Hand drawn

Started by Kiwa, November 29, 2013, 10:05:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwa

Hey fellas.. i had a great idea to hand draw everything for my game. i spent some time drawing and coloring the classic RMXP char just to give it a shot.

So i drew what i needed by hand..scanned it.. cleaned it a bit with photoshop..then sized it correctly to fit the normal char set ....and ...it doesent look like i wanted it to.
maybe im no good with photoshop lol. (took me a long time to figure it out lol)

I decided to post it on here in case anyone wants to use any of it. its not bad just...its really light in color.

Heres the .JPG version of the large hand drawn copy after some clean up.
Spoiler: ShowHide

And here is the side by side with the normal sprite and my rezied one

PhoenixFire

That's actually really cool looking... I can certainly see a game made to look all like that =)
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Kiwa

Thanks lol. it was (in my mind) a great idea.

and i think it looks nice even tho its been shrunk by like ....2000% lol.

But i feel if i do the whole game this way its gonna be a hazy blurry mess.

I dunno what im doing in photoshop to fix it tho. (or if it can even happen.)

I'll probably toy with it some more at some point. i really want an original look and im far to impatient for pixel art.

but im tired and i work in the morning. lol.

Thanks again, it means a lot to me that its appreciated :P

Sase

Decrease the lightness and increase contrast and saturation and it will look less hazy. In my opinion you should draw battlers at best, drawing sprites AND their animations is just too much work.

WhiteRose

This looks really cool. Having it kind of light isn't too bad, as long as everything else is the same - it would give it a sort of air-y look.

Seltzer Cole

You could always try drawing things very bold so when you scan it, it will appear darker. You could always darken the image with photoshop but it may ruin its quality.

I personally think it looks awesome. If your entire game looked like that, it may just work and blend very well.
You know you play video games to much when you put sunglasses on and whisper "Plus 10 Appearance"

If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0

Shek

December 04, 2013, 01:46:54 am #6 Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 01:58:00 am by Shek
The lightness is a quick fix sir, here ya go:

Rich in color, happy style

Bolder Outlines, Bleaker color, more serious style

Also you may want to save your files as PNG.  When you save as JPEG the compression creates visual artifacts that are very noticeable when close up.

To achieve this, I used a combination of 3 tools in Photoshop:

Image -> Adjustments ->
                                    Brightness/Contrast...
                                     Curves...
                                     Vibrance...

Kiwa

@shek:

Thanks for working on them. but I meant the resized ones ended up being too pale. it felt a bit strange to me.
I do have PNG/ BMP/ JPG versions of all of them on my computer.
But when i shrink them to the tiny tiny tiny RMXP chars it looked so pale.

Shek

Couldn't get it much darker because the compression artifacts of JPEG started to come out of the white.

Seltzer Cole

Quote from: Shek on December 04, 2013, 12:10:56 pm

Couldn't get it much darker because the compression artifacts of JPEG started to come out of the white.

That looks really good. Two thumbs up  :naughty:
You know you play video games to much when you put sunglasses on and whisper "Plus 10 Appearance"

Kiwa

That looks really good actually...thanks shek lol.

ive already moded the game sprites to fit some of my needs after i felt this failed.
but you made it look real nice.

I give it to anyone to use. lol.

perhaps i'll use it later.. idk yet. im a wishy washy person at times :P

Seltzer Cole

Quote from: Kiwa on December 17, 2013, 10:56:13 am
That looks really good actually...thanks shek lol.

ive already moded the game sprites to fit some of my needs after i felt this failed.
but you made it look real nice.

I give it to anyone to use. lol.

perhaps i'll use it later.. idk yet. im a wishy washy person at times :P

Keep us updated. I want to see more!

:)