Is this the world you though it was?

Started by Ryex, September 05, 2011, 03:02:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

Quote from: Heretic86 on April 22, 2014, 03:22:26 am
The rich can get rich by either honest or dishonest.  Truth is, both forms exist.  Problem is, those that are dishonest are very rarely ever held accountable for their actions.

Why else would a person running for office spend more on a campaign than they would stand to earn from that position?  Many abuse the powers of the offices they are elected to in an effort to legalize only their form of theft.  Legal?  Yes.  Dishonest?  Absolutely.

Law != Honesty

And you know all this by thorough investigation and actually talking to people who are involved?
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

April 22, 2014, 12:48:37 pm #21 Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 12:52:55 pm by Ryex
The president of the US makes 500,000 a year. 4*500,000 = 2 Mill for their 4 year term.

http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/campaign-finance

spent 985 Mill to get there.

there is merit to his claim.

then you look down at the major donors and you realize that that single persons threw up to 15 mill each at Romney and 5 mill each at Obama.
though I'm plesently surprised that 68% of Obama donation capital was made of donations under $2500
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Crasger

April 22, 2014, 10:13:54 pm #22 Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:16:22 pm by Crasger
I've noticed the requirements for running for Presidency is rather ridiculous.

I'm not sure with America, but where I live the requirements of being able to run for presidency are as follows:

• Can read and write

• Natural-born citizen

• At least 40-years old

That's pretty much it. Any rich and popular fool can hold power. They don't need any experience with Law, they don't need any experience except the ability to read and write.

But I think I'm straying off topic.

Blizzard

Wasn't there some sort of requirement of minimum wealth in order to reduce the chance of bribing?

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Crasger

April 23, 2014, 01:52:58 am #24 Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:55:48 am by Crasger
Not sure, which country are we talking about with that?

Anyway, we are straying off a bit.

Blizzard

The US. I just realized that you wrote "I'm not sure with America, but where I live" and not "In America". xD

Crasger

Yeeaap.

Dunno with America though, if I remember correctly it's almost the same as the requirements for where I live, too.

Ryex

yep, the requirements are identical except the age limit is 35 not 40. the problem is that in order to be on the ballet you have to be backed by a political party. and in order to get into the debates you have to be back by either the republican or democrat parties.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Crasger

I see.

Parties are optional here, and instead of two we have a fuckton of them. It's like a competition with teams really. Most parties team up just to disband other parties.

Ryex

April 23, 2014, 07:32:37 pm #29 Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 01:47:43 am by Ryex
ya, the two party system is so ingrained into the system here that the leader of the House of representatives is chosen by which ever party has a majority of the house seats.

It's been blamed for a lot of the problems here, how the government moves so slowly, never get anything done ect. But I can only imagine the horror if we had more than two parties fighting over agendas in the congress. The real problem however is lobbying. Now days about 82% (no, not a made up statistic) of those employed as congressmen or to the staff of congressmen end up employed in the lobbying industry when their terms expire. The mere fact that it's a freaking INDUSTRY pisses me off. companies spends billions paying people to live their lives basically shoulder to shoulder with senators and get them to vote and draft laws in their favor. and the turn over rate from congress into the lobbying industry has basically become a legal form of bribery. "ya know Senator, if you draft this law and vote for it you'll look perfect to accept this new position we're opening up when your term expires, we'll give you a signing bonus of a few million" or "Ya know, we can help fund your campaign next year"

The US Government is full of that kind of bullshit. The voice of the people has been drowned out by the very vocal voice of lobbyists.

Crasger

Blizzard

Ryex

Game designers understand how broken our government systems are better than the people in charge of those systems do. And that frightens me.

me too youtube commentator, me too.

see, this is the kind of thing I'm talking about.
when I was growing up I was taught that I was one of 300 Million lucky bastards out of 7.1 billion, one of the luck 4% that lived in the only perfect country in the world. that our government was impervious to corruption because of how it was set up as a democracy. that I should be proud of my government and always vote to ensure it stayed true to the right way of life.

then I grew up and by the middle of high school I started to see the truth. I still a lucky bastard because I have several freedoms and support systems that just don't exist anywhere else. but the USA was FAR form perfect. That it works about as well as a warehouse of monkeys on typewriters censored by two kids arguing over which gibberish the monkeys are spouting is best.

Heretic86

I find it to be pretty amazing that there are a couple of posts that at least imply that Politicians are Honest.  If they were honest, Lobbying would be useless because they wouldnt respond to their legalized bribes.

Lies actually require two participants, a person to speak the Lie, and a person to believe the Lie.  The volume of lies was my biggest mindblow when it came to realizing the world is the way I thought it was in school.  Liars are gonna say they are honest, so what is the point of as asking them if they are honest?  I've done my homework and have investigated and have directly participated.  The election system is corrupt.  People are expected to vote for who they are ordered to vote for, and if they do not, their votes are literally not counted.  Their votes are invalidated under what ever excuse they can come up with.  "Its a coup".  Um, isnt a Coup basically the vote of the Majority?

Too much on Politics, but same topic of Lies.

I watched Cosmos last night from Mondays show.  And again, another example of Lies and Big Power was GM saying that Lead is perfectly safe, while the guy that figured out the age of the Earth (based on Uranium decay into Lead) was discredited due to profits.  The show is pretty sciencey and not too political, so if anyones interested, its still a good show to watch.  I'll try to get off Politics because its taking over the thread, we all made our points.

---

Science Blows My Mind

Some of the science stuff is another thing that just boggles my mind about the world being what I thought it was.  We see the world through our eyes and experiences, but when we start looking at everything from a scientific perspective, the world becomes very different, very cool, very strange, and for me, just fascinating.  The idea that in your eyeball, you have more atoms than there are suns in the entire universe!  But there are more suns in the universe than there are grains of sand of all the beaches of the entire planet!  Other things like Spacetime.  Dark Matter and Dark Energy.  The known matter universe is roughly 90 billion light years across, but its only 13.8 billion years old, and there is no way for matter to move "faster than light"!

As much as Science blows my mind, the other end of the extreme is Human Stupidity.

Its not always a lack of understanding or the ability to understand, but the lack of effort that people put forth to understand.  Like communicating with dogs.  Ive never found it difficult, but I see many people that do flat out stupid things like pet their dogs when they are growling and being aggressive expecting that the dog will "calm down" from petting it?

Other things are incredibly laughable.  Some people dont get technology at all.  For example, holding up a piece of paper to a computer monitor and saying "scan" and expecting the computer to recognize voice commands.  Thinking a Mouse is a Foot Pedal.  Believing you can "download INK" off the internet.  Not buy, order and ship, but literally download something physical, like a cheeseburger.  People that dont know that your CMOS battery is not strong enough to power your computer when the fucking power is out!  People that think that Deer Crossing Signs are there to tell Deer that they can cross the road there!  People that can not figure out that if you are travelling 78.2 miles per hour, you travel 78.2 miles in one hour!  People that think PHP is a Street Drug, not a programming language!  People that think the Earth is flat.  Darwin Award Winners!  The list of things that people do that arent just normal stupid but exceptionally stupid just goes on and on and on.

Einstein was right.  There are only two things that are Infinite.  The universe, and Human Stupidity.  And he was not absolutely certain about the Universe...
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

Blizzard

Who said anything about politicians? You are twisting my words. I said rich and successful, businessmen that worked their asses off to get where they are today. I am not even talking about rich kids who inherited their wealth. You entirely disregarded my question and took it out of context by applying it only to politicians.

Heretic86

@Blizz - I split the thread to reply.  Dishonesty is something that I did not think was the way it is.  Topic is very broad and I felt worth splitting so I'll just stick to the original topic here.

Do you feel science also shows the world is not the way each of us thought it was?
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

Crasger

April 25, 2014, 09:09:07 pm #36 Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 09:19:10 pm by Crasger
I remember this quote from somewhere but I can't remember who said it:
"We're taking comedians seriously and the government as a joke"
Something along those lines. I know I didn't type out the exact quote. Anyone know this line?

EDIT: Here's the real quote:
"Everything is changing. People are taking the comedians seriously and the politicians as a joke."

It was apparently uttered by Will Rogers. He's got other one-liners about this subject; such as:

"A fool and his money are soon elected."
and
"There are three kinds of men:
The ones that learn by reading.
The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to touch an electric fence."

Well, he's a rather jolly old man, isn't he?

Ryex

Ryex