Weapon Replica.

Started by R.A.V.S.O, January 31, 2014, 02:11:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

R.A.V.S.O

So basically I've got a friend of mine who's got access to a small workshop nearby, so while I kept on working with my project
I kept on designing, and re-designing the protagonist's (Sesilou) 2nd obtainable weapon in-game (non-tradeable as it can be upgraded)

basically in-game since Sesi starts as an engineer his first weapon is a pair of spanners reliable and easy to use, however after events
done in the demo you get class-promoted into [D-Soldier] and you receive a new blade (you can now equip 2-handed blades from this point onward)
to commemorate his promotion.

story-wise, D-Soldier trainees who complete their training receive such blades not only because it might (or might not) be an overall better
weapon than the one currently equipped, but because 1.- it's ceremonial and 2.- it's one of the few weapons you get from the start that can actually
deal damage to certain types of enemies, (Disrupters have their own attribute, and cut other types of damage in half.)

This was the original model for the blade (which I decided to call "D-Cleaver" the name is still subject to change)
it didn't look that appealing at a first glance:
Spoiler: ShowHide

As I kept working on the model, my friend started to look more and more interested on the possibilites, and helped me design alternate versions for the blade,
the thing is I wanted to keep the blade simplistic (hey it's the 2nd weapon out of many more to come) yet somewhat stylish for your typical infantry gear
so I kept on editing and experimenting with different models.

Here are some mutations for comparison:

It was starting to shape up yet something kept on missing.... as I kept on brainstorming my friend gave me the news that as a final project for one of his classes he needed to
present a physical replica of an item (any item) seen from a program, be it a videogame, movie etc... so he decided to go for Sesi's D-Cleaver
since we both intended to make a good-looking replica we decided to take a look and keep on altering the model even more, eventually my friend got the most clever idea of them
all... turns out the blade itself needed something unique.... it's an infantry blade so it looks plain, yet since it's received as an award for joining an elite team of soldier it needed
something special to make it stand out from your typical RPG-Shop swords. so we came with a new model (currently the model we're working with)

In all it's updated glory:

the latest model comes with a shrunken version of the D-Soldier's "R." emblem along with the D-Soldier's ID.
(in this case Sesilou's being R2-SERIES 001, meaning he barely missed reaching rank 1, and got moved to the first slot as candidate for rank 2 operations)

So we both agreed on using that model and I began doing the "skeleton" if we could call it that for the blade itself.
so far so good... I gotta admit it's rather heavy but so awesome to hold in a 2-handed combat stance.

still lacks some details, I'm trying to actually sharpen the edges so far it has that nice sharp look (not that sharp actually) and with the right set of paint it should
look as it truly made of steel, thankfully my friend should cover me on the painting itself as I royally suck at painting XD

I'll keep on updating as it reaches the final stages ;D

Personality Test results

"Life is unfair, so make it unfair in your favor" -Sesilou

WhiteRose

Wow, that looks great! I was expecting a small model, not a full-scale replica. I can't wait to see the finished product with the paint.

PhoenixFire

This looks like it will turn out to be really good looking when it's done... Have you thought about making a fully functioning version at some point too?
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

R.A.V.S.O

Quote from: DigitalSoul on January 31, 2014, 11:38:08 am
This looks like it will turn out to be really good looking when it's done... Have you thought about making a fully functioning version at some point too?

Thanks for the enthusiasm XD
but well it´s just a standard blade XD no sharpness since it´s made of wood (nothing a little metallic paint can fix)

or did you mean forge a steel version for a functional version?
Personality Test results

PhoenixFire

Quote from: R.A.V.S.O on January 31, 2014, 11:46:42 am
Quote from: DigitalSoul on January 31, 2014, 11:38:08 am

Thanks for the enthusiasm XD
but well it´s just a standard blade XD no sharpness since it´s made of wood (nothing a little metallic paint can fix)

or did you mean forge a steel version for a functional version?

Yeah, basically that last part.. Forge a steel blade for it.. I started looking into forging blades myself, but I just don't have the time and space needed to really work on it. At least not to the size and perfection I want to do..
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

R.A.V.S.O

January 31, 2014, 07:23:30 pm #5 Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 07:24:35 pm by R.A.V.S.O
UPDATE:

D-Soldier's logo is now implemented, I also added a coating of metallic paint to simulate the blade's sharpness
here's some pics to detail:

Closeup on the logo:

The D-Cleaver in full view:

As you can see it's nearly done, it's still missing Sesi's D-Soldier ID number (I gotta wait for the paint to dry XD)
I also took the liberty of using the oh-so-handy black tape to simulate the sword's handle..... makes up for a really good grip.

the blade's length (handle included) is around 136 cm. and it takes both hands to properly wield it.
Personality Test results

WhiteRose

Praelium

When I was young I made a sword with my grandfather. I might post some pictures of it here. It is similar to what you are doing. 2 handed, own design, wood, paint, ...

Zexion

R.A.V.S.O

Alright, the results are in.... the D-Cleaver is now COMPLETE! :D

(Currently at my friend's house atm) but here are some pictures to show the details:

First off, here's a closeup on the logo and handle, the handle itself is made from electrical tape, which not only looks cool considering it's
your standard militia leather gripped sword, but actually keeps the blade from slipping or getting nasty splinter accidents.

looking good eh?

and here's a closeup on the D-Soldier ID, (it's actually read as 001, not 881, I guess I got a bit carried away with the 0's)

And finally, here's a full picture of the blade completed, looks good, easy to wield if you're into 2-handed weapons, and eventually once I get
some extra resources I'll plan on making a scabbard perhaps, who knows.

so yeah, a whole month gone from early designs to the final physical thing, wish I could do the D-Soldier outfit next but I'd rather not XD
it's expensive as hell and I have no knowledge of how to make clothing so yeah, sword is as good as it gets XD
Personality Test results

WhiteRose

It looks great! For the record, I looked at the pictures before reading your comments and didn't think that the 0's looked like 8's, so all is okay.