[RMXP] Reincarnations

Started by krosk, February 28, 2011, 12:15:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

krosk

February 28, 2011, 12:15:13 pm Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 01:00:24 pm by Blizzard

[size=8]Presentation[/size]

Project Name: Reincarnations
Platform : RMXP
Author : Krosk
Type : Classic turn-based RPG
Current demo length : 3h to 5h
Link : Demo 2f
Note: As the game has been translated into English by a non-native English-speaker (me...), there still might be some spelling or grammatical errors. Nothing too serious though.

PLEASE READ FIRST
You might still see in this topic (especially in the screens) some French word that have been left untranslated at that time. They are translated in the game.

[size=8]Story[/size]

Reincarnations tells the story of the Holders of Heart, who hold the destiny of the World of Era. They reincarnate periodically to accomplish their mission and fate. Their story spans on 3 eras, and is 6500 years long.

~ Modern Era - a barren world, where humanity struggles to survive.
On a desert planet where water is the most precious resource, the geologist Eus and his team are looking for water sources under a mountain, and accidentally discover a network of ancient ruins. During their exploration, Eus picks up a old notebook, and seems to be the only one being able to read what is inside "Kyrel's Notebook".
Spoiler: ShowHide

~ Oceans Era - a water world of exciting adventure and opportunities
2200 years earlier, on the same planet covered by oceans, a guild of thieves are after Nelis, a young girl with amnesia and mysterious powers. She is saved by a rival guild, and she meets Kyrel, a mercenary without morale values. Nelis is sure that Kyrel is one of the "key of her lost memories" she is looking for, and decides to follow him... Little does Kyrel know that this meeting will unravel secrets from a forgotten past.

As Eus explores the ancient ruins, discover with him the contents of Kyrel's notebook, and unravel a long forgotten story of the past.

Story mechanics
A "Save the world" tale.

* Modern Era : By discovering and reading Kyrel's notebook, Eus will discover the story of Reincarnations with the player.
* Ocean Era : This era is where/when the story mostly takes place. The player will follow Kyrel, Nelis and their fellows in their quest.
* Equilibrium Era : This era is the story's background. Something big is going on during this era, and the player will learn the root of the story with flashbacks.

The story is organized by chapters, each chapter being a part of Kyrel's notebook. Sometimes, the notebook will miss some parts. Eus will have to search for the lost parts in the ruins, by finding some clues or remembering some facts. Only when the parts are found, that the main story can continue.

[size=8]Characters[/size]

Relevant Characters List: ShowHide

Kyrel : M, 29 years old, Mercenary, main character of Ocean Era.
A mercenary in debt, an outlaw without moral.
Kyrel is a mercenary, who is doing some jobs here and there. He got a huge debt, that's the reason why he spends most of his time working on any mission he can do. To kill, to steal, or to protect, he doesn't mind doing anything as long as it is paid. That aside, he is too self confident and boastful. Maybe his only fear are Bellggus (Ocean Era monsters).

Nelis : F, 17 years old, main character of Ocean Era.
A young girl, a heavy burden, a ancient quest.
Nelis is a young girl with amnesia. Somehow, her heart tells her to search for some people. She doesn't know who they are, she just know she HAS to find them. And she is pretty sure those people might be the key of her lost memory. Personality-wise, she is unsociable, aggressive, manipulative, and other people are just tools to her.

Clann : M, 45 years old, Bellggus Hunter.
A lone hunter with a metal arm, hunting monsters.
Clann is a former monk warrior of the great Kingdom of Sersion. He lost everything dear to him in the past, along his arm, and he is now a lone wanderer. He is known for hunting Bellggus (Ocean Era monsters), under the nickname "Blood Scarf". He might inspire fear, but he is a straight man with morale values.

[size=8]Gameplay[/size]

Note: I mostly only use scripts I've written myself, hence no credits.

Magic mechanics :

See the full list of features: ShowHide
- Elemental circle :

There are 6 main elements (Fire, Thunder, Earth, Ice, Water, Wind). They do not work in a "rock scissor paper" system, but rather a "mutual weakness" system. Example : If Water is strong against Fire, Fire is also strong against Water. If Water is weak against Ice, Ice is weak against Water. And so on...

2 more elements, Creation and Destruction , have not been represented and play a specific role.

- Aura :

Each character and monster, awaken to magic, has a natural Aura: it determines their affinity with the elements, as well as their weakness. An Aura also opens a range of spells of the same element.

- Core and Minor: :

A Core is a unique elemental orb which can be equipped. An equipped Core gives the character a Minor, which is a secondary Aura, and opens a panel of learnable spells as well. The Minor doesn't modify the character elemental weaknesses though.

- Learning spells :

Spells can be learnt by earning experience, but not through leveling. Learnable spells depends on the character's Aura and Minor. Each spell get its own experience bar. When the bar is filled, the spell is learnt and can be used.

Any learnt spell is learnt for life. But it can be used only if the character has an Aura/Minor of the same element. Since you can change your Minor by changing the equipped Core, you can learn a wide variety of spell. But they can only be used if the Core of the same element is equipped.

- Magic class :

A pair "Aura - Minor" gives a Magic Class. Each Magic Class gives several and different bonuses. The type of the Class depends on the element of the Aura and the Minor. On the example here, a Thunder Aura and a Fire Minor opens the Circular Magic Class.

A Thunder Aura and a Wind Minor opens a Triangular Magic Class, giving other bonuses.

A lot of Class exists. And some spells are learnable only if you have the correct Class.

Battle System :

A classical turn-based RMXP Battle System with new features :

- GP, Gauge Points :

GP, Gauge Points, are a kind of secondary MP. Each character has its own GP pool. Each skill/spell uses GPs. The bar fills up when a player attacks / defends / kills an enemy / performs various actions, and the number of added / subtracted points depends on the equipped Core as well as the terrain influence.

- Terrain influence :

The terrain is under the influence of elements. The player can make a good use of these influences. At each turn, each element gets an associated alignment: Neutral (white), Creation (green) or Destruction (purple).

A Neutral alignment does not change the amount of gained/spent GP. A Creation alignment raises the amount of spent/gained GP. A Destruction alignment reduces the amount of spent/gained GP. A player with a specific Aura, let's say, an Aura of Fire, will see his GP raise or drop according to the alignment of the Fire element.

That is not all. the alignments change each turn and move like a wheel. The player will be able to affect the wheel of alignments.

- Ability :

Each character has his own Ability. It is a separate action from Attack, Defend, or Skills. The ability depends on the character : Combo, Aim, Counter, Analysis... Ability uses GPs.

Clann can mount extensions on his mechanical arm, and by pressing a sequence of arrows, you can trigger some powers.

Corall is able to scan an enemy.

- Chain attack :

If several characters attack the same monster, you can chain their attack to make the attack stronger, regardless of the action's order. Like a multi-character combo.

- Animation :

Some animated battlers, thanks to RO.

General Systems :

- Menus :
Every menu has been modified.

Main menu

Status menu

- Notebook :
The Notebook menu gathers save functions (with a Custom Save Menu), a bestiary, and a quest diary.

Save Menu

Bestiary

- World map and Random Encounters :
The characters will move on a drawn map, each region his own map.
Encounters don't occur randomly. A gauge fills up when the characters walks in hostile places (typically between places, cities, etc). When the gauge is filled, an encounter occurs.

- Random encounters :
On a map, enemies are visible. They appear around you, go after you, and disappear if they could not catch you.

This way, you can avoid or fight them head on.

- Battlers generators
Humans don't look all the same, do they? In Reincarnation, you will fight many humans.

This is the same enemy, but they will appear with randomly generated appearance.

- Counter and Poison :
The Counter (and his black market counterpart, the Poison) is an important place in Reincarnations which house many services: Quests, Information, and Traveling.

- Quests :
You can complete missions (or quests) in the game.
Some are mandatory to progress through the game, others are optional. They usually rewards you with equipment and money, but some difficult quests will award you with SP, Skill Potential points (see Skill Potential).
Those missions are given by people, through the Counter or when you talk to them.

- Skill Potential :
Learn the skills you want, or need.
Skills are not learned from leveling and experience. By completing some missions, you are awarded with Skill Potential points, which can be spent to learn Skills.
Each character has his own skill tree.

- Navigation :
Boat is one of the main form of traveling in Reincarnations.

To travel between ports, you need to ask the Counter. They will assign you to a ship, that you will need to protect during its journey.

Choose a destination, choose a ship among a list, and go!

This is the UI you will see during a trip. You can't move the ship since it is not yours... Many events can happen during the trip.

- Forge :
Weapons and Armors can be upgraded through a system of Quality.

Basically, it is like slotting a weapon/armor with an upgrade. Each Quality has its own set of bonuses, and their exist many kinds of Qualities.
You can upgrade equipment in Forges, though you need to pay and bring materials found on Bellggus.

- Misc :
* Many other things ;)

[size=8]Screenshots[/size]

Screenshots: ShowHide
~ Modern Era ~

WRS underground laboratory

Central Mountains

Ruins

~ Ocean Era ~

A meeting of thieves

A night in the forest

Border

The port of Luciane

Wooden house

The Counter

Video

Battle System
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxiUvEXuoiw
A bit outdated, but shows battle system mechanics

[size=8]Status[/size]

Demo status :
- Story: Demo show only the beginning...
- Mapping: 10%
- Gameplay: 95%
- Length: estimated to 3h+ at least

[size=8]Credits[/size]

-- Team --
Mapping : Aleks, superboss, M&A, cortez, 2DT, mario99, Felis Catus
-- Resources --
Chara : makenshi, Sunwarrior, Nessy, Ruruga, snake22, Ergg, 2DT, mario99, trucbidule
Tileset : shikamaru, Benben, superboss, 2DT
Animations : cortez, ringo
Faceset : Ruruga (http://fayforest.sakura.ne.jp/sozai/english.html)
-- Scripting tools --
Zeus81 for his resource inventory script
Berka for his in-game ruby console
Drakhaine for his skill tree
95% of the used scripts have been written or edited by me
-- Graphics --
Battlers : Ragnarok Online -from http://rosprites.blogspot.com/
Battleback : Ragnarok Online - Screenshots
Icones : Ragnarok Online and many sources
Misc : Chrono Trigger, Pokemon R/S/E, Uncharted Waters 2, Album de RPGMXP Studio, Water Margin Online
-- Music --
Yggdra Union, Sora no Kiseki FC, SC, the 3rd, Etrian Odyssey, Ar Tonelico I & II, Phantasy Star Online, The Last Remnant, ...

All the testers than have given be feedback and help.

And all the people who have expressed their encouragements.

Final words :
I hope you will have a great time playing Reincarnations. Please leave a little comment after you tried, feedback is always appreciated!

ForeverZer0

This looks very promising. I plan to check out the demo after I get off work.  ;)
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Kagutsuchi

This looks crazy! *downloading*

Blizzard

February 28, 2011, 01:09:26 pm #3 Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 01:13:20 pm by Blizzard
*puts remaining images into spoilers and moves topic into mains section*

I must say I really like the graphical representation of your game. The maps have a lot of detail, but don't look crowded together like most people make them. The menus are so custom that you can barely see the RMXP (if even at all). Even though you are using RO sprites as battlers, I haven't seen any RMXP game so far (not that there are none) that have used them and were finished. Still, they look very well incorporated into the game (and I like the fact that human enemies have a set of spriteset to use). The other systems in your game (such as skills and battle) look very interesting and well thought out. If you used just a bit more custom character spriteset on the map (i.e. for the main characters), it would be even better.
All in all, your game is giving off a very professional feel.

When do you estimate that you will be done with the game? I'd like to play it once it's finished (and I usually don't play RMXP games anymore).

EDIT: I just noticed a typo. It's not "unefficient" but "inefficient".
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Kagutsuchi

February 28, 2011, 02:06:07 pm #4 Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:58:41 pm by Kagutsuchi
Agree with blizzard, this game is really awesome and absolutely got that "professional" feel. I love the style of the game.
One thing to add: When you arrive at Luciane in the beginning of the game, I entered an item store and when I came out again, Nelis just a few tiles below, walking backwards at a rather fast pace. Intended?

Another bug report! In Luciane, on the right side of the village, the stairs that lead down from the market-area to the port-area, if you walk on the lower most tile of the staircase, you will not automatically walk down the entire thing, and once you reach the last step, you will automatically walk back to the top.

WhiteRose

I just skimmed over the topic, mostly looking over the character descriptions and the screenies, but I like what I see. I look forward to seeing future updates on this project.

Blizzard

I was first also just skimming, but the more screenshots I saw, the more interested I was in the rest so I read a bit as well. xD
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

krosk

Thanks a lot for your comments!

I'm very pleased to see a lot of positive reception on chaos-project!

Some answers:

Quote from: Blizzard on February 28, 2011, 01:09:26 pm
When do you estimate that you will be done with the game? I'd like to play it once it's finished (and I usually don't play RMXP games anymore).

EDIT: I just noticed a typo. It's not "unefficient" but "inefficient".

I expect to release the game chapters by chapters (consider the current demo as the chapter 1). However, at my current pace, and if I were to put everything I planned inside, it will take years (and I mean, double digit). So, as for an estimation time of completion, I can't give one, neither can I say for sure that I will finish this project, or if there will be a next release in the following months... I'll just try my best to keep going with this hobby of mine, and enjoy making good things.
(So, you might as well give it a try while you are interested in this project! )

Thanks for the typo :).

Quote from: Kagutsuchi on February 28, 2011, 02:06:07 pm
One thing to add: When you arrive at Luciane in the beginning of the game, I entered an item store and when I came out again, Nelis just a few tiles below, walking backwards at a rather fast pace. Intended?

Another bug report! In Luciane, on the right side of the village, the stairs that lead down from the market-area to the port-area, if you walk on the lower most tile of the staircase, you will not automatically walk down the entire thing, and once you reach the last step, you will automatically walk back to the top.

For Nelis: yes, it is intended, to tell you "watch your back, she is still there". You won't be able to catch her though.

For the bug: Thanks!

Kagutsuchi

No problem :) A shame about the estimated time :\ Large high-quality projects does indeed take a lot of time. The quality and work that have gone into this game looks like what you would expect from a professional gaming company.

G_G

How do you change it to english :S

krosk

Quote from: game_guy on March 01, 2011, 12:23:08 pm
How do you change it to english :S

See the "English.rar" archive ? Extract it in the folder of the game (More instructions on Read-me.txt)

If you can't extract it, it is maybe because you don't have extractor for such files. You should google one, like WinRAR.

G_G

Thanks. I saw the english.rar but I wasn't sure if I just extracted it or placed each of the files in their respective folders.

Susanm

this is one of the best games out there!  only thing is that you need to add more mini games.. would be awesome :roll:

rayquaza1000

Meow