[XP] Blacksmith System (New Configuration Program!)

Started by ForeverZer0, April 21, 2010, 04:50:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninjason

Zer0 you are a GOD among us mortals.

especially that application got me bursting "kraaasser Scheiß!"

which roughly translates to "insaaaane Shit!"  :ninja:

I am stunned. Thank you.
there's only one Ninja an these are the scripts he currently uses:
* Easy Party Switcher by Blizzard (v2.43b)
* Universal Message System (v1.8.0) by Ccoa
* Active-Time-Battle by MakirouAru
* Catergorized Items Menu (v1.3) by albertfish
* Law's Custom Equipment Screen (v2.?) by The Law G14
* Advanced Shop Status Window (v2.0) by RPG Advocate, edited by Fantasist
* Blacksmith Shop (v2.0) by ForeverZer0
* Quest Log System (v3.0) by game_guy
* Enemy HP & MP Bars by Asandril
* Map Location (v1.0) by Hunter x
* Switch Checker by Night_Runners (made for me specifically)
* Redd's TitleIcons by Redd
* Journal (v2.4) by ForeverZer0
* Drago Smooth Scroller (v2.02) by LiTTleDRAgo

ForeverZer0

Thank you, I'm glad you like it. I understand that configuring such a script can be confusing and tedious, at best. Especially for a large game. I hope that the program will help alleviate a lot of that.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

GrieverSoft

You know, that's just- that's just frakkin' awesome.  This blacksmith system is pretty damn good, I personally couldn't ask for more.

Okay, I'm lying, just one tidbit that's just bugging me and I'm dying to ask.  One feature suggestion:

*In the script call, the user can specify not only the items, but their price (or if they're free)

For example, if someone (like me, for instance) implemented a system where you can kiss a vendor's ass for lower prices, or had in-menu item crafting skills (Use the "Leatherworking" skill in menu to open a crafting scene) in which it wouldn't make sense for items to even have prices.

How does that sound?

8)
I like pie.  The pie is also evil.

ForeverZer0

I could, but it would require re-writing a pretty large amount of script. I didn't really put the fore-thought into allowing the prices be dynamic. One alternative, though kind of crappy one, would be to create duplicate weapons and configurations that appear to be the same but are not. You can then even use an event to decide the "ass-kissing" thing and have it split to branches that use different script calls.

I know, not a great alternative, but it would work.
I may at some later date think about it some more (I still have to add the item-naming thing), but until then this may be the way you have to do it, sorry.  :shy:
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

GrieverSoft

I thought of that alternative, too.  And you're right, crappy it be.

How's the item-naming thing gonna work?  Like on Final Fantasy X (named automatically) or the Elder Scrolls (you get to name it)?

ForeverZer0

Likely a Name Edit screen will pop up when a new item is created. As it is now, a duplicate of that weapon is placed in the inventory. It is kept separate, but you makes it hard to distinguish them if the wrong CMS is used, since the differences in stats and/or states and elements is not seen.

It works by actually creating new items in the database. If you mess around and create some new items, then close-reopen the editor, you will see that they have been added to your database.

This kinda of makes it hard for creating extractions for items once they have been enchanted though, since they are no longer in the actual original item, but one with a whole new ID, therefore cannot be defined in the configuration ahead of time.

GrieverSoft

How does that differ from the creation system?

ForeverZer0

The forging simply requires pre-defined items to create pre-defined other items. Same with extraction. Enchanting creates a whole new item, not yet defined in the database. Basically a replica of the original, but with the added effects given to it by the item that enchanted it.

GrieverSoft

Shalaren

Script 'Window_help' line 26 Type error
err :< I keep getting an Type error, first it was inside the addons and now its there,
it has some problem with text, why does it do that? ><"~

Jragyn

If instabilities is an issue as far as ripping items etc from the project, rather than running a script thingy to output a file, why not take a gander at Blizz-ABS's config program? It reads everything thats in the project, doesn't it? And isn't it like... open-sourced or something? I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you utilized a portion of that program to make your work that much easier. :D
A bright light can either illuminate or blind, but how will you know which until you open your eyes?

ForeverZer0

May 02, 2011, 01:14:45 am #71 Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 02:39:29 am by ForeverZer0
Blizz didn't embed Ruby in the app. He actually did it in an even harder way by writing his own class that could read (at least partially) a Ruby Marshaled object. To be perfectly honest, I don't deem this script worthy of so much work. The config program would be many time more difficult to write (at least for me) if I had went that particular route. I have embedded IronRuby in C# and have been able to read the .rxdata, but it is a slightly tedious process translating between the two languages. That's why I went the simple route and have the user just run a small script in there game which will ouput a file in a universal format. It only needs to be done once, and then the data can be serialized in C# and doesn't need to be done again, so I didn't think it was that big of a deal. I doubt I will change it, unless I get bored some day and have nothing else to fiddle with.  :naughty:

EDIT:
I just noticed a couple of minor errors that need fixed with the program:

• Will get syntax error in RMXP unless something is defined for every category

• Price does not change properly when selecting between items

• A ", ]" is left trailing at one of the output configurations, which will also cause an error

I will fix these very soon, probably tomorrow. Sorry for the inconvenience , everyone.

Jragyn

Haha, what Blizzard did is beyond me at this time. All I know is that his program reads all the data in your project, and then it spits out a script to use :D Anyways, I appreciate you expaining how it works, though. I too am trying to teach myself C#(for XNA purposes) and every little bit helps as far as other people trying to teach me a bit too. :)

Once again though, your scripts are impressive and I insist you keep up the good work.
A bright light can either illuminate or blind, but how will you know which until you open your eyes?

Shalaren

ForeverZer0

May 02, 2011, 10:10:46 pm #74 Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 03:04:26 am by ForeverZer0
Down for repairs at the moment. I don't want someone getting anymore of the versions with the bugs. I'm almost done. Should be back up within the hour. I'll bump when its up.

EDIT:
Sorry for the hold-up. I fixed almost everything. The gold issue is slightly more involved than I thought it would be. I have to rethink it through how it works. Basically an event is raised when the value is changed, and the proper value gets applied to the selected item. Problem is when the player moves around between tabs and different items, the program changes the value to match the new selected item, which in turn raises said event, resetting it again, but now incorrectly. Sounds like it could be fixed by simply changing the order of when things are done, but apparently not, cause I now find myself searching around trying to backtrace a bug, and find out how to fix it without having to restructure a bunch. But now I'm tired, and sleep I must, so you will all have to wait for the morrow.  ;)

PhoenixFire

I must wait?!?   NUUUUU!!!!

lolz.. I just reactivated my RMXP with a new trial key though, so I can start some more work on T.E.P. and I decided I'm definitely using this feature. Though, I do need to do a bit of planning for what features to use in what areas.. Like, I don't want to enable people to use enchanted items right off the start, but, I would like this feature incorporated into the Blacksmith in the first small village... grrr...

EDIT: Also, level ++ for all the work you've been putting into this, and, other scripts. They're just awesome.
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Bradley_Theory

ForeverZer0

Fixed the following bugs in the configuration program:

• Proper Ruby syntax for every option that is not defined. No more errors with the script.

• Fixed problem with proper value for the forge/extract price being displayed

• Fixed error loading saved configurations. They will now load fully and remember everything you defined so far

• Made some minor improvements and restructuring internally

See the original post for the new link.

Shalaren

ForeverZer0

Thank you for yet another vague statement. You excel at those.