juan
Legend in his own mind
Skorpius
Kain Nobel
Dubealex
Nakate
Necrofear
KGC
Fantasist
Beran
omegapirate2000
Constance
Raziel
Gando
CCOA
Zeriab
Sandgolem

Music:
aflixion
alpachix
cacadebaca
chainsaw_09
Charem
Chronamut
CorNgAsmO
CrazyCookie
Devastus
delmor
Devlfish
Hatsurina
ImperfectDisciple
Intero
kaptainkewl
MaestroRage
Mo-Tech
NemesisTheory
Nightwasp
OBIEakaAO
Reasoner
SBB
Schecterguitarist
seanieboy123
Short-Factor
Surukei
TheComet
TwilightAlchemist
Wayne
WinterWind
Xenogenocide

Graphics:
Naramura
Dubealex
zanyzora
omegapirate2000
Looseleaf
Blizzard

Special Thanks:
RoganSarine for use of his webserver
Zeriab for putting up with my annoying scripting problems
Everyone else who's helped me out with this demo
Enterbrain, for obvious reasons

Chances are I've missed a number of things, please tell me if I've left anyone uncredited for their work!

Blulightning

1% of 1 File. It's a super slow download :O.o:, oh wait 2%, but I'm a fan of Cliche games. What can I say? It's a vice!

OMG 4%

omegapirate2000

Quote from: Blulightning on October 16, 2008, 03:41:35 pm
1% of 1 File. It's a super slow download :O.o:, oh wait 2%, but I'm a fan of Cliche games. What can I say? It's a vice!

OMG 4%

I put it on rapidshare, there should be no reason for it to be slow other than your own connection.

Blulightning

My CP's fine, lol, other downloads are really fast, personally I'm a fan of sendspace. Anyway, so far it seems good, the mapping's okay, but the battle scenes are kind of laggy. Otherwise, kudos!!

omegapirate2000

October 16, 2008, 05:19:40 pm #4 Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 07:27:53 pm by omegapirate2000
Battle is laggy? First I've heard of it!

EDIT: Where is it laggy?

Galatea

omegapirate2000

Ok, just so you know guys, there is a game crashing problem in the script order for this demo, I've fixed it, so I'd wait for the next one to try it out.

Blulightning

Well, the lag is when you enter battles with the bees in the woods, it might have to do with the loads of battle scripts you have...

omegapirate2000

Possibly, I was getting lag with messages boxes in battle earlier, but that was because of the slanted HP/SP bars I was using, I got rid of them and haven't had any lag since, you're the only person to mention it, strange.

What kind of specs do you have on your computer?

Fantasist

Ah, a funny RPG, I'll play this.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

omegapirate2000

Ok, new demo, I've added some stuff that makes it awesome now.

Punn

I will give Errect Journey a try when I can use two hands at the same time ^^

omegapirate2000

New demo is up, check the link in the original post. I got a friend to host it for me on his server, so the speed is quite nice.

Starrodkirby86

Download is still a bit long, but that's probably because of the 79 MB size. I only played a little of this game, and I must say I'm impressed. I'm usually a cynic when it comes to looking at Projects/Games because I know what I'm downloading is pretty lackluster. There's certainly some nice potential here that I really love...

Any cons I would have to say would be that you may need to map a little better. The forest has some errors already, but they're not that horrifying.

Nice job, nice job.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

omegapirate2000

Yeah the forests are a bitch to get right because I don't have enough layers to get the trees to overlap AND have the leaves at the top over them. I need to spend a little time revising my tilesets so I can put 2 trees on one layer.

Blulightning

Somewhere I found an RTP tileset addon of overlapping trees.... I'll look for you.

ozoke

you mean somet like this?

dont even know if that would be useful to you or not, or if you want different trees ill change em for you.

omegapirate2000

Oh I could easily make it myself in photoshop, I just couldn't be assed to spend time over something so minor when I started.

Kagutsuchi

Very good game ^^ I like how you don't have to grind any levels =D Thought the one thing that really killed this game for me was when I was in the ruins, where you are supposed to get the 2nd edge, and I pushed the damned orb thingie into a corner that I couldn't get it out of when I was almost doe :wacko: Make the distance shorter, cause pushing that orb around was very boring in the long run. Make it shorter and more challenging.

omegapirate2000

December 30, 2008, 01:16:57 am #19 Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 03:11:09 pm by omegapirate2000
Aww don't be hatin' on the weighted companion orb.

EDIT: I've fixed it so that pushing it all the way will give you a diadu, rather than it be required to pass through the door.