Transitioning from hobbyist to professional? [vb6]

Started by mroedesigns, January 05, 2011, 03:46:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mroedesigns

I've been programming in vb6 since I was young. I've done a lot of different types of work, and I'm very familiar with the language. However, since I taught myself at a young age, I overlooked things that I didn't need at the time and such. Recently I've been given the opportunity to work as a vb6 programmer / maintainer for a local company. What kinds of things do you suggest I touch up on and re-read?

Of course I'm going to be going over databasing, saving and loading files, directory hierarchy and that sort of thing. I just wanted some advice because I've never programmed on a professional level before.

Thanks!

Blizzard

January 05, 2011, 03:53:49 pm #1 Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 03:55:58 pm by Blizzard
If you already know that much, you most probably won't need much additional knowledge. For example: Unless you will have to write a server of some sort, you won't need socket programming knowledge. Just do your thing and when you get stuck, use Google to find the information that you need. The company gave you the job for the knowledge you already have (or should have), not for something you are yet going to learn. :)

I'd say that working with files, advanced data structures, algorithms, classes, visual controls and database access should be enough knowledge for the average programmer.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

mroedesigns

Quote from: Blizzard on January 05, 2011, 03:53:49 pm
If you already know that much, you most probably won't need much additional knowledge. For example: Unless you will have to write a server of some sort, you won't need socket programming knowledge. Just do your thing and when you get stuck, use Google to find the information that you need. The company gave you the job for the knowledge you already have (or should have), not for something you are yet going to learn. :)

I'd say that working with files, advanced data structures, algorithms, classes, visual controls and database access should be enough knowledge for the average programmer.

Awesome, thanks blizz :D