[XP] The Dimension Adventures

Started by lonely_cubone, April 29, 2010, 10:36:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Niche

Um...
HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET OUT OF THE JAIL CELL?!

...Awesome powers don't appear to be functioning correctly. Or at all. I shall play Lexima some more!
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

lonely_cubone

Quote from: The Niche on June 02, 2010, 01:59:31 pm
Um...
HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET OUT OF THE JAIL CELL?!

...Awesome powers don't appear to be functioning correctly. Or at all. I shall play Lexima some more!

If you want to figure this out by yourself (it is tricky), then don't look at this.
Spoiler: ShowHide
There's a tunnel hidden in the bottom left corner of the cell. I know, I could have made it more obvious. There is technically a hint, but it's just as hard to find as the tunnel. I'll add another one so the players don't all get stuck right at the beginning of the game.

The Niche

I feel deflated. For a hint, you could try pointing him in that direction, maybe even taking a step that way. Or, if you wanted it to be an easy puzzle, you could have a rat scurry out of there once in a while. Sorry, that's not actually that obvious. Have him say something like, I get the feeling there's a tunnel here. Then have the rat come out (on autorun) so that he player has to notice. Then have the ra run away or something.
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

lonely_cubone

What I currently have as a hint is a note written on the wall, telling him to "look south for a way out". I could just say something like "Hey pickle, there's something written on the wall over there!" so the player finds it, and then it's easy to find the tunnel.

Oh, and nobody's commented on my music, which I wrote myself? What do you think, guys? Great? Physically painful to listen to?

Shining Riku

Lol sorry about not commenting on the music XD it slipped my mind  :shy:

For some reason the music it plays right at the beginning of the game makes me wanna laugh. It's really funny stuff. I think it's the Grasshopper Hills music?

I think it fits the game great, the music. Excellent work! I can think up music, but getting it to work is a whole 'nother story.

Also, random comment, I looked at the blizz abs manual and I think I figured out how you got the enemies to run away when you use the song, lol

lonely_cubone

Quote from: Shining Riku on June 02, 2010, 08:14:51 pm
Lol sorry about not commenting on the music XD it slipped my mind  :shy:

For some reason the music it plays right at the beginning of the game makes me wanna laugh. It's really funny stuff. I think it's the Grasshopper Hills music?

I think it fits the game great, the music. Excellent work! I can think up music, but getting it to work is a whole 'nother story.

Also, random comment, I looked at the blizz abs manual and I think I figured out how you got the enemies to run away when you use the song, lol

Thanks! I was worried people wouldn't like it, since I don't actually have any formal music theory training, and I just kinda made random stuff until it sounded okay. I also did some stuff that was kinda unusual, like writing the Dark Jail music in 9/8 time, and I didn't know how it would sound to non-prejudiced ears. And yes, that music is the Grasshooper Hills (not Grasshopper, they're completely different animals) music. That specific music only plays when you go there at the beginning, but when you go back later, there's a slightly more serious-sounding version of it.

Yeah, it wasn't too hard, it's just forcing an action on all enemies with a status, which I gave them with the skill, and then getting rid of the status.

Shining Riku

If it's alright with you i'd love to see how the event code looks, it might help me think of a few tricks of my own in the future lol. I'm the sort that needs to see stuff to understand it, i'm the 100% hands-on experience sorta person. I learn best that way :p

Random: Anybody here played a game called Chrono Trigger?

Magus

I have to say there are some concepts I like about this game and there are some concepts I do not like about it. Also, is it me, or do I make my games too easy? Because when I fought that chest, (which I lost.. and was so pissed that clicked the file off) he was damaging me too heavy. Sitting there and defending all day isn't much of an option meh :/

I'm kinda thankful that I did my boss methods a lot different. And using teleportation (don't ask, it is possible xD)
LEVEL ME DOWN. THE ANTI-BLIZZ GROUP IS AMONG YOU... Do it for the chick below...She watches..<br />

lonely_cubone

Quote from: Magus on June 03, 2010, 01:27:22 am
I have to say there are some concepts I like about this game and there are some concepts I do not like about it. Also, is it me, or do I make my games too easy? Because when I fought that chest, (which I lost.. and was so pissed that clicked the file off) he was damaging me too heavy. Sitting there and defending all day isn't much of an option meh :/

I'm kinda thankful that I did my boss methods a lot different. And using teleportation (don't ask, it is possible xD)

First of all, you're not supposed to be able to beat the chest. The reason it's there is to make the player think a little more carefully before just running around a big empty room opening chests. Second of all, what do you mean you did your boss methods different? I'm sure it is possible to make teleporting enemies, I just don't have the patience to figure it out.

Shining Riku

Lol the last file I started I was gonna dedicate it to whupping the chest  :P

But then I forgot and finished the demo ^_^

Didn't know he was unbeatable lol @_@

lonely_cubone

Quote from: Shining Riku on June 03, 2010, 12:01:19 pm
Lol the last file I started I was gonna dedicate it to whupping the chest  :P

But then I forgot and finished the demo ^_^

Didn't know he was unbeatable lol @_@

Technically you can beat the Chest Alive, but you'd have to be around level 7. To get to level 7, you would have to kill 206 guards (in addition to 2 elite guards, the Shade Walker, and Valerai). So it's possible, but you don't actually get anything from it yet. What I will eventually do is make it so you get an item, usually to start a quest, from beating one, and there will be one in every dimension. They'll get progressively more powerful, making them always a challenge, even at the end.

Shining Riku

That sounds awesome ^_^ I like the idea!

lonely_cubone

Quote from: Shining Riku on June 03, 2010, 07:19:03 pm
That sounds awesome ^_^ I like the idea!

Thanks! I actually have lots of stuff like that, where there's one of it in each dimension, and collecting them all gives you a really useful item, service, or something like that.

Quote from: lonely_cubone on June 02, 2010, 08:44:29 am
Hey mods, do you think this is ready to get moved out of the New Projects section?

^that, again :P

The Niche

I think it is, and so does most people who aren't mods (I think). Seriously, well, well, well,....you get the picture, done! I love the title screen too.

Suggestion, might be a lot of work but change the windowskin every dimension? Also, the maps need defining to clearly indicate the entrances and exits. Otherwise players will say "fuck the brilliant storyline, beautiful graphics and gorgeous music, this game's functionality is retarded!"

I can help you out with more maps if you want.

Shining Riku

I have a poison mist window skin I made from Blizz's windowskins  :O.o: Dunno if I can rightly offer it for use but I can make window skins too

BTW Congrats on the move to the projects section!  :D

lonely_cubone

June 03, 2010, 10:45:48 pm #135 Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 11:13:00 pm by lonely_cubone
Quote from: The Niche on June 03, 2010, 08:35:43 pm
I think it is, and so does most people who aren't mods (I think). Seriously, well, well, well,....you get the picture, done! I love the title screen too.

Suggestion, might be a lot of work but change the windowskin every dimension? Also, the maps need defining to clearly indicate the entrances and exits. Otherwise players will say "fuck the brilliant storyline, beautiful graphics and gorgeous music, this game's functionality is retarded!"

I can help you out with more maps if you want.

I think I can more clearly indicate the map exits. In places where it makes sense, I can use signs, and in other places I can use other stuff. And I probably could change the windowskin in each dimension, but I don't know if Riku will be able to make 18 completely different skins that look good (no offense :D).

Quote from: Shining Riku on June 03, 2010, 10:30:25 pm
I have a poison mist window skin I made from Blizz's windowskins  :O.o: Dunno if I can rightly offer it for use but I can make window skins too

BTW Congrats on the move to the projects section!  :D

Thanks! And thanks Winkio, for moving it! :haha:
I think I'll be okay on windowskins for now. How are the other sprites coming though?

Shining Riku

I've been busy as heck ambitiously spriting Frog from Chrono Trigger, seeing as he's a playable character in my R U INSANE game... Thankfully i'm finished for now. I'm real proud of my work this time, and the experience I just gained from spriting him will REALLY put me ahead now when making sprites for you :D

Unfortunately this means I haven't progressed any with the requests, but now that i'm done with Frog I'll get right to your stuff

Two of my sheets: Frog walking and Running
Spoiler: ShowHide

Now that i'm done showing off, i'll begin with The Little Humphis' defend sprites since those will be done the fastest

lonely_cubone

That's fine, your project is obviously going to have precedence over mine. And that sprite is awesome! I haven't actually played Chrono Trigger, but I want to eventually.

Shining Riku

Chrono Trigger is a really good game ^_^ I can vouch for it.

and thanks for teh compliment! :D
I did a few more sheets of Frog defending, attacking, and casting spells but there wasn't any point in cluttering your project topic :(

lonely_cubone

Quote from: Shining Riku on June 04, 2010, 12:14:19 pm
Chrono Trigger is a really good game ^_^ I can vouch for it.

and thanks for teh compliment! :D
I did a few more sheets of Frog defending, attacking, and casting spells but there wasn't any point in cluttering your project topic :(

Well, I'll end up seeing them in your game eventually, so that's okay. I'm sure they're just as good, though. That jumping one is really well animated.