Animated or not and how long

Started by Memor-X, October 10, 2008, 09:04:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Memor-X

please move if this is in the wrong board

now that i am learning the final skill to get the flash animation series finished, however, something crossed my mind when i was working on the first episode

because me and my partner are the only ones working on this series, there's no speech, so we use text, however, i want to know from people here, when a speech bubble shows up in an animation, would you rather it just appear or fade in and out (fade in, stay for a while then fade out)

and also, i need to know how long it would take for people to read this line

???: i was used by my family for their sick game, used to try and diliver the world to them and used to forfill their lust, but he was the only one who cared

if i can find out the adverage reading time for this sentance, i can work out how long i should have the text appear for people to read it

Diokatsu

October 10, 2008, 09:11:41 pm #1 Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 09:13:10 pm by Diokatsu
I'll ahhhh...spell check that for you At the least....

Quote???: I was used by my family for their sick game, used to try and deliver the world to them and used to fufill their lust, but he was the only one who cared.

Took me like 2 secs if I actually read it which is doubtful as I'm quite a hater of dialogue xD

If this is an RPG Maker game then it might go in the general RPG Maker forum, but I'd look for a forum that has questions....Maybe a thought to add one?

Starrodkirby86

Dio, he's working on a Flash Animation. You know, the stuff you see on Newgrounds. :P

Well, some of the more famous Flash Animations I remember that use talking bubbles had the duration of the voice of the character. That's usually longer than the average reading time of the user, or the equivalent of.

You should do a fading effect. You can always go for a quick fading effect or something. Having a sudden cut looks too choppy and may down the whole quality of the flash. You should use a sudden cut only if it'll fit the flash more than fading...You can always use some other transition too, but that may cost more labor on you. XD

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Memor-X

it doesn't cost me a thing for labor, my partner Div does it for free cause we're childhood friends plus i can't make any profit from this series cause it's a fan made one, Megaman Battle Guardian (Hunters of Memory is based from the first season) so since i can't make a profit from it, i can pay for labor anyway

Starrodkirby86

I didn't mean cost as anything financially, if that's what was your thought. I actually meant it as you may have to do more work and more effort has to be put onto it. But meh, potato potato, same thing.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!

legacyblade

I'd say see how long it takes to read it aloud, and then make it last a second or two longer than that.

Memor-X

that's what i normaly do, it's just hard sometimes to do it because some points where the text shows up, it's in the middle of a battle. and when i type the text up, i tend to read it a bit quicker as it's fadeing away

Starrodkirby86

Simply give a few times right now and see how they are like. Once you show a test version or something to a few people and if they complain about the time limit of the speech bubbles, you can modify and perfect it. That is a surefire way to work if you have a lot of willing friends. :)

Memor-X

thanks, now if i can get this preloader to work i'll be bale to get the first episode up and the section of my site that will have the flash series on

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Memor-X on October 20, 2008, 09:17:12 pm
thanks, now if i can get this preloader to work i'll be bale to get the first episode up and the section of my site that will have the flash series on
Just download the Newgrounds preloader and modify bits of it. XD That preloader is perfect if you paste that on Frame 1...:P

Of course, that's just a mere suggestion. I hope that the series will be great looking. :D Can't wait.

Memor-X

WHAT! NEWGROUNDS HAD ONE FOR DOWNLOAD AND BE MODIFIED *uses's the class rooms' stress kit*, here i have been watching a youtube video about making one like an idiot when i could have just done what you said