Shalaren Chapter 1

Started by Shalaren, August 23, 2013, 12:59:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Shalaren

August 23, 2013, 12:59:54 pm Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 08:34:06 pm by Shalaren

There are many versions of how this story goes, and honestly - it seems every race came up with their own little bit in it. All the versions however, have the two twin gods Ayen and Allisa, who were too young to go on creating their own world, and thus they created one together. Unfortunately they failed to create life in it, and because of that, there was nothing... and yet so much room for everything. They tried countless times, until all these attemps caused the elements to pour into the world and bring life to the spirits of nature. It wasn't long before the world grew, creating life to many species as the world became the ultimate paradise, making the two gods very proud. Ayen felt the world needed civilization and this created the Nethien, an intelligent race to help the world grow, however Allisa felt the Nethien might harm the balance and thus created the Guardians of Nature, also known as fearies. The two argued over the world's fate and were right as the two races were in war for 300 years bringing the world to endless chaos, and the twin gods decided to create the Syrilth, a race designed to understand both and share the qualities of everyone. at first the gods's plans worked as friendship blossmed around the world of shalaren as the Syrilth helped conncet the two, but it wasn't long before the syrilth learned of their superiority - to be edited 

winkio

Sounds ambitious!  Definitely looking forward to the demo!  Are you planning on having a voice actor, or some sort of narrator character to deliver the story?  Because it seems like it is written for that.

Shalaren

I thought about it! I was thinking of making an intro with voices and pictures, telling the story. But that's A LOT to do right now :P maybe ill add it on later, (it would be pretty sweet though).
Right now I'm stuck on editing some of the tile sets, and then when I'm done, mapping takes me some time too... But I hope I can release a short demo soon! (At least of the beginning bit)

Thanks for reading btw! :)

WhiteRose

I'm really looking forward to trying out the demo. This looks great! I'll keep an eye on it and give it a try as soon as you have the demo up. Will the player be able to choose their own race?

Shalaren

Not at the moment, I might make it so you can someday, but right now trying to get through making the first bit if the gameplay. I'm scared it would just over complicate things story wise and would take too much time, and I want to have a demo soon so more people will be interested :3 (unfortunately I work a lot and am moving at the moment, so I don't get too much time ATM)

KK20

oooh, another project to watch. Definitely much more professional than your typical RM game. I'll always support you with script requests or troubleshooting.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Shalaren

August 28, 2013, 01:37:49 am #6 Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 04:44:56 am by Shalaren
Thanks KK20 ^^ Your name appears more then once in the credits  :naughty:
no but really, I'm glad I have your support, IMO you are excellent in scripting.

OK so I finished the beginning of the game.
Like in the picture above (cave) you will start in a dark cave, and can't remember how you got there. you find out that you were taken by crazed Aryhans who are experimenting on Mundanes, and with the help of Cathy and Artras you attempt to escape. This part will mostly guide you through the basics of the game (Controls, Scenes, and some other systems).
It'll sort of be like that

But before I can release a demo to try this out, I need to finish the character creation part... which I am having some trouble with, regardless... what do you guys think? What should I improve or change?
(Don't mind the random sprites! I was trying different sizes out!)
Spoiler: ShowHide

but in the end it should look like this.

KK20

More than once is better than only once

I'm particularly picky when it comes to clashing fonts. You have this pixel-based font all over the screen and then this obnoxiously big, not even pixel-ly font at the bottom (I don't know my font terminology). Also, from what I'm seeing, are all the choices made at the bottom, like if you were using the event command 'Show Choices'? It'd look much nicer if you could make a cursor highlight over the options and press left/right to cycle through the choices (or make left/right arrows and use the mouse).

Other Projects

Shalaren

August 29, 2013, 12:01:47 am #8 Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:40:21 pm by Shalaren
Yes, I am trying to event a character creation screen since I figured scripting it would be too complicated.

KK20

It's Input::Down :P

Yes, I do like that picture a lot more. :)

Other Projects

Shalaren

Here is some screenshots of stuff I finished

Here is the character creation and its progress so far :)

if you noticed the background moves.

and the final hud

WhiteRose

Quote from: Shalaren on September 02, 2013, 02:10:58 pm
Here is some screenshots of stuff I finished

Here is the character creation and its progress so far :)

if you noticed the background moves.

and the final hud

Looks awesome! :D

Although... I did notice that the female character is missing her top. Obviously, it's a sprite, so it's not like it's going to make anyone feel uncomfortable, but you still might want to put something there.

PhoenixFire

I like it!

I really don't have much more feedback for you on the update. I like the looks of it, and I agree a little with WR about the female sprite bit. Maybe just make simple male/female generic like the RTP sprites they're calling prisoner1/prisoner2? I dunno... Just a thought..
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Shalaren

Praelium

Looks good!
Interesting project!

KK20

Is that a lengthy cut-scene (maybe more than a minute)? I'm kinda a fan of not seeing the HUD when a story is being played to me.
But it still looks really nice!

Other Projects

Shalaren

Quote from: KK20 on September 20, 2013, 03:19:57 pm
Is that a lengthy cut-scene (maybe more than a minute)? I'm kinda a fan of not seeing the HUD when a story is being played to me.
But it still looks really nice!

it's about 30 seconds xD, but yeah I think it would look better with hiding the hud and maybe adding the black bars on both top and bottom to give it a cinematic effect.

Shalaren

Just letting those who care know I didn't quit this Idea I just decided I want to work on it with RMVX ace.
reason being is I decided to make it with a more... of a lazy graphic style art made in photoshop and using parallax mapping.
here are some screenshots:

(how weird do you find these? haha)

as you can see it looks very simple, (it was super fun to make) but this way I find I can have all the resources I need.
(I find that I always give up on a game usually is because I can't find all the resources I need)

KK20

So does that mean everything you have shown us so far has pretty much been scrapped?
Now I'm not in the credits anymore D:

Pretty adventurous design you have going on there. I'll need to see more of it in action though before I can really get the feel for it.

Other Projects

Zexion

Quote from: Shalaren on January 08, 2014, 08:13:00 pm
(I find that I always give up on a game usually is because I can't find all the resources I need)

I completely understand this.

Your art looks amazing. It might be simple but the maps are a big step away from the grid and can really bring a unique feel to the game's atmosphere. The only things I don't like are the charsets. They look too pixelish, as if they were done with the pencil tool, while the rest of the game looks as if it was done with a paintbrush. It might just be because you have some weird pallets going on. Hope to see more :D