[XP] Blizz-ABS

Started by Blizzard, January 09, 2008, 08:21:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Niche

Wink, how's the system coming along?
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

winkio

I have not worked on it in an undisclosed amount of time.  Which reminds me, I think Blizz said he needed the next version soon.  Like a month ago.  Hm...

The Niche

Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

winkio

Ah, right, he wanted me to fix forcemove.  I'll get that done this weekend I think.

poxy

Quote from: poxysmash on August 01, 2010, 08:52:18 pm
About the combo system... I'm trying to add some style to my attacks so pressing attack 3 times in a row causes three different sprite animations like left hook, right hook, and uppercut.
Anyway, I configure the combo, works as it should but the sprites in each action are drawn over the regular attack sprite and shifted down as if they are weapon sprites. Is this intended? How would I make it appear as three attacks that look differently (without using skills)?
Quote from: winkio on August 01, 2010, 11:07:25 pm
yeah, that's something I was debating over.  The thing is, if you are using a combo sprite, you don't need the normal attack sprite anyways, right?  So you could just leave it blank.  That fact that it's on top lets you make shiny overlays.  I'll probably have an option to put it on top or replace the original sprite in the next version.

What if one wanted to use different attack sprites and weapon sprites per each combo attack? This is doable with the current system but it requires making sprites with weapons attached... which doesn't exactly support the attack model used so far. And the sprites would have to be aligned by adding white space, since it seems they are drawn the same as weapons.
My Project: ShowHide

winkio

the purpose of splitting them up in the attack model is so that you don't have to duplicate poses for weapons of the same type.  The situation is entirely different for combos, which makes the splitting up entirely unnecessary.

OracleGames

The combo system was a very clever idea, cant wait to try it out Q_Q, had very hard times making charging skills working as i wanted with animations.

So if i make a weapon combo type, will it still use the default "atk" and "wpn" sprites?
Will it execute the combo every time i attack with it? or more important, is there a way i can save up sprite space if i have different classes using the same itm and weapons? or enemies using various skills with different charsets (unnecessary cloned)

The Niche

Wow, fairly intelligent questions :P. As far as I know, unless you specifically change the animation the system will use whatever animation it should (as in, if the combo includes a default attack, then the system will use the default attack sprite). The combo will be executed once all its requirements have been fulfilled. So, if you only require one button to be pressed, then the combo will be executed every time that button is pressed. The system is also capable of having actual button combos to trigger combos as well. I can't answer your last two questions, however.

winkio

Quote from: OracleGames on September 21, 2010, 02:31:30 pm
The combo system was a very clever idea, cant wait to try it out Q_Q, had very hard times making charging skills working as i wanted with animations.

So if i make a weapon combo type, will it still use the default "atk" and "wpn" sprites?
Will it execute the combo every time i attack with it? or more important, is there a way i can save up sprite space if i have different classes using the same itm and weapons? or enemies using various skills with different charsets (unnecessary cloned)

All default sprites will still be used.  The combo system simply allows you to display additional sprites and animations if you choose to do so.  Also, the combo system isn't typed, by which I mean that weapons, skills, items, and enemies all combo the same way.  You can even have a combo that involves both weapons and skills.

This Side Backwards

I'm currently working on a game using the combo system, I have to say, it's working out really well. Just one question, is it possible to integrate a second weapon into the combo? An example would be if the player currently has a sword equipped, doing the normal swing, is there a way to have the character use another weapon that could be configured to use, say, a spear attack pattern (straight forwards) so that the combo would essentially be a swing, then a stab? (Just as an example). I've fiddled with switches and common events, it works, but is just long to set up for multiple weapons and characters. I'm fine if it isn't currently possible, I was just wondering if I was missing something in the combo menu...
Thanks for the great work on BABS so far though winkio!

OracleGames

September 21, 2010, 07:25:13 pm #3830 Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 07:34:12 pm by OracleGames
Quote from: This Side Backwards on September 21, 2010, 06:46:07 pm
I'm currently working on a game using the combo system, I have to say, it's working out really well. Just one question, is it possible to integrate a second weapon into the combo? An example would be if the player currently has a sword equipped, doing the normal swing, is there a way to have the character use another weapon that could be configured to use, say, a spear attack pattern (straight forwards) so that the combo would essentially be a swing, then a stab? (Just as an example). I've fiddled with switches and common events, it works, but is just long to set up for multiple weapons and characters. I'm fine if it isn't currently possible, I was just wondering if I was missing something in the combo menu...

Make the first action a normal swing attack and the second one a thrusting skill, just put the spear (or whatever) hit animation,sprite and sound to the skill and nobody will see the difference xD.

It`d be nice if you could manipulate the distance enemies are knocked back with skills and weapons, it would make combo system even sweeter. Just imagine a skill combo that:

1.-Connects the enemy from a distance (Stuns/maybe), and puts you next to him (thanks to force move and speed change) but without knocking him back  (handle if you dont hit).

2.- you shred him with multiple attacks, and knock him back x number of cells at the end (shake screen effect)

3.- you throw a final distance attack that can be shuriken, an arrow or even a kamehameha ;P

winkio

Quote from: This Side Backwards on September 21, 2010, 06:46:07 pm

You could also try equipping a different weapon with a script call, in the middle of the combo (and be sure to requip the normal weapon after it's done).

@OracleGames: custom knockbacks are coming soon, but they are completely unrelated to the combo system.

poxy

Quote from: winkio on September 21, 2010, 01:49:18 am
the purpose of splitting them up in the attack model is so that you don't have to duplicate poses for weapons of the same type.  The situation is entirely different for combos, which makes the splitting up entirely unnecessary.

I am planning to use the same combo poses for different weapons. I found a way to do this with the current system, only problems being creating individual graphics for each pose & weapon, and having to use the same number of frames and frame delay for each attack, at least until the feature where the combo can use any skill in the database becomes available.

Also anxious for the weapon types to be added to skill types, that would really make combo possibilities near limitless. Much respect for your work, winkio.

winkio

Quote from: poxysmash on September 21, 2010, 08:25:11 pm
Quote from: winkio on September 21, 2010, 01:49:18 am

I am planning to use the same combo poses for different weapons. I found a way to do this with the current system, only problems being creating individual graphics for each pose & weapon, and having to use the same number of frames and frame delay for each attack, at least until the feature where the combo can use any skill in the database becomes available.

Also anxious for the weapon types to be added to skill types, that would really make combo possibilities near limitless. Much respect for your work, winkio.

er, you can use the same combo for each attack.  You can also use any skill in any combo.  Either you are confused about the system, or I am confused about what you are saying...

poxy

But the different attacks would have different graphics for each stage of the attack. Eg. downward slice, cross slice, stab for different swords with different graphics.

When I mentioned the skills it was about the subject brought up in the Blizz-ABS bug topic, of how the skills have to be ones the player has learned.

But I retract my comment about frames and delays, I made that up apparently.

This Side Backwards

This next question may be a tough one...

Is there any way BABS can be edited so that sprites for skills (_skl) are centered on the battler the same way _wpn sprites are?
My character's sprite extends futher than the normal bottom, but a centered sprite would allow for much more space on all sides...

winkio

Oh yeah, I already did something like that for Dissipate, I just keep forgetting to add it back in to Blizz-ABS.  It is in the next version though :)

This Side Backwards

Is there any quick edit I could make in the meantime?

winkio

This Side Backwards

That's alright, I'm looking forwards to the next version then!

Thanks for keeping BABS alive winkio!