Money or Passion?

Started by ShadowPierce, April 10, 2012, 03:20:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowPierce

Recently, I just had the opportunity to choose between these two. :uhm:

I'm currently job hunting because I can't afford school for a while... But luckily, I was soon spotted by a game publishing company and was immediately "hired" as a game management personnel (GM and Mod)... Although I'm still a week away from the contract signing, I already feel like this job is where I should stick to, since it's the closest I could probably get to observing how the game industry works... :D

However, just yesterday, my mom and aunt found a call center job with the same salary but has better incentives like transportation and food allowances... Although it's not that much of a difference, it's still pretty decent considering that I won't have to pay for some of those and will just have to worry about the job... :^_^':

My big problem now is that I have no idea which one to choose... If I get the game job, I won't be able to save up faster for a laptop and might take half a year, and even the employer said that promotions are only given when absolutely needed... But I will love what I do... On the other hand, I never thought my talent for english, math and logic would be wasted on answering impatient customers... Sure, I'd have a decent pay but I don't like my job... I sure would love to take some extra dough for my folks, though... And it seems that promotions here are more often compared to the other one... :P

I'm really confused right now and I know I'm not very good at making decisions on my own so I'd like to have some external opinions... :3

And if you were in my situation, what do you think you would choose? :)

Spoiler: ShowHide
Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
3DS Friend Code: ShowHide
1161-0627-9890

SBR*

April 10, 2012, 03:24:56 pm #1 Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:26:58 pm by SBR*
I would choose for the one that were to make me the happiest.

EDIT: Unless the job is only temporary; then I wouldn't know.

ShadowPierce

April 10, 2012, 03:30:09 pm #2 Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:36:15 pm by ShadowPierce
Let me put it this way:

Game job:
Me = Happy
Parents = Poor

Call Center:
Me= Unfulfilled
Parents = $$$

I'm not saying that my parents are milking money out of me, I'd be more than happy to give my whole salary to them, and that would also make me happy... Call me corny or a saint, that's just how I am... Earning money for a family of five would usually require two or more of the family members having a job... Sadly, that's just how it is in 3rd world countries...

My parents said that it would be fine if I get the game job, but they would prefer it if I get the call center one... And I admit that I think call centers are a complete waste of talent... :P

Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
1161-0627-9890

KK20

This is related to my Academic and Life Success class of "Are you looking for a career or a survival job?" idea. Do you want a job so that you can make money to help you with more important things (like getting back into school) or are you looking to work full-time and never look back at school? In all reality, you should leave "passion" and "This is what I want to do" when you are sure that EVERYTHING on your priority list has been satisfied.

Because I'm not 100% ready to go into looking for a position in game design, I would take the part-time job instead. But I'm not exactly like you (as in terms of experience or economic situations etc.) so don't jump into a choice. I'd sit down and write all the things you would like to finish--plan for your future and see what is most important and vital right now.

Whatever you choose, good luck!  ;)

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

ShadowPierce

Wow, that's really good advice... :o

I, myself, am actually planning to finish my Computer Science course and take on a masteral degree at some point while I'm working... :3

1161-0627-9890

winkio

This is probably the wrong place to ask, since most people around here are still in school, but here goes:

Neither job sounds like a long term situation, in that you will likely move on once you have more experience.  I would be wary of the call center job because dealing with people all day is very, VERY high stress.  The game management job seems like it would be more laid back, and would give you more free time.  Since I'm assuming you don't want to be stuck in either of these jobs the rest of your life, I would take the game management job and use your free time to acquire skills that will qualify you for something better.  

Since you mentioned you were interested in the game industry, there are a variety of possibilities: 2D art, 3D art, marketing, public relations, programming, etc.  Pick a specialty, get good at it, and demonstrate your skills with a few personal projects.  Add them to a portfolio, attach a resume, and then start applying for the bigger jobs in the industry so that you can fully support yourself and a family.  Taking the call center job will pretty much leave you dead in the water until you save up enough to go back to school, which would be a positive outcome.

Dweller

Probably because I´m older than most of you but my point of view is a little different:

You are 20 years old, so passion > all (not talking about crazy decissions)
Dwellercoc

ForeverZer0

As winkio said, chances are extremely high that neither of these jobs are going to be what you retire from in 40 years. With that being said, think of the career that you are striving for, and decide which one of these two will benefit you more in getting there. If your passion is to be part of the gaming industry someday, then the job in the gaming field would be of great benefit. You would have first hand experience in that field, which trumps anything else on your resume, when applying for your dream job down the road. If both of these are unrelated to your dream job, and neither would provide any direct benefit, then choose the one that makes more money. Use it as a means to end to get where you want to be. 

Keep in mind that it is VERY easy to start down a path with full intentions of using it as a "stepping stone", and before you know it your life has passed you by and that is now your career. This is not necessarily bad, just something to keep in mind. For example, you get a "temporary" job in customer relations. You don't really care for it, but it pays pretty good, so you stay. Someday you are looking for another job. Naturally you will seek out a job in what you know and are experienced in because it makes it much easier to get hired, and usually at a higher pay-rate.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

ShadowPierce

It seems that the answer is clear, apparently... Sure, it'll make less money now, but it would definitely be good for my resume... I think I'm taking the game management job for now and resume my studies in a year or two... :D

1161-0627-9890

Seltzer Cole

I would pick whichever job makes you happiest. I have a friend who works at chic fil a and refuses to leave because he loves it there. It took me time to understand his motives. It is simple, life isn't worth living unless you are happy. Even if he makes little, he loves his job and it makes his life happy. So go with whatever makes you happiest. Best of luck. (Working at Call Centers SUCKS by the way)
You know you play video games to much when you put sunglasses on and whisper "Plus 10 Appearance"

If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0

EntropyUSB

Quote from: ShadowPierce on April 10, 2012, 03:20:48 pm
Recently, I just had the opportunity to choose between these two. :uhm:

I'm currently job hunting because I can't afford school for a while... But luckily, I was soon spotted by a game publishing company and was immediately "hired" as a game management personnel (GM and Mod)... Although I'm still a week away from the contract signing, I already feel like this job is where I should stick to, since it's the closest I could probably get to observing how the game industry works... :D

However, just yesterday, my mom and aunt found a call center job with the same salary but has better incentives like transportation and food allowances... Although it's not that much of a difference, it's still pretty decent considering that I won't have to pay for some of those and will just have to worry about the job... :^_^':

My big problem now is that I have no idea which one to choose... If I get the game job, I won't be able to save up faster for a laptop and might take half a year, and even the employer said that promotions are only given when absolutely needed... But I will love what I do... On the other hand, I never thought my talent for english, math and logic would be wasted on answering impatient customers... Sure, I'd have a decent pay but I don't like my job... I sure would love to take some extra dough for my folks, though... And it seems that promotions here are more often compared to the other one... :P

I'm really confused right now and I know I'm not very good at making decisions on my own so I'd like to have some external opinions... :3

And if you were in my situation, what do you think you would choose? :)

I am going to try and be as respectful as I can be, but in the current life we are in; passion is nothing more than a daydream followed by a nightmare. Sooner or later, your passion will come to an end; and then you will have to pursue something you care less about.

Overall, the way I see it (no offense to anyone); just get a job, work your ass off and keep yourself (and those you care for) alive and well.

That is pretty much it... cause seriously, a job is a job... regardless or not if you like it, as long as it isn't ILLEGAL; then you better work until your hands are sore, your feet are sore and your entire body is aching from the agony that swells over.