[RESOLVED] A Few Physics Questions

Started by WhiteRose, September 02, 2010, 11:40:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteRose

September 02, 2010, 11:40:56 pm Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 12:14:05 am by WhiteRose
If anyone's around who wants to help me with my Physics homework, here are the questions with which I need help. Note that this is due my midnight (my time, so about three hours for the time of me posting this,) so if it's after that, don't worry about it. If you don't have time to help, that's okay too.

How many kg of water are in 2.23 cubic inches (in3)?

1-5. Kim has a metal casting company which makes commemorative coins. She has 0.12 cubic
meters of silver which she needs to make into 1.03E5 coins of thickness 2 mm. If
she uses all of the silver, what is the diameter in centimeters of each coin?

1-6. A garden plot must have a central planting area of length 13 m and width 8 m. There is
to be a sidewalk around its edge of width w. If the total area, planting area plus sidewalk
area, is 170 m2, what is the sidewalk width w in meters?

These have me completely stumped, so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I solved them all except the last one.

EDIT 2: Nevermind, solved that one too. Marking this as resolved.

poxy

o.o Strange they call it physics. 's about all I can say. :\
My Project: ShowHide

WhiteRose

Quote from: poxysmash on September 03, 2010, 06:01:59 pm
o.o Strange they call it physics. 's about all I can say. :\

Yeah. I think the questions will probably become more Physics-y as we get further into the school year. On a related note, I just received an email from the professor with instructions on how assignments will be written in the future. Take a look:

Spoiler: ShowHide

How The Written Homework Will Be Graded

Your numerical answer will not be graded on the written homework. Instead, we will look at how you set the problem up and then arrived at your answer. To make a uniform grading scheme we will be looking for each of the following items on each part of each problem ( (a), (b), etc.). Each part is worth 5 points and each of these items is worth 1 point. There are 6 items. If you get all 6 you will still receive 5 points for the problem. This means that you can miss one of them and still receive 5 points. If this scheme doesn't make sense for the problem at hand we will fake it and err on the side of generosity. Please remember that each one of these written homework problem parts is worth about 1/1000 of your grade; but I will expect to see this same style of writing a problem out on your exam problems, where each written-out problem is worth about 20 times as much.

Drawing: we expect to see an informative drawing that shows the basic items of the problem, if a drawing is appropriate.

English: we expect to see one or more English sentences that tell how you are approaching the problem.

Symbolic Equation(s): we expect to see the equation, or equations, to be solved clearly written in symbolic form.

Symbolic Solution: we expect to see the a symbolic solution of the problem without any of the given numbers appearing in the solution.

List of Numbers: we expect to see a list giving the numerical value of each of the symbols used in the problem, with the proper units.

Units: we expect to find that all units have been handled correctly, including any unit conversions. The numerical answer must be given with the proper units.

Not completely ridiculous, but it's annoying to have to write out in English what you're doing in the equation when it should be obvious from your manipulation of the numbers. Eh, oh well.

poxy

So it seems you can get 5/5 even if you miss the final answer, if you do the tedious stuff. Not so bad. :p
But I've never heard of writing out an approach in English, unless they are preparing you for writing lab reports where you need to include an abstract and method of approach...
My Project: ShowHide

winkio

wait, this is a college level physics course that is starting out with units and algebra?  *facepalm*

WhiteRose

Quote from: winkio on September 04, 2010, 10:48:51 pm
wait, this is a college level physics course that is starting out with units and algebra?  *facepalm*

Apparently. I think that the professor is just getting us warmed up for the actual work, though; this was an assignment we were given on the day in which we only covered the syllabus in class; we hadn't had any actual instruction yet.

Blizzard

When I got into college, we also had a first week of warming up.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Karltheking4

Quote from: WhiteRose on September 03, 2010, 06:06:17 pm
Not completely ridiculous, but it's annoying to have to write out in English what you're doing in the equation when it should be obvious from your manipulation of the numbers. Eh, oh well.

WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING TO THE NUMBERS!!!???!!! :naughty:

Subsonic_Noise

First rape whistles and then simple maths disguised as physics. You sure have a weird college, Whiterose.

WhiteRose

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on September 05, 2010, 07:39:37 am
First rape whistles and then simple maths disguised as physics. You sure have a weird college, Whiterose.

Plus we start every class with a hymn and a prayer, and there are no classes Tuesday mornings because of the Devotional being held then. A weird college indeed. XD