Is Humanity Evolving?

Started by Vell, March 28, 2009, 12:55:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fugibo

Meh. As long as you're not like "GOD IS FOR IDIOTS, LOLHA," I don't take much offense.

Honestly, there are many things about God that I know can't be understood, or interpreted logically. You can just accept them, doublethink-style. Like omnipresence and omniscience. And you can't ever definitely say anything about him other than what you take to be true from the foundations of your respective religion (ie what your main religious text, accepted truths, etc state, such as facts layed out by the Bible/Quran/Dianetics). For now, I'm getting tired (I only stay awake for ~12-14 hours a day, unlike most people who can stay up to midnight and beyond and still be up as early as me, which I don't understand), so yeah... 'nuff writing and having people take me seriously. :P

On topic: I think that what makes humans _really_ unique is that we've found an entirely new method of evolution, beyond just natural selection -- intellectual evolution, our ability to "reprogram" ourselves at will to adapt. We can evolve within a single generation, and then pass it on, exponentially increasing our rate of "evolution" and leading to technology, philosophy, and so on. *Longfellow goes to sleep, and hopes his name is changed now :P*

Seox

Quote from: Longfellow on June 14, 2009, 10:07:45 pm
Meh. As long as you're not like "GOD IS FOR IDIOTS, LOLHA," I don't take much offense.

Honestly, there are many things about God that I know can't be understood, or interpreted logically. You can just accept them, doublethink-style. Like omnipresence and omniscience. And you can't ever definitely say anything about him other than what you take to be true from the foundations of your respective religion (ie what your main religious text, accepted truths, etc state, such as facts layed out by the Bible/Quran/Dianetics). For now, I'm getting tired (I only stay awake for ~12-14 hours a day, unlike most people who can stay up to midnight and beyond and still be up as early as me, which I don't understand), so yeah... 'nuff writing and having people take me seriously. :P

On topic: I think that what makes humans _really_ unique is that we've found an entirely new method of evolution, beyond just natural selection -- intellectual evolution, our ability to "reprogram" ourselves at will to adapt. We can evolve within a single generation, and then pass it on, exponentially increasing our rate of "evolution" and leading to technology, philosophy, and so on. *Longfellow goes to sleep, and hopes his name is changed now :P*

@Longfellow's On topic -
Interesting. It's very true, and AMAZING when put into perspective...that we can hyperevolve (USING A FIRE STONE! >.>) within a single generation. It's right there, and I've never thought about it. Nice.
... (<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< TEH DOTS OF DOOM. Hey, kinda catchy. :naughty:)

Blizzard

Yes, please refrain from religious debates as they are forbidden on this forum. :P
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Seox

Quote from: Blizzard on June 15, 2009, 04:35:59 am
Yes, please refrain from religious debates as they are forbidden on this forum. :P

I know. I just figured that that question, although religious, was not likely to trigger any flame wars. Sorry if it was pushing it ><

So, as far as evolution is concerned, what do you guys think humanity's next macroevolutional stage will be? (IE, what's the next "big difference?" Another finger?)

fugibo

Super-vanity. We'll be able to change our appearance over time. Seems to fit natural selection well enough.

Diokatsu

We're all gonna grow rockets out of our asses fueled by our farts.

fugibo

Quote from: Diokatsu on June 15, 2009, 05:06:36 pm
We're all gonna grow rockets out of our asses fueled by our farts.

Yay for dilbert :P

Vell

Quote from: Seox on June 15, 2009, 12:39:12 pm
So, as far as evolution is concerned, what do you guys think humanity's next macroevolutional stage will be? (IE, what's the next "big difference?" Another finger?)

For the record, I would like to point out that there is a term for having six fingers: polyploidy, and the gene for it is actually DOMINATE over the five fingered gene.

fugibo

Quote from: UltaFlame on June 15, 2009, 05:11:59 pm
Quote from: Seox on June 15, 2009, 12:39:12 pm

For the record, I would like to point out that there is a term for having six fingers: polyploidy, and the gene for it is actually DOMINATE over the five fingered gene.

Last time I checked, it was called polydactyly. And yes, it is dominate, just like most other mutations >_<

EDIT: Wait, polyploidy? God, you're an idiot, Ulta.

Vell

Iunno. twas long time ago that I heard of it.

Seox

Actually, I was thinking about that, just as I posted. I remembered that it WAS dominate - before that, I was like, OMGWTF how is that in ANY way advantageous to the point of evolution?!?!

But meh.

Thanks for terminology ^_^