I DIVIDED BY ZERO!

Started by GAX, March 04, 2008, 09:49:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GAX

Rule 2: ShowHide
Quote from: Rule No.2Keep your signatures at reasonable size. The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB and take up an area of 1600px2. That means 2 pictures of 400x200 are fine, one picture of 800x200 is fine and so on. Also your pictures height must not exceed 200 pixels, width can be as big as you want as long as your pictures match the other criteria. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

Starrodkirby86

There was this person in Pre-Algebra (I'm in Middle School, okay? But I'm a Geometry kidder in the 8th Grade), and he was a Seventh Grader. I looked at his paper and I saw he knew how to divide by zero!!! :O

Apparently, it was like this:

3/1 - 2/1 = 1/0 = 1

I didn't know that! Now we know how Zero goes!!! :O :O :O

I'm flabbergasted! Bamboozled!

And I remember a Youtube video stating that too.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

GAX

wtf?

um...3/1 - 2/1 = 1/1 = 1

Hmmm...shall I divide Zero by Zero?

Quote from: Rule No.2Keep your signatures at reasonable size. The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB and take up an area of 1600px2. That means 2 pictures of 400x200 are fine, one picture of 800x200 is fine and so on. Also your pictures height must not exceed 200 pixels, width can be as big as you want as long as your pictures match the other criteria. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

fugibo

Think about it.

100/0

0 + 0 = 0. Not 100. So go again.
0 + 0 = 0. Not 100. So go again.

It'll keep on like that for infinity. So logically, anything/0 = Infinity.

Starrodkirby86

No, that was sarcasm. I guess that the :V smiley should've been used. Oh well. It was a funny moment since the person did not know to subtract fractions, yet it's also a sad moment too. I don't how sad, but oh well. He's going to have future troubles in Arithmetics now.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!

GAX

Well, dividing by Zero isn't infinity, it's undefined...

legacyblade

something divided by zero can be anything...think about it. Do some long devision with a zero...it's been awhile since I had that lesson, so I might be thinking of 0 / 0, but you CANNOT divide by 0...that guy in math class is screwing with your head.

Starrodkirby86

No, he had trouble in math already, he's in a lower class than me, and I was just showing it off glamourizing it when in actuality it's just a silly mistake. He also added the denominator instead of making them common.

Blizzard

March 05, 2008, 02:44:24 am #8 Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 02:49:01 am by Blizzard
Well, if you use limits, you can actually divide zero by zero.

limn->0 n/n = 1

*moves topic*

EDIT: I think the coolest thing is this limit:

limn->oo 1n = e

Even though everybody would say that 1 power infinity would be one again, it's e. That's because the original assumption is actually

limn->oo (1+1/n)n = e

This formula can be mathematically proved.

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

fugibo

But 0 goes into anything infinite times, dangit!!!

Fantasist

March 05, 2008, 11:10:38 am #10 Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 11:11:14 am by Fantasist
Not infinite times. It fails to divide (or add) the first time. imo, it doesn't go infinite times. And yeah, I was going to state limits too, but Bliz, what you said is interesting. 1 power infinity tends to e, I just can't picture that (not that anyone can really picture infinity :/)

The mystery of 0s and infinity, such a sweet experience to the mind. I discussed about this with my friend for about 2 hours without a break and we were still not finished. But we didn't fight with math formulae, we just discussed infinity and 0.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Blizzard

It's like this:

limn->1 (1+1/n)n = 2
limn->2 (1+1/n)n = 2.25
limn->3 (1+1/n)n = 2.37
limn->4 (1+1/n)n = 2.44
limn->5 (1+1/n)n = 2.49

Now, if n is infinite and 1/n zero, then (1+1/n)n and 1n are equivalent as 1/n is zero. But as you can see how n in the limit increases, the number draws closer and closer to e. It is equal to e if n is infinite.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Fantasist

Hm... interesting, thanks for explaining it Bliz ^_^
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Blizzard

We learned that proof in 1st or 2nd semester, can't remember. I think it's pretty interesting. I remember my prof telling us somebody's quote. It was something like "There is nothing that was so fascinating for the human mind as infinity."

Phasedscar

I was about to say "I know there's a way to divide by zero.

Unfortunately I took algebra in a USA high school.  Need I say more?
Spoiler: ShowHide
My own game project & My resource workshop! (respectively)
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=608.0 http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=682.0

What that is? Affection area for flails. - Blizz-ABS, the ultimate ABS

The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB. The height must not exceed 200 px and the width must not exceed 800 px. Altogether they may take up an area of 160000 px2. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

Blizzard

That means that you know there is a way, but you don't know it? xD

Phasedscar

lol pretty much.

I'm not bad at math, I just don't care for it so I never really studied it hard.
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=608.0 http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=682.0

The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB. The height must not exceed 200 px and the width must not exceed 800 px. Altogether they may take up an area of 160000 px2. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

Blizzard

In college you have to study it whether you like it or not. >.< I'm not at a math college, but computing science still requires a lot of math.

Phasedscar

I just haven't taken the math class for that yet.

You need a lot of math geometric art like 3D animation (which is my major) and I'm minoring in Art, but it doesn't require anything higher then basic algebra and geometry.

Blizzard

That's true, it requires some geometry. It's very similar with 2D graphics. It's rather basic coordinate calculation, but if you want some extra stuff like circles, elipses and more advanced stuff instead of just squares and rectangles, you do need some knowledge with trigonometric functions and calculations. You will eventually realize that you know the basic trigonometric transformation table (sin, cos, tan, ctg) from memory because you often work with it.