The Icon Next to the address in the address bar

Started by Ryex, March 29, 2008, 03:38:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

I guess i'l make the first topic in this section

You know the icon next to the address in the address bar in Firefox and IE that pears next to some sites? Chaos-project for example?

how do you define what it is?
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Aqua

Put this in the head of the coding.
<link href="/filename.ico" rel="shortcut icon">

Ryex

cool thanks!

so how do you do it for the smf forum
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

It will appear only all subsites. Actually it's enough if you name the file favicon.ico and put it in the folder where your site points to. i.e. chaos-project.com points to my "public_html" folder, I simply put the file there.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

so if you put an .ico format icon in your home directory it will automatically add it as a shortcut icon?

Blizzard

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

March 30, 2008, 05:18:51 pm #6 Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 05:37:07 pm by Ryex
thanks.  whats the max size it can be?

edit: it didn't work

darklight

March 30, 2008, 09:35:05 pm #7 Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 09:40:20 pm by darklight
favicons are 16x16 pixels. Also, try taking out the forward slash, so it's like this:

<head>
<link href="favicon.ico" rel="shortcut icon">
</head>

If it doesn't work then chances are it didn't save correctly as an .ico, unless you're using a program specifically for making favicons.

The demo release has been pushed back. In the meantime, you can check out my resources thread.
I'm also working on the project site - stay tuned for a launch very soon!

Blizzard

You can make it a png file with 256 colors and rename it to .ico without problems. Maybe your host doesn't support automatic favicons. O_o

legacyblade

It took my host a few days to notice the favicon file, so just give it a few days.

Blizzard

Even with this new temporary host, it was instantly recognized by this host where CP is now on. O_o
IDK, on koreru before it worked instantly as well.

Ryex