New Foods!

Started by PhoenixFire, August 17, 2013, 07:04:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PhoenixFire

Blizz or someone, you should sticky this!

Alright, so I deem this to be the official thread to post new foods that you make and want to share with everyone! Be as specific as you can, but obviously don't go overboard with the details.

The reason I started this, was due to this post earlier today:
Quote from: Ryex on August 17, 2013, 11:58:03 am
lol, I freaking LOVE beaing able to up and cook what ever the hell I want, last night I had a pork chop over rice that I cooked in butter garlic parsly oregino salt and peper. was delicious

So needless to say, we have over 600 members. I cannot be the only official cook here, and Ryex can not be the only food maker amongst us either haha..
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Ryex

Wait official cook? really?

anyways here's what I did with that pork chop

• combine Garlic Prouder,  Dried Oregano and Parley , Salt and Black Pepper in small bowl. about a teaspoon of each, half a teaspoon of salt (dont want to get it too salty) (multiply this by the number of chops your cooking)
  • melt about a tablespoon of butter in an appropriately sized skillet over medium high heat (you want to mostly cover the bottom of the pan so you may need more or less depending on the size of the pan and how many your making)
  • Rub the dried ingredients over the surface of the port chop on both sides
  • place chops in pan and increase heat slightly (you want them sizzling but not violently)
  • Cook until bottom is a medium golden and then flip the chop over
  • When other side is also golden and you are certain the chop is thoroughly cooked through (use a thermometer if you have to) remove from heap and place the chop aside, turn down the heat to medium and sprinkle about a tablespoon of flower over the butter still in the pan wisk with fork to ensure the flower is thoroughly mixed in, immediately add about a cup of water and stir untill sauce is as thick as desired
  • serve the chop over rice and add sauce, Enjoy!
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

PhoenixFire

Quote from: Ryex on August 17, 2013, 08:18:08 pm
Wait official cook? really?

Yeah, I'm a cook in real life.
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Ryex

well as an official cook, what do you think of my inprovasation
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Zexion

My girlfriend is a chef too XD did you go to school for cooking or you learned on the job?
@ryex
It sounds delicious lol. Garlic + Butter + Porkchop = Heaven

Ryex

I was never trained or anything. it's mostly just a result of my dad being obsessed with cooking shows and me watching them on occasion with him. But I believe that question was directed at Digital so nevermind.

WhiteRose

I recently made some chicken wings with a sauce made from cola. It actually turned out really well, with a great flavor, although it did take a little while to cook. I still have the recipe if anyone wants to give it a try. :P All you need are some wings, a can of soda, and a few other small ingredients for the sauce (onion powder, garlic, soy sauce, etc.)

Blizzard

I'd definitely like to try something like that. I'm mostly interested in the sauce.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

WhiteRose

Quote from: Blizzard on August 18, 2013, 05:41:52 pm
I'd definitely like to try something like that. I'm mostly interested in the sauce.

Here's a link to the recipe if you want to give it a try. It's really easy to make. :)

Wings in Cola

winkio

So I am completely unexperienced in cooking (I think I have cooked a total of 6 or 7 meals in my life), but I just make some pretty awesome bolognese.  I didn't use a recipe, I just had an idea of what to make and went for it.  Basically, I seasoned some ground beef with salt and pepper, added a lot of diced onions, cooked until brown, added some tomato sauce, cooked for another minute or two, then served over some pasta and grated Parmesan cheese on top.  Pretty simple, but turned out a lot better than I expected.

PhoenixFire

My favorite "modification" to foods to make is Mac and Cheese. Assuming you make it from a premade kit like Kraft, simply follow the instructions, and make it like normal, but add plain cream cheese and grated cheddar to it as well (as much or as little as you like). It gives a smooth texture to it, and a slight boost to the cheese flavour.

WhiteRose

Quote from: DigitalSoul on August 19, 2013, 09:48:44 pm
My favorite "modification" to foods to make is Mac and Cheese. Assuming you make it from a premade kit like Kraft, simply follow the instructions, and make it like normal, but add plain cream cheese and grated cheddar to it as well (as much or as little as you like). It gives a smooth texture to it, and a slight boost to the cheese flavour.

I do that exact same thing! I didn't know that anyone else did that. Haha. :D

Ryex

August 20, 2013, 10:25:36 pm #12 Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:29:33 pm by Ryex
I have a new one.
Takes a bit longer to prepare, but I think it's worth it.
Spoiler: ShowHide

so basically I dices up about a quarter of a onion and half a small tomato along with some mozzarella. I combined it with rubbed sage, basil,  parsley and some extra virgin olive oil to make a filling. it filled a cereal bowl when I was done.

now here is the hard part, I cut open 3 large, boneless, skinned chicken breasts to make a pocket and stuffed them with 1/3 of the filling. I closed them up with some long tooth picks .

I pored the remainder of the ol and herbs over the top of the breasts once they were on a roasting pan.

I put them in a preheated oven at 350 degrees (F) for about 40 minutes. (you of course want to make sure you chicken is thoroughly cooked so you could probably stand to go up to 50-55 minutes, or raise the temp to 375 if you want them to come out a bit more brown than the picture, I can't garentee they will stay moist though. I'm at about 6000 ft elevation so 40 minutes as 350 should do it if your lower than me.)_

took them out and served with some pasta Alfredo that I made with dried egg noodles and a package of Alfredo mix form the store.

I ended up with enough for 3 dinners so I'll be eating well for the next 2 nights :)

Spaceman McConaughey

What do I do? Well, I make regular ol' pasta.

I use a creamy vodka sauce, add in bits of vegetables, as well as chunks of sumuri (artificial crab), which makes it much more filling and delicious.
I also add in chunks of sumuri to my Tuna Helper, which also makes it more filling and delicious.

Ryex

January 25, 2014, 03:23:19 am #14 Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 10:00:07 pm by Ryex
I had something really great tonight, it was kind of an eastern style chicken and noodles thing

Diced 1/4 of a yellow onion
minced 4 cloves of garlic
chopped 1 green onion
sliced 4 mushrooms (pick your favorite)
Olive oil
butter
teriyaki sauce
soy sauce
spaghetti or other long round noodle

in a fraying pan slowly melt a small pad of butter and add a table spoon of olive oil bring the oil and butter to heat on low so as not to burn either.

de-bone a chicken thigh by making a slit along the bone on the non skin side and pulling the bone out. lightly drissle olive oil on both sides and sprinkle with oregano. turn up heat to half way between medium and media high and place chicken thigh skin side down in pan. spread chopped and minced ingredients around chicken in pan. slice up a few mushrooms and spread around pan. add about 2 teaspoons of teriyaki sauce over chicken and vegetables

toss the ingredients the pan every few minutes to get even dispersal and cooking as well as making sure they don't burn or stick.

Start the noodles cooking in boiling water after the chicken has been down for about 3 minutes

flip the chicken after about 6 minutes and let cook for another 5.

at this point the noodles should be almost done drain them most of the way but leave a little of liquid, reduce heat to just below medium and add the noodles and reminding liquid to pan, add a splash more teriyaki and about 2 teaspoons of soy sauce, toss to mix and cover to capture steam to finish cooking chicken and noodles. cook for another 3-5 minutes. use a knife to check center of chicken to be sure it done. again toss the ingredients in the pan every minute or so to ensure nothing sticks or burns.

I was really good. a bit of improvisation was used to mix this up and it wasn't by any meas authentic. feel free to make ingredient substitutions and try it out some time. I have a feeling would of worked just as well with sliced or chopped chicken or pork. try it out sometime.

Blizzard

Frying some onions and garlic always gives sauces a really good taste. It's nuts, lol!
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

WhiteRose

Quote from: Blizzard on January 25, 2014, 04:21:18 am
Frying some onions and garlic always gives sauces a really good taste. It's nuts, lol!

Very true. Never underestimate the power of onions. Even in just scrambled eggs, they add a lot of that tiny flavor that tips it from being good to being great.

PhoenixFire

I especially like to add powdered garlic and onion to certain dishes, especially pasta based dishes. It adds a little bit of flavor, and if done right, it can be added to many other things that you wouldn't expect, such as vegetables.. Onion, garlic and black pepper added to eggs is pretty good too. One thing I made recently was my own version of a Japanese breakfast dish called Tamagoyaki, which is basically a rolled omelet. It was delicious, and although I did not follow the recipe I found exactly, it's like the American version of an omelet, where you can kind of make your own version out of it.

WhiteRose

Quote from: DigitalSoul on January 31, 2014, 11:24:36 am

I especially like to add powdered garlic and onion to certain dishes, especially pasta based dishes. It adds a little bit of flavor, and if done right, it can be added to many other things that you wouldn't expect, such as vegetables.. Onion, garlic and black pepper added to eggs is pretty good too. One thing I made recently was my own version of a Japanese breakfast dish called Tamagoyaki, which is basically a rolled omelet. It was delicious, and although I did not follow the recipe I found exactly, it's like the American version of an omelet, where you can kind of make your own version out of it.

That sounds tasty. You should share the recipe and I'll give it a try!

Ranquil

Time to resurrect this thread!

I think ever since I was 11 years old I've really liked cooking. It's not something I'd want to make a career of, but it's just something I really enjoy. Mostly because the results are often food. Food = good.

One thing I make pretty often is a simple, small cake in the microwave. I usually just improvise it on the fly, but here's something of a recipe for it. It's very customizable and very delicious.

• a microwave-safe bowl

• a (big?) splash of oil

• about 0.5 dl (50 ml) of sugar (adjust to taste)

• an egg / an egg white / one or two egg yolks

• about 1.5-2 dl (150-200 ml) of plain flour

• (0.5 dl of flaked oats (the stuff you make porridge of))

• 0.5-1.5 tsp of baking powder (or half the amount of baking soda)

• 1-3 tbsp of milk / water / coffee / chocolate milk / fruit juice

• (2 tsp of apple sauce, mashed fruit or your favorite jam or jelly)

• (vanilla to taste)

• (a bit of cocoa powder)

• (a lot of cocoa drink mix)

• (cinnamon or cardamom)

• (whatever the fuck you can think of)

Mix sugar, oil and egg in the bowl, add dry ingredients and adjust the consistency with the other liquid ingredients. Put the bowl with the batter into the microwave and cook for 2.5-3 min on full blast. Let it cool before eating.

Here are how you can customize it:

-if you add less egg, add more liquid
-if you add apple sauce, mashed fruit, jelly or jam, add less liquid and sugar
-if you add cocoa powder, add a bit more sugar
-if you add cocoa drink mix, add less sugar
-if you add the flaked oats, add less flour
-feel free to use any spices that work with sweet things
-use your fucking imagination

This is a recipe you just have to experiment with to find something that works and what you like. Every time you make one, it's different from the last.

And then there's the incredibly simple banana ice cream. It's a lot cheaper than "real" ice cream and it's healthier as well! It's also suitable for vegans and those on a raw-food diet.

Take bananas that are really ripe. One banana makes one small serving, two bananas make one huge serving. Slice the bananas, put to a freezer bag and freeze so that the slices don't overlap too much. Once they're frozen, put them to a food processor with a small splash of water, milk or coffee and optionally some cocoa powder, vanilla or other frozen fruits or berries, and process until it forms something akin to soft-serve. It might take a while and you might have to mix it up a bit with a spatula. If you don't want it to be like soft-serve, just put the ice cream to a freezer and let it firm up more.
Quote from: Some guy on FacebookLife is like a penis. It's short but it feels so long when it gets hard.

Quote from: Steven WinterburnBefore you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.