Windows 10

Started by Ryex, August 02, 2015, 03:42:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

August 02, 2015, 03:42:59 pm Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 06:31:50 pm by Ryex
So, I updated my computer to 10, I've been sitting on 8.1 for the last year and so long as I had classic shell installed to change the start menu I was actually finding it quite useable.

But I went for the upgrade ASAP because I was expecting great things.

First off lets talk about the startmenu, Thank the gods it's not a full screen nightmare any more, unless your in tablet mode in which case it's not a nightmare. First thing I noticed was this
Spoiler: ShowHide

That's right, the file explorer and settings buttons are right there, this is the first time I've seen the control panel so quickly available by default. I normally have to open the start-menu settings and enable the control panel link.

Also you'll notice that pinned item appear as tiles, at first I wasn't too happy about this but it DOES make things easier to find so long as you don't have too much pined there.
The start-menu search seems to be quite powerful and fluid compared to previous windows start-menu search abilities but that's just me. Oh, and then there is cortana... I'm conflicted on cortana. On the one had I finaly have voice control of my computer, I can say "Hey Cortana, Start a command Prompt" and she does. on they other hand she has to send me voice over the internet to figure out what I just said.
At least the "Always listening" feature is off by default.

The Settings window is COMPLETELY different this time around

Why yes that IS a modern app, and why yes is IS opening in a window. it works though. funny enough you'll see "for advanced features click here" links around the modern app that will open the appropriate setting pane in the Desktop control panel, which still exists will all functionality of the Settings window and then some, weird. I know they did something similar in 8 but I just avoided it because modern app had to be full screen in 8

you may have noticed the window decorations, they are flat and white. and somehow manage not to look crappy. I'm enjoying the look actuality, it's finally not as noisy as aero. The personalize window you get when you right click the desktop is replaced with a modern app strangely enough. in fact it seems every where they could get away with it things are replaced with windowed modern apps. I guess it does make things more consistent between the tablet and desktop interfaces but it's a bit strange.

Notifications. FINALLY notifications have a place to live in the tray, with a log of what poped up!

Virtual Desktops:
Win+Tab opens a screen similar to Alt+Tab called task view, but will all windows on the current desktop as large thumbnails with a row for all the desktops on the bottom, to switch desktops you either have to click on the desktop you want or hit Tab to move the selection bow down to the desktop row and use the arrow keys and then enter. There is no way that I know of the move a windows form one desktop to another out side of first entering task view ans right clicking on a thumbnail. I've been waiting for Windows to have this feature forever, even used 3d party apps like Dexpot to get it. and I was excited to hear windows 10 FINALLY had them. but they did it wrong. the point of Virtual desktops is so that you can switch quickly between them and move windows around with simple shortcuts. never having to touch the mouse. but NO windows has to be special. even when it's copying a feature Mac and Linux have had for decades they have to be different! Ya Retarded Microshit.

In closing, I guess you could say I'm a little disappointed. the hype was nowhere near the truth I knew it wouldn't be but I was expecting a little bit more change. Microsoft will supposedly be pushing updates and new features like mad over the next year so I'll try and keep yous guys updated on my experience.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

August 02, 2015, 03:59:18 pm #1 Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 04:03:53 pm by Blizzard
Ah, nice, I was looking forward to hearing some first-hand experiences. I probably won't switch, at least for now.

EDIT: You forgot Edge.

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Soulshaker3

Actually my experience with edge was pretty good, faster than chrome, the only problem I saw was a slight delay on the input, and HD videos would crash for me... but better than the old IE
Hellow?

Ryex

my experience with edge consisted of navigating to http://chocolaty.org to get the install script for chocolaty and closing the browser and unpinning it form the start menu and task bar.

that said I did a little bit of side by side with chrome just now and I'm not impressed. I looked up a few benchmarks and ran them myself and got pretty much the same results. Edge is currently faster but lacks support for modern javascript my guess is that what ever black magic they are using to get sun spider to run in half the time while losing in every other test has cost them something.

it doesn't appear to be a memory hog though hovering around 25MB with 5 tabes. it crashed on navigation to Wikipedia.com though so I'd say it a bit buggy.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

KK20

Sticking with 7. #2cool410

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Blizzard

People complained that it's VERY buggy. A browser crashing on every other website shouldn't be like "meh". It's should be "Oh god, Microsoft, not again!"
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

August 03, 2015, 05:42:21 am #6 Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 08:31:00 am by gameus
I am rather enjoying Windows 10 myself. haven't tried edge, won't ever trust a browser from Microsoft again. Enjoying the new start menu, notifications, and task viewer. Cortana can't really understand me, but my mic is kind of crumby.

EDIT: Just realized I only posted part of my post. xD

Overall, I'm enjoying it. Though, not a huge transition from 8.1 to 10. I was in the same boat as Ryex, using Classic Shell and overall making 8.1 feel/look like Windows 7 all while enjoying the boot time. It's actually really cool how I can stream my xbox one to my PC now, though more of a gimmick I won't ever use. Literally, my gaming consoles are hooked up right next to my PC on a separate monitor. Other than that, the only thing I can say was fantastic was the ease it took to upgrade. The one thing that didn't work was my graphics drivers, but everything else worked out of the box. Ethernet, wifi, sound, keyboard/mouse (obviously), all my installed software stayed. I haven't found anything that hasn't worked yet.

Ryex

I Just noticed that some notifications stay in the notification area across reboots... not sure if

as for ease of upgrade... my main desktop would not upgrade, it kept failing before the first reboot and resetting everything back to before the reboot. I had to do a clean install. in retrospect it probably had something to do with the fact that I had originally installed in Legacy BIOS mode but used some pretty hackish things to reformat to GPT and boot from a ESP without reinstalling. so perhaps it thought it was still in Legacy mode but was actually booting in UEFI mode.

Hindsight's a bitch, and she took the kinds in the divorce.

least the failure didn't break anything.

the upgrade on my laptop was smooth as soft butter however with all my stuff untouched however so thats was nice. took a few reboot cycles for the updates to sort them selves out and the nvidia driver to work though.

G_G

August 04, 2015, 09:32:08 am #8 Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:33:48 am by gameus
So you can link your microsoft account, figured, why the hell not. Started playing xbox one (Rare Replay) and every achievement I got it showed up on my computer as well. Kind of a cool gimmick I suppose but also slightly annoyed by the fact that it told me I got an achievement twice. The whole Game Bar thing is kind of cool too, being able to take snapshots and record without other software is pretty convenient. Sharing it with friends through the game hub is neat as well.

R.A.V.S.O

I had Windows 7, so I decided to try out Windows 10 as well,

it was a smooth transition from 7 to 10, some reboots as mentioned earlier and it's was good, it did keep my files which I decided to place on an external drive as I was
about to prepare for a clean install now that I had a valid windows 10 key (HINT: For windows 7 and 8 users, if you plan to do a clean install, make sure you do the manual
upgrade first as Windows 10 asks for a win 10 key which self-generates after the upgrade, it's tedious but it's a safe path.)

so yeah all my files were now safely stored in my external drive, and the windows 10 tool already finished making me a bootable USB, in a matter of minutes I'm halfway done
through the clean install.

minutes later, I now had a clean windows 10, with a considerably shorter boot time. (compared to windows 7's clean install boot time)

here's where my stroke of bad luck begins... after the clean install successfully finished, I started to bring in my files (specifically my drivers) I realized most if not all my drivers
for some reason got corrupted mid-pass from the old windows 7 to the external hard drive, and to top it off, my PC's driver homepage (Acer Aspire series) did not have any
windows 10 drivers atm... (it had windows 8 ones, so I had to rely on those)

but thankfully Windows 10 came with driver compatibility mode so I could at least use the Windows 8 drivers and so far so good.

aside from that, my internet has been somewhat slow and for some reason Windows keeps pushing Bing down my throat in a "NOW KISS!" kind of way
which btw is annoying on the long run, after hearing reports about edge's performance I decided to switch back to reliable Firefox... which you guessed it
has a bad case of Bing as well.... even placing google.com as your main page still redirects to Bing,

other than that I've seen to have stabilized into Windows 10 nicely, I wonder what new updates they'll bring eventually.

Personality Test results

"Life is unfair, so make it unfair in your favor" -Sesilou

Ryex

something i just noticed. windows 10's boot time is impressive. true I'm running in UEFI mode (NOT fastboot) off an ssd but it was the same deal in windows 8. windows 10 boots considerably faster. even my startup programs start in about 1/4 to 1/2 the time compaired to before on login.

PhoenixFire

I've been using it for some time, as many of you might remember (I decided to try it out in the beta) and I am quite happy with it; there's a few performance issues to be sure, but an overall pleasant upgrade experience. Edge, although not better in chrome in many respects, I am happy to use for smaller, quick little things, but I still use chrome for the most part. All of my apps and games work still just fine, and no driver issues (GeForce car actually was updated in the first r ound of updates, so kudos to NVIDIA for thinking ahead and having that update ready for us early adopters haha). But I made the "official" switch to Win10 basically on release day (technically it was that evening) and haven't had any really negative experience with it yet..
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Ryex

I just discovered something amazing.
Window snapping, as in when you drag a window to an edge, corner, or top and it re-sizes has been around since windows 7 right?

Well, in 10 if you drag to an edge it will re-size ans snap to half the screen, but it will also pull up a thumbnail preview of all you other open windows in the other half. you can then click on one of them to fill and snap to the other half if you want, unless there is already a window snapped to the other edge open and visible.

It's such a natural evolution of the feature I honestly can't believe it hasn't been done yet! that Microsoft came up with the idea shocks me. perhaps the company IS innovating!

course this is the only innovative feature I's so far come across, so... perhaps not.