First Assignment, concept and design

Started by Ryex, April 08, 2011, 05:43:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cyclope

Quote from: The Niche on April 13, 2011, 06:57:45 pm
List as it stands:

• Experience atrophy, timed by a configurable method (Battle count, turn count, timer, off)

• Upgraded skills replace predecessors and are actual database skills

I vote for jragyn's idea about branching, that upgrades have multiple skill requirements.

I aprove both and also aprove the branching idea.
Things I Hate

1. People who point at their wrist asking for the time... I know where my watch is pal, where the hell is yours? Do I point at my crotch when I ask where the toilet is?

2. People who are willing to get off their a** to search the entire room for the TV remote because they refuse to walk to the TV and change the channel manually.

3. When people say "Oh you just want to have your cake and eat it too". Damn Right! What good is cake if you can't eat it?

4. When people say "it's always the last place you look". Of course it is. Why the hell would you keep looking after you've found it? Do people do this? Who and where are they?

5. When people say while watching a film, "did ya see that?" No Loser, I paid $12 to come to the cinema and stare at the damn floor!

6. People who ask "Can I ask you a question?"... Didn't give me a choice there, did ya sunshine?

Sacred Nym

List as it stands:

• Experience atrophy, timed by a configurable method (Battle count, turn count, timer, off)

I vote for jragyn's idea about branching, that upgrades have multiple skill requirements.

I like this. For the EXP Atrophy I advocate the Battle count without use. Anything else might make it too hard for a player just to maintain skill levels, let alone upgrade them.
Quote昨日の自分に「さようなら」
Say "Goodbye" to who you were yesterday.

GrieverSoft

April 13, 2011, 11:09:33 pm #42 Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:36:07 am by GrieverSoft
I also suggest something like a buffer.  Instead of experience atrophying immediately, there's sort of a grace period that, without use, runs out before the experience starts going down with neglect.  I suggest it is configurable to the skill, so that more advanced skills have a longer grace period.  However, I think this might be a bit too much for we newbs.

Edit:
Alternatively, there can be a way that the script does this for us, e.g, the more advanced skills in a skill line have longer grace periods automatically.
I like pie.  The pie is also evil.

Jragyn

So then, we are all in
Quote from: cyclope on April 13, 2011, 07:01:54 pm
List as it stands:

Quote from: GrieverSoft on April 13, 2011, 11:09:33 pm
I also suggest something like a buffer.  Instead of experience atrophying immediately, there's sort of a grace period that, without use, runs out before the experience starts going down with neglect.  I suggest it is configurable to the skill, so that more advanced skills have a longer grace period.  However, I think this might be a bit too much for we newbs.

Edit:
Alternatively, there can be a way that the script does this for us, e.g, the more advanced skills in a skill line have longer grace periods automatically.

I aprove both and also aprove the branching idea.

Alright then, we are all in agreement with what the script will supply the user?
Don't forget that after we create it, I'm sure we can always add more later.
ie: ver. 1.0 -> 2.0 -> etc.

Well Ryex, I think we're set.
A bright light can either illuminate or blind, but how will you know which until you open your eyes?

Ryex

I'll start writing up the next lesson and a chance for a few more people to reply before I post it.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

GrieverSoft

What are the features we're all agreeing upon for ver. 1.0?

Jragyn

Quote from: Sacred Nym on April 13, 2011, 09:41:28 pm
List as it stands:

I like this. For the EXP Atrophy I advocate the Battle count without use. Anything else might make it too hard for a player just to maintain skill levels, let alone upgrade them.

Like this, it looks like, unless you disagree.
A bright light can either illuminate or blind, but how will you know which until you open your eyes?

GrieverSoft

Sacred Nym

Quote from: GrieverSoft on April 13, 2011, 11:09:33 pm
I also suggest something like a buffer.  Instead of experience atrophying immediately, there's sort of a grace period that, without use, runs out before the experience starts going down with neglect.  I suggest it is configurable to the skill, so that more advanced skills have a longer grace period.  However, I think this might be a bit too much for we newbs.

Edit:

I'm for this grace period idea, but it should be configurable by the user. I don't think it's that complicated at all but even if it is, we should be prepared to step out of our comfort zones. We'll learn more that way.

With exception to this grace period idea, I'd say we're set on how the system is going to look.
Quote昨日の自分に「さようなら」
Say "Goodbye" to who you were yesterday.

element

Sorry I haven't Replied Here...
Didn't see it.

I don't really know alot of skill systems so I can't give any input.
But I like the previous said things

flrodude

I personally want some non-combat skills that are for events. like cooking, gardening, charm, persuation, that can be checked and conditioned in events.
Example:

Check cooking level: 4

If cooking level 4
-Bob says: Hey can you help me cook this fish?
Else
I don't need your help.

GrieverSoft

April 17, 2011, 04:53:50 pm #51 Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 09:39:27 pm by GrieverSoft
That's why there should be a script call, to increase or decrease the experience of event-driven, non-combat passive skills.

Jragyn

Thngs like that can be done completely through events with variables. :\

GrieverSoft

Yeah, but it would be extremely tedious and a script call based on the skills' ID number would save you the work of making a bunch of conditional branches and using up variables.

AngryPacman

Alright, I know this assingment is closed, but I came back late from holidays and I need to fill in my work.
Pretty much what I'd want is a simple system that upgrades skills with uses, i.e. Stone I >> Stone II >> Stone III >> A Giant Boulder!
Now that that's out of the way, I'll just take a glance at the second lesson...
G_G's a silly boy.