[XP] RMXPAce -- Using the VX Ace engine in your XP games

Started by KK20, February 17, 2013, 04:38:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Moshan

Thanks for helping me again, PhoenixFire!

I've managed to get it working somehow. Now I'm struggling to make it compatible with all my scripts.

I really appreciate your replies!

PhoenixFire

All I could find in the way of archives was a copy of the main/home page.. I did not do an exhaustive search of every link, but it looks like it was never really properly archived. The links I did check were all dead in the water, no archive. Lemme see if I can find that link for ya.

Here ya go:  The Wayback Machine Archive
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Spaceman McConaughey

Alright, if anyone actually knows the solution to this:

Can you please share instead of keeping it to yourself? kthanks

EDIT:
Since figured it out.
But this shit is so incompatible with shit that the shit ain't worth shitting yourself over.

PhoenixFire

So I have a more permanent home for the link to this: http://gamers-archive.com/wp-content/file-uploads/resources/RMXP%20Upgrade%20Kit[Unofficial%20XPAce%20Upgrade%20Kit].rar

Had to fix the link because BBCode doesn't like nested brackets  :P
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

bigace

Quote from: bigace on June 01, 2014, 01:58:58 am
I'm having trouble getting this to go straight to the Internet with this code:
Lambda {Thread.new {system ("start #{http://www.chaos-project.com}")}}

Instead of going to the address I put in there it just restarts the game as if I pressed F12. This code works in rmvxace fine and if you take away the Lambda {} in rmxp the code works fine as well.

But in RMXPACE if:

• you remove the Lambda { } you get a error and;

• adding it restarts the game as if you pressed F12

Quote from: bigace on June 01, 2014, 07:46:26 pm
Ya I already stated that it works fine in xp and vxace, if what I said was confusing to read I apologize, I was using phone to type. It just doesn't work in XPACE. I also try what you said and I get an error.

I guess no one has the fix to this? :(

Use Dropbox to upload your files. Much simpler than other upload sites, you can simply place a folder on your desktop that will sync with your DropBox account.

KK20

I don't even know how you guys have this working on XP and Ace. I'm just getting shot down with unexpected tLABEL.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

PhoenixFire

Okay, as promised before, here's a link to a working demo of the XPAce engine.

A few notes:

• If you use the Steam version of XP: You will have to edit the ini file every time you save the game after editing; for some reason, they decided it was necessary to have the editor overwrite the ini config file every time you save changes.

• I've included RTP resources from the XP RTP, as well as some customized versions of the character battlers, and, som eof the resources in Heretics' Collection of Art and Scripts. You should either switch these out to what you would like, or, give due credit to them

• If you do end up using this demo as a base for your game, please make sure you give credit where it is due. As of right this second, credit goes to Terv for the conversion kit, and Heretic for some of the resources. If you would like, it would be great to give me credit for assembling it all for you. Also, in time, I will start building some of thee compatible scripts into this demo, and at that point, I would ask to be included in the credits as well. Of course, you are always capable of simply making the kit work for yourself, in which case you owe me no credit whatsoever =p

Download: You can download the demo HERE! It's a self-compressed .exe within a .zip file. If you need it in another format for whatever reason, send me a pm and I'll see what I can do. It's hosted on my own site, so there should be absolutely no issues with downloading it.

ForeverZer0

Quote from: PhoenixFire on June 22, 2014, 11:56:58 pm
If you use the Steam version of XP: You will have to edit the ini file every time you save the game after editing; for some reason, they decided it was necessary to have the editor overwrite the ini config file every time you save changes.

Could you change the properties of the file to "Read-only"? That should keep it from being overwritten.
Spoiler: ShowHide
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

PhoenixFire

Yanno, I thought of that, but didn't try it. I guess I figured that RMXP would simply change it's permissions back on you. If you end up trying that, let me know, and I'll go ahead and include that little part in m next update...

..as a sidenote, I feel like I'm the one taking over this project, kinda like how KK20 took over your tilemap rewrite script F0 hehe

Blizzard

Open the folder. Hold SHIFT and right click on empty space inside the folder. Select "Open Command Line here". Type:

attrib +r +s Game.ini

Hit ENTER and now RMXP shouldn't be able to overwrite it anymore. I haven't tried it, but it might just work.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

PhoenixFire

Totally worked Blizz :D

You wouldn't happen to know off the top of your head, that if someone copies this to their computer, the attributes WILL remain the same, right? I just spent the past 4 hours in the land of SEO research and comparables, so my brain is a bit bleh. I wanna say they'll remain unless they're purposefully changed by the person who downloads it...

Blizzard

I'm not 100% sure. If they are put into an archive (ZIP or RAR for example), the attributes might get removed. But it's not that important in general. +r is read-only and +s is system-file. As far as I know system files just have a somewhat higher level of protection against messing with them, but nothing else. So even if you distribute your game like that, you should be fine.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

PhoenixFire

Agreed, I'm just more worried for the people who use the demo, make a game on their own, save the changes, and can't figure out why the game suddenly doesn't work =p I know that the smart part for them to do would be to read through thiis thread, or the documentation I end up shipping with the kit, but you and I both know people don't do that ( *points to Blizz-ABS thread* point in case... a well documented system, has at least two repeated questions or variations of, per page ).I guess the only way to find out will be to test it out haha..

Zexion

It's really not supposed to be the developer's concern whether people read the documentation or not :b
If they want help it is here, and hopefully in a manual. There is not much else you can do, so don't stress!

whitespirits

PhoenixFire

In it's current incarnation? Probably not.

Down the road? Maybe, we'll see. I don't know enough about how RMX-OS works to make a perfect call on that, but based on how compatible other things are... Ehh.. It ~might~ work a little bit but I doubt it's 100% compatible.

G_G

Have you released your tilemap rewrite yet KK20? The one with the DLL?

KK20

Not yet. Been busy with the contest to even look at it this month. It's on my priority list of things I want to work on in July though.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

PhoenixFire

Yeah, you should do that! Once it's ready, I'll place that one in instead and see how much better it runs; probably ALOT better, since King's rewrite is a bit dated..

EDIT:

*Double-Posts for some fun news*

Okay, so I went ahead and bought up and registered the domain rmxpace.com and with the help of KK20 maybe Zexion, and whomever else wants to help, we'll get a new site going for this project, kind of similar to what Terv had going. Bug tracker/script conversions, "official" releases of the engine with scripts streamlined in it that we know to work, and actually provide additional functions, etc. I'll end up doing up a ton of documentation for it to explain how to use the different features and such. So yeah, once I get it actually running, we can start this up :)

Soooo... any and all issues that you guys come across, I guess post here until otherwise noted that the other site is ready to accept issue submissions :P

Zexion