Articles on world / story development?

Started by fthmdg, September 24, 2010, 09:05:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fthmdg

So I've started working on a new project. So far I've just been playing around with different systems and features, trying to come up with ideas and figure out how I want the gameplay to work. I started working on the storyline and got some basic ideas down, but I've hit a bit of a writers block. Does anybody know any good articles or tips on world creation and story writing pertaining to RPGs?

Thanks in advance!

The Niche

To start off, your problem, as far as I can see, is that you're trying to force inspiration, which can never work well. So what I'd advise you to do is go to tvtropes.org and find the grand list of console rpg cliches. Read that and the evil overlord list, then register on rmvxp and look at all the articles on characters, etc.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

fthmdg

That site you pointed me to was just what I needed, thanks! I looked over a couple plots as well as the superhero orgins and a few other things, and it really sparked some ideas. Before this, my 'game notes' file just had a couple paragraphs on the world in general and a very basic plot, and now I've got about three pages of storyline and ideas and such.

Thanks a ton!

The Niche

Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!