Dragon Fantasy II

Started by Ephiam, November 02, 2008, 12:11:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ephiam

November 02, 2008, 12:11:34 pm Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 11:30:58 pm by Starrodkirby86
Game Link: http://www.rpgmaker.net/games/430/

The Main Story:
It has been 100 years since the end of the first Dragon Fantasy. Veryl has been destroyed and the planet's original power has been restored. However, even the Crystal's could not destroy the power of the Dark Lord comletely. Instead, they destroyed the castle's outer shell and contained the vast power of Venaitura within a sphere of light.

But now...the skies once again are covered with a vast and expansive wave of darkness. The temple where the orb was contained had been breached and the power of Venaitura stolen! Using it's power, a fiend by the name of Emperor Xyan has opened a gateway to the Dark World and has called forth a plethora of demons to do his bidding.

You are the Hero's decendant. Having the blood of the legendary Hero who had defeated Veryl, the King of Zebon calls you and your allies to his chamber. He tells you of your duty, and thus you must embark on an epic quest in order to save your homelands from destruction once again!

Character Classes:

-Unlike in the first Dragon Fantasy where you had a pre-set party with specific classes, you are free to choose whomever you want your party to consist of from the beginning in this second installment. Your main character is ALWAYS the Hero class, but you may chose his/her gender and three other companions and their classes.-

The Hero
Info: The class that your main character is set as. He/she is named by you, and is also given a gender by you. The Hero is pretty well-rounded, and is able to cast a nice variety of Healing Spells, Damaging Spells, and Status Spells. His/Her stats are pretty even, and he/she does not fall short on many things.

The Knight
Bearing a strong ATK and DEF, the knight is the basic damage dealer. He can cast no magic, and has no MP, but he can dish out the damage against enemies using his physical attacks.  They bear high HP, but low INT.

The Mage
A class based soley around Black--or damaging--magics.  They learn the greatest ammount of Black Magic spells, and have
a high MP count.  They have a low DEF and ATK count, but make up for it in AGL and INT.

The Priest
The Priest is a class based around the art of White Magic; Magic which focuses on healing the wounded and curing the ill. They receive the greatest ammount of White Magic spells, and are also one of the fastest mages. They have a high MP, INT, and AGL count, but lack HP and DEF. A must have for any adventurer.

The Inflicter
Revolving mainly around inflicting hindering status-effects against the enemy, the Inflicter has no real abilities which directly
inflict any sort of damage. However, they have great AGL and MP, and learn boosting type spells earlier than any other class.

The Sage
Having access to both White and Black Magic spells, and bearing the highest INT count of all the mages, the Sage is a fairly diverse maigc user. However, it lacks a majority of the higher level spells from both areas, thus it must fall back on weaker spells as it makes progress. The sage has the highest INT and MP count, but lacks HP, AGL and DEF.

The Dark Knight
A fusion of both the Knight and Mage classes. The Dark Knight has access to a limited number of Black Magic spells,  but has a great ATK and DEF count. It is also one of the two fastest mage-type classes.

The Holy Knight
A fusion of both the Knight and Priest classes. The HolyKnight has access to a limited number of White Magic spells,  but has a great ATK and DEF count. It is also one of the two fastest mage-type classes.

The Berserker
A purely physcial-based class that has no mind of it's own.  Bearing the  absolute highest ATK count of all classes, the Berserker can break down some enemies in one fell swoop. They also bear a high HP count, but lack in DEF and AGL.

Screen Shots:

Spoiler: ShowHide

The Full Game:
http://files.filefront.com/Dragon+Fantasy+II+Completezip/;12671400;/fileinfo.html

Starrodkirby86

I'm interested in a Dragon Warrior remake/fan-game/engine-based sort of game like this, especially when it's made on RPG Maker. However, there seems to be no music at all, which somewhat contributes to a boring scene of playing, and one thing I dislike about the Dragon Warrior games is that it's very slow paced, the retro ones at least.

And for those certain screenshots with the messages, particularly the battle ones, you have a different font that resembles the Dragon Warrior font, how do you get that? I seem to have the regular RM2000-2003 font and not the one Don Miguel created too. @_@

The game is also filled with a bit of typos. I recommend correcting them. Some notable ones would be in the Sage description and some of the King's storytelling to you (At the beginning of the game).

Lastly, how do you save? The game never mentions that to me and I never really bothered to search so much because I remember in the old DW games you need to talk to the King in order to save, or talk to some Wizard behind a counter. XD

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Ephiam

What...!? No music? Well that's strange. I definitly have music in there, and it works for me. However, I've yet to find anyone else who has played the game to tell me if this problem exists for them, too. Is it really not there,  or is it just really low?  I dunno, I had a problem with low music when I first started. Bu then it somehow fixed it's self. =\

Ah yes! The font! The easiest thing to forget. I guess I'll have to give the font, too. Ha ha. I forgot to include it with the game. Sorry about that. I'll place a link for it at the bottom of this post.

Typos, hm? I knew I'd have a good few of those. It's just...so easy to miss them! I'll be making sure that I take a look for them, though.

Saving is done in a Church! Well...not really a church, but it's a church-like place with a Priest in there. There is one in the beginning town (Zebon); a bit to the North east when you enter.

And thank you for downloading! Here is the font:

http://files.filefront.com/Font+For+DFzip/;12231653;/fileinfo.html

Galatea

This type of game is a very rare kind.
I admire you for that!

*Downloading*

Game Comments later.  :^_^':

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Ephiam on November 02, 2008, 02:44:44 pm
What...!? No music? Well that's strange. I definitly have music in there, and it works for me. However, I've yet to find anyone else who has played the game to tell me if this problem exists for them, too. Is it really not there,  or is it just really low?  I dunno, I had a problem with low music when I first started. Bu then it somehow fixed it's self. =\

No, the music was a problem on my part. My apologies, the SW Synth wasn't on... I swear it was on though...Eh, oh well.

Overall, it's a nice game, I'll look around to it downloading the font and etc., thanks for responding to my questions. :3

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!

Ephiam

Ha ha! Then I'm glad that it wasn't a bug in the game or something along those lines! That'd be real problematic for me.

And please let me know what you thought of the game once you've gotten around to playing it! That goes to everyone! I'm hard pressed to find any comments. people come in and say they'll come back...but they don't. ;_;

G_G

WOW!! I've played a little bit and its really fun! Good job!

Diokatsu

Quite neat and I had fun playing this! :3 I look forward to your future works.

Ephiam

Thank you, everyone! But I now come with even greatet news! (Er...for me, anyway. Don't know about you people. I just hope that it's good news for a FEW people out there!)

Dragon Fantasy II has been officially completed. My second finished game! I never thought that I'd do it. I'll go ahead and update the starting post now with the link to the full thing.

Starrodkirby86

Wow, congratulations. One of the few games that have been completed. I applaud you for that. :)

I may review this once I have time, so in the meantime what I recommend you should do is try and perfect the whole game up; see what areas are needing work (Like maybe fix typos or something).

winkio

just wondering, about how long is one play-through of the full version?  Because if it's short enough, I'll do it and write a review. :)

Ephiam

How long, eh? Well...if I had to take a rough guess, I'd say over 10 Hours. So it's fairly long. For an RPG Maker game, that is. It may even go beyond 15 Hours, but I don't think it goes that high. But then again...I said the same for Dragon Fantasy 1, and a member on another forum took about 25~ Hours to complete it. So I guess it's shorter for me because I know where everything is and all of that. But this is definitly longer than the first game, if that helps any.

Ephiam

I have to warn you all about a small bug in the game. it's not really a bug, but more of an...idiotic error on my part. You can avoid it, download the new one I'm putting up, or go into the editor and fix it yourself.

-If you have RPG Maker 2000 and can open the game using the editor, go down and find the "Snoplat Rest Area" map under "World Map" and go into the "Church" portion of it. There is an event leading up to the priest where you will be teleported to the next dungeons boss if you step on it. If you take the even away, all should be good!

-If you don't download it, or fix it yourself...stay clear! That, or be very prepared! Note that you will not be able to save in Snoplat, and that if you die against the boss (one of the harder ones), then you'll have to walk all the way back up there from the desert.

So...that's it! Now I'm just gonna go and replace the old download.

Sorry, everyone! Snoplat was the only place I didn't look. ;_;

EDIT: Tis up now. Also, if you do download the new one, just take the save file from the project folder of DFII and paste it in the new one. Voila! You don't have to start a new game or anything!

Sally

SoulZephyr766