[XP] The Dimension Adventures

Started by lonely_cubone, April 29, 2010, 10:36:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Shining Riku

Alrighty, I brightened his limbs so they wouldn't be so dark.

I think it's enough, but just in case if it isn't I'll have it right the next time for sure.
I'll also have that pickle done soon too.

Just a few questions, Does he use his pickle as a sword, spear, boomerang, or what? XD It'll help me get his attack position right  :D Also, what type of stance does he take while defending and if you could describe how he runs as well (if he has a unique way of doing it) it would help me out so much!  :haha:

Now that I have the coloring and everything down pat, doing the rest of his stances should be easy now

Subsonic_Noise

...Am I allowed to give constructive criticism here?

Shining Riku

May 13, 2010, 08:56:04 pm #62 Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 09:11:32 pm by Shining Riku
Yes.

What'd I mess up?

EDIT: I would like to know what you have in mind :< I do wnat to be better as a spriter but I'm pretty sure I said before i'm no pro at spriting

Subsonic_Noise

Nah, you didn't mess up. I just want to help you improve this ^^
First off, I would desaturate the colour a bit. Cubone seemed to wanted it like this, but the colour right now looks unnatural and hurts my eyes a bit. So I'd suggest to desaturate it and make it a very little bit darker. You might want to experiment with this a bit.
The second problem is, it looks a bit boring. I have multiple suggestions to fix that. First, you might try changing his pose a bit, maybe make him have a bit of a hunchback (try around with it - it might look good) then, play with the shading and get rid of that pillow-style - it's generally a thing to avoid.
Then, perhaps add some darker features or blend the single blobs into each other to make them look less separated. Last but not least, try making the head less like a perfect circle (again, you'd need to experiment here) and try what it looks like when you move the eyes down one pixel.

That's all I can think of now. It's 3am after all.

lonely_cubone

Thanks Subsonic_Noise, I agree with most of what you said. However, I do want his head to be a perfect circle. Riku, everything else he said is a good idea. Also, the limbs are still a tiny bit too dark.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: lonely_cubone on May 14, 2010, 08:40:48 am
However, I do want his head to be a perfect circle. 

Think about perspective. It's not direct front view, isn't it?

lonely_cubone

May 14, 2010, 09:08:13 am #66 Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 10:35:43 am by lonely_cubone
His head's a sphere. No matter how you look at a sphere, it'll be a circle. I do realize that most people's heads are not spheres, but the Little Humphis' head is.

King_Ooga_TonTon

Wow, this is awesome. Good to see Cube's project coming together so nicely. Makes me want to start up my own!  :naughty:

lonely_cubone

Thanks TonTon! You should put one of your games up here. I'm sure you've got at least one that you've been working on enough to make a topic. :)

By the way people, I'm going away for a week, starting tomorrow morning, and I'll be on a boat on the ocean (so no internet, obviously). So don't expect any updates until I get back on Friday. I know there are people who've been waiting for a demo, and I apologize to them, since the demo won't be done by then. :(

The Niche

CUrse you Cube! Curse you and your maritime adventures! And don't forget your packed lunch!
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

lonely_cubone

I'm back everyone! I'll be working on this quite a bit this weekend, so I should have the demo up soon (really this time).

Shining Riku

Hey there Cube! Good to see you're back

need me to do any spriting at the moment?

lonely_cubone

For now, just the fully finished Little Humphis. After that, do you think you could help me with some sprites for another game?

SBR*

Quote from: lonely_cubone on May 22, 2010, 03:24:53 pm
For now, just the fully finished Little Humphis. After that, do you think you could help me with some sprites for another game?

No, he has to work on the tutorials first, RIGHT RIKU  >:(?!

The Niche

AND BOXSAW!!!  :D Where've you been, Riku?
Cubone, how's progress going?
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

Shining Riku

Ok, so close to being finished! (with The Little Humphis)

My last questions about him are:

1#: What hand does he hold his pickle in?

2# Should Le Pickle dangle towards the ground or be held up kinda like a knife?

@Niche: I'm sorry @_@ I've been slacking and I should be shot ded. Well, not slacking on my game but anyways...
@SBR*: I'll put some more thought into my tutorials while i'm doing my catch-up work here. I'm really fast at whipping up events, so my tutorial will be done pretty fast once I've got all my ideas down for what to teach people.
@Cubone: Sure, what game do you need me to work on? is there a topic to link me to?

The Niche

Quote from: Shining Riku on May 22, 2010, 08:42:16 pm
Ok, so close to being finished! (with The Little Humphis)

My last questions about him are:

1#: What hand does he hold his pickle in?

2# Should Le Pickle dangle towards the ground or be held up kinda like a knife?

@Niche: I'm sorry @_@ I've been slacking and I should be shot ded. Well, not slacking on my game but anyways...
@SBR*: I'll put some more thought into my tutorials while i'm doing my catch-up work here. I'm really fast at whipping up events, so my tutorial will be done pretty fast once I've got all my ideas down for what to teach people.
@Cubone: Sure, what game do you need me to work on? is there a topic to link me to?

Dangling pickle? You sir, just got levelled!!

lonely_cubone

May 23, 2010, 09:36:25 am #77 Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:55:27 am by lonely_cubone
I'm kind of having trouble getting the battles to feel right. If you just stand beside an enemy and mash the attack button, nothing can hit you unless there's a big group, and then it's really easy to kill everything. I know Blizz-ABS has great AI capabilities, but I don't know what I should do to get rid of this button-mashing battling.

@Riku: The Little Humphis does not have a dangling pickle, he holds it like a knife, in his left hand. And I haven't made a topic for the other game yet, I'm not even a quarter of the way through planning it, but I'll probably need your help with it eventually. And it will involve some slightly bigger character sprites (like around 128*128ish per frame). Is that too big?

Shining Riku

May 23, 2010, 11:57:22 am #78 Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 12:25:41 pm by Shining Riku
Sorry about the dangling pickle thing. Why is it everybody misinterprets what I say? ^.^U I'm serious cannon fodder for those kinds of comments XD

I've done much bigger than 128x128 and done fine Cube, so no problem there! :D I'll post a finished pic of Humphis very soon ^_^

EDIT:

Here he is. Um..I tested it and his up/down walking sprites looked strange cuz of how he was holding the pickle and all, but what do you think? :huh:

The Niche

If it gets you levelled, why bother?
And that looks nice. But also crazy. Well done, Riku.