Casting a skill via a common event? [RMXP]

Started by michaelsoftman, January 26, 2016, 06:33:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelsoftman

Hello!  I had a quick question.

I'm trying to set up a skill in RMXP similar to the Blitz ability from FF6.  Basically, you cast the skill which only has an animation and a dummy status (so there's no miss animation) and then it calls a common event.  The event uses the Button Input Processing to record your inputs, then if you do it correctly, it should cast the skill.  I have no trouble with testing this part with a pass or fail message.

However, I'm having a bit of trouble with Force Action.  It never seems to work no matter how I set it.  I read a bit online and most people say you can only use Force Action on the Troops page in the DB.  Is this true?  Is there any way to cast a skill via events?

KK20

What does your event look like? Looking through the Interpreter code, there's nothing there that prevents processing a Force Action in a common event. I've also checked and was successful.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

michaelsoftman

Hello, thanks for your reply. I'm posting this from my phone at work while on break, I can get a screenshot of the event later if you need.  Basically this it is.

The skill is set to target the user, with only an animation and dummy status (so it looks like an activation animation).  The skill calls the common event.

The event is as follows:
Text box saying "input commands"
Button input processing
Conditional branch to check if you pressed Up
Button input processing
Conditional branch to check if you pressed Left
Force action, set to player 1, target random enemy with skill Fire, set to execute now
End event processing

Then both 'fail' parts of the conditional branches have a text box saying "incorrect input" and an End event processing

If I change the force action to something like another text box, it works fine saying the input was correct.  With the force action in there, just nothing happens and the battle proceeds as normal.

What I had read about force action before was that it may error since you're setting a player location (1 to 4) but the character using the skill and calling the event may be in a different party spot than what the force action is set to.

KK20

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!