An SDK Anecdote

Started by Blizzard, February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pm Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 03:46:20 pm by Blizzard
I've taken on a commissioned scripting job and my client wants me to build the system upon several other already existing scripts. Sadly, that person didn't put the scripts in one project and made them all work. Nope. That person gave me only a bunch of demo projects. So I'm thinking "Alright, whatever. Not a big deal." I start opening up the projects and copying the scripts over. Suddenly I notice that one of the scripts uses the Script Destruction Kit. "Well, shit." is what goes through my mind. Then I find another and another. I figure, since there are several versions of these, the best thing would be to use the most up to date that I can find in those projects. It's SDK 2.3 with MACL 2.1. I notice some SDK 1.5 scripts and I already know that they will probably be problematic.

After copying them all over, I run the project. BAM! First crash. I check it out and it's the SDK. I fix it by removing the SDK check and restart. BAM! Another one. Again, an SDK check back from 1.5. That happens a few more times.
Finally I should be able to run the project. BAM! Another messy script that requires you to put the configuration into an external text file. I don't want to bother setting that one up so I comment it out. Running it again, BAM! Again the SDK. Once more. BAM again. SDK again. Finally I think that I got rid of the SDK problems and what happens? Materia script crashes (I could have sworn this one was SDK, too, but it wasn't). At that point I figured that I should give up rather than wasting hours of making all of this work. I'll talk to my client and see how we can change our agreement so that I make the requested scripts with loose hooks that can be filled in by somebody else later.

There you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

The Niche

Man...how much money are you being paid to do this crap?
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Blizzard

The SDK part wasn't initially going to be a problem. I didn't even know that I would have to work with SDK scripts that are not compatible between each other. ._.
I get paid $350 for making the scripts my client requested.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

The Niche

Glad to see you're not undercharging.
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

Ryex

would this person be requesting an alchemy system?
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Subsonic_Noise

$350 for rpg maker skripts? That's retarded. Somebody apparently doesn't have other things to do.
(Not saying your work isn't worth it, but the person who pays it is spending far too much for something like this)

Blizzard

I will not reveal any information about my client, but my personal impression is that (s)he isn't ever going to finish his/her game. I don't care about that, though. I'm paid to do my job. What happens to those scripts in the end isn't really of any concern to me (even though I would prefer that somebody used them actually).

The Niche

Ryex

agreed. but then, who are we to judge? strange thing is most scripts  I've found that use SDK aren't really using SDK they just have a SDK declaration at the beginning, remove it and it works normally. on the rare occasion that I've found a script that actually used new methods implemented by the SDK It was a some what tedious but simple matter to remove and replace them with proper code.  at least he isn't asking you to work with the Pokemon Essentials Starter Kit.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

Yeah, the Starter Kit was horror. ._.
True, most "SDK dependent" scripts don't actually depend on SDK. People just add the SDK log so they can feel cool because they are using the SDK. :facepalm:

The Niche

Nah, they do it because they put the scripts up on sites where the SDK team are mods. In other words, it's not actually their fault.

legacyblade

Wow. That sounds like a huge pain to work with. At least it's good money though, eh?

@Sub, Paying for RMXP scripts isn't TOO uncommon. And for a large script, that's a pretty average fee. Whether it's in RMXP or not, it still takes forever to write such things.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: legacyblade on February 16, 2011, 05:42:25 pm
Wow. That sounds like a huge pain to work with. At least it's good money though, eh?

@Sub, Paying for RMXP scripts isn't TOO uncommon. And for a large script, that's a pretty average fee. Whether it's in RMXP or not, it still takes forever to write such things.

It was not about the script, but I think RMXP in general isn't worh that money.

Blizzard

Depends on what you do. If you are making a well-thought-through commercial project (or more for that matter), it is very well worth the money. If you have been chasing shadows for over 3 years, it's not.

Apidcloud

and how do u know he will pay u when u're over with the scripts XD?
Instead of wanting to be somebody else, rather become somebody else

"I will treasure the knowledge like a squirrel treasures acorns."

Gibbo Glast 2D Engine - The sky is no longer a limit

Blizzard

February 16, 2011, 06:18:45 pm #15 Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 06:20:35 pm by Blizzard
No payment, no scripts. I have no use from keeping the scripts after I get my payment so obviously I will not give them the scripts until I get my money.

Except, of course, my client suddenly doesn't want to pay. In that case their scripts get publicly released and they can kiss their game goodbye because there will be enough clones out there by the time they finish it. In the end their game will be regarded as the clone.

EDIT: That would be good for you, though. You could get my improved RMXP window system. D:

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 06:10:00 pm
Depends on what you do. If you are making a well-thought-through commercial project (or more for that matter), it is very well worth the money. If you have been chasing shadows for over 3 years, it's not.

Point out one actually successful commercial RPG Maker game and I'll shut up.

Blizzard

February 17, 2011, 06:23:30 am #17 Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:26:46 am by Blizzard
Aveyond.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I overdid it. That's 3 games (excluding the 4th free game obviously).

EDIT: The massive irony here is that Aveyond wasn't even that thought-through or anything special. It was a mediocre game.

Subsonic_Noise

Alright, I promised I would shut up so I do.
I would never have paid money for that game, though. I can get secret of mana for that money.

Blizzard

February 17, 2011, 06:50:12 am #19 Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:54:50 am by Blizzard
The reason why there aren't so many commercial RMXP games is that mostly children use RMXP. Everybody who is actually serious about game development, uses other engines or makes their own.

I wouldn't pay for Aveyond either.