[VXA] Nightmare (Completed Horror Game)

Started by Zylos, April 28, 2012, 01:22:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Zylos

Updated to Version 1.04 to fix a minor bug. In 1.03, I forgot to fix the elevators too so that they didn't have the problem Ryex did.

Kiwa

This looks pretty awesome!
"Hush hush hush...Here comes the boogieman".

Reminds me of when I tried to make a horror game in 2k3 after playing thru 'silent hill 4: the room' just much better... lol.(man..my game was bad..)

anyway.. looks great. perhaps I'll DL it for a less busy time.

P.S. That char looks 2 blocks tall. Didn't know you could do that... (tho i didn't play with VX to the fullest)

Zylos

It's a simple Mack-style character, been dying to use that style in a game. You can use just about any size graphic for sprites as long as you set it up properly, VX or VXA. Heck, you can even use the XP sprites if you cropped it so that it gets rid of the first column. Never let yourself be limited to what's given to you.

Kiwa

True story.
I only played with VX a little and didn't like it because the limitations to the chip set.
There were many options I liked tho.

I felt XP was a more flexible system with so much support already out there.
so I bought XP lol.

But this game proves there is more to VX than my first impression lol.

Landith

May 13, 2012, 01:10:30 am #24 Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 01:16:18 am by Landith
..This game actually scares me........
Spoiler: ShowHide

btw is it suppose to be room 206 and not 026? The letter says 026 but I can't find a room 026...

Zylos

May 13, 2012, 08:56:53 am #25 Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 09:02:53 am by Zylos
Nope, it's Room 026. Just explore and progress through the game to find it.

Also, boo. :3

MarkHest

May 13, 2012, 07:34:52 pm #26 Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 07:37:41 pm by MarkHest
I'm loving the game so far, even though i haven't come that far yet.

I've felt the exitement to explore every single room in fear, avoiding the shadow at all times, picked up keys & objects and placed them in the correct places.

But as soon as i get to the FIRST riddle my mind turns to mush and ends up walking around in circles for an hour to see if i've missed anything! I've never had any skills with riddles and they basically block my playthrough every single time no matter what the game :P

It's the first riddle on that tabled saying something about twelve spirits. Basically i'm too stupid to know even what the riddles wants me to do. To me the riddle isn't even a question! I could use some help here...

Zylos

Glad you like it!

If you're playing normal mode or timid mode, there's a small hint in the very room with you for the first riddle: a bottle of spirits. The riddle talks about spirits dancing in a ballroom and how none of the ones standing know the answer. Put two and two together, and you should be able to figure out where the solution lies.

MarkHest

May 18, 2012, 05:52:09 pm #28 Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 05:54:50 pm by MarkHest
whoho!

Yes, i did find the solution. It took a while for me to actually realize that i needed to walk to the actual BALL to look for the answer myself. Very clever. I'm always slow with these things.
Don't be suprised if i am asking for help once again later on, hehe. Thanks! :)

EDIT: Okay i cleared the game on normal difficulty without further help. It was kinda short but i liked it.
It was a game that keeps me on the top of my seat and pay extra attension so i would not walk into the girl in the corridors. The fear if felt from this game was real and it was kind of thrilling to be honest :^_^':
Top 3 Scares: ShowHide

1: The thing that scared me the most is the girl that showed up on the TV after you entered the password. She looked so freakingly scary! xD I was afraid that she would jump at the screen towards me once i read through all the text.
2: The first time i got caught by the Nightmare I wasn't prepared so i jumped a little once the sound showed up.
3: In the end when the nightmare actually started to RUN! I was like "OH MY FUCKING GOD!! RUN YOU IDIOT! RUN!!"  I ended up dying once on the end part because i paniced :(

The atmosphere of the game is really special and it sort of gave me the same feeling as when i was playing Amnesia - The Dark Descent, mainly because of the silent surroundings and the need to be carefull wherever you go. I'd like to see more games like this, only a bit scarrier and longer. (I wonder if i have the potential to create a small horror game :huh:)

Anyway, that concludes my feedback post of this game. Exelent game!

(by the way, there were multiple endings? I got the one where the man came back to life at the hospital and after that the game ended. What are the other endings?)

Zylos

Woohoo. :3

And yes, you got the good ending. There's a not-so-good ending if you didn't do some of the actions you did in the normal playthrough before reaching the basement.

phillip1756

really really stuck on the code for the safe

Zylos

Oh hey, long time no see. Here's a hint for you:

The safe code puzzle is based on the Sphinx's riddle: Which creature walks on four legs in the morning, two legs in the afternoon, and three legs in the evening? The answer to that riddle was man, and thus man is used as an example in the office for how to figure out the safe combination.

phillip1756

Quote from: Zylos on June 28, 2012, 03:02:01 pm
Oh hey, long time no see. Here's a hint for you:

The safe code puzzle is based on the Sphinx's riddle: Which creature walks on four legs in the morning, two legs in the afternoon, and three legs in the evening? The answer to that riddle was man, and thus man is used as an example in the office for how to figure out the safe combination.

still not sure lol

Zylos

Try this then.

Look at the legs of each animal in the document on the desk. It'll show you the four digit combo.

Zylos

While I'm at it. Been two months now since the end of the GIAW, so figured I'll upload the entirety of the unencrypted project like I've done with my other finished projects. Lets people indulge their curiosity for how I did something or other and gives novices (or maybe intermediates if I'm deluding myself) an example project that they can explore and learn mechanics from.

Unencrypted Version Download

Only two things that I always ask are, of course, that you don't try to steal credit for something you didn't make (you'd look like a dumbass if you did and were caught) or go in to try and "borrow" any of the resources themselves. Simple matters of respect and courtesy. More likely than not, you won't be able to accurately determine which resources are original, which I made myself, which have been edited specifically to fit Nightmare's needs, or even where most of them actually came from and who to properly credit. Not to mention it's just plain rude to use someone else's specific game stuff for yours.

Other than that, have fun. Hopefully it helps you learn a thing or two or get an idea for your own game.

phillip1756

Quote from: Zylos on June 28, 2012, 03:07:36 pm
Try this then.

Look at the legs of each animal in the document on the desk. It'll show you the four digit combo.

I tried 4208 but it didnt work

Zylos

Think outside the box.

The old man in the sphinx riddle didn't have three physical legs, but he still contributed as three in the answer because of his cane. In this case, you have a four-legged wolf, a kangaroo standing up on two feet and his tail, a snake slithering along without any legs, and an eight-legged spider dangling. What should the combination be?

phillip1756

Quote from: Zylos on June 28, 2012, 07:12:51 pm
Think outside the box.

The old man in the sphinx riddle didn't have three physical legs, but he still contributed as three in the answer because of his cane. In this case, you have a four-legged wolf, a kangaroo standing up on two feet and his tail, a snake slithering along without any legs, and an eight-legged spider dangling. What should the combination be?

thanks man

Magus

Thanks you, I've been inspired to create a new rpg maker xp game. Of course it won't be like this nor will it probably be horror. But the fact that this is so creative, that's what I'm aiming for: a creative game.
LEVEL ME DOWN. THE ANTI-BLIZZ GROUP IS AMONG YOU... Do it for the chick below...She watches..<br />

DOLLofPARANOIA

January 11, 2014, 06:09:46 pm #39 Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 06:12:53 pm by DOLLofPARANOIA
May I please get some assistance here? I've only just recently got around to learning about this game,
and after enjoying many other RPG Maker-type games--favorite being Ib--
I decided that I wanted to go ahead and give this one a try.

Turns out I apparently can't even get the thing to start properly. Well, it does start up per say.
The production logo thing pops up, I get to the Menu, I click New Game, I choose "Timid" Mode, and *PFFFT*...
A message saying the RGSS3 Player has crashed.

Why am I having so many problems with these games lately?
First I couldn't get three Visual Novel games to work, then I couldn't get Mermaid Swamp to work, and now this.

Am I just one of the unlucky ones? I don't understand why--Ib worked perfectly fine for me the first time I played it...