EXT File systems on windows! Why you should be very happy right now.

Started by Ryex, July 05, 2014, 01:48:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

It finally exists!

http://www.paragon-drivers.com/extfs-windows/

FULL Read Write support for Ext2/3/4 File-systems! you've no Idea how happy this makes me.

for those of you who don't know Ext is the file-system developed for unix and linux computers. It's a journaling file system meaning that even through a power failure it's hard to corrupt. Whats more they are built to spread the files out across the drive in such a way that they naturally prevent fragmentation you never have to defrag them. There are examples of high load ext filesystems that have been in service for more than 2 decades that are only at about 15% fragmentation.

So why am I so happy? this means that I can use ext4 on my 3TB drive and not have to worry about fragmentation or data loss like I would if it was NTFS!
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

I've sent out an email to a couple of people who I know use Linux and Mac. I'm sure they will be happy about this. :)
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

PhoenixFire

I think I just had a braingasm... This is actually pretty awesome! Thanks for sharing =D
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Ryex

Sadly after some use my enthusiasm has been tempered. It's a temperamental beast it is. sure it could read and write just fine. but it's far from stable. It crashes every 30 minuts on me with no log entry for what went wrong. it logs every then else though every single action it does to the file system. just nothing for errors.

For now I've fallen back to EXT2FSD http://www.ext2fsd.com/
It's had a recent update that at lest means I can get some decent read only support for ext4
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

G_G