The Mercenary

Started by Kagutsuchi, January 06, 2011, 05:04:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kagutsuchi

This is a problem that my philosophy professor asked during a lecture. Imagine that he was a mercenary, hired to kill us all. He had already organized it such that all of us would be killed in about 10 minutes. However during those 10 minutes, if we managed to give him one good reason to not kill us, he would let us live. What to say? :S

Blizzard

*deletes the SPAM*

I would first ask him how much he is paying him. It may sound like an irrelevant question, but it actually isn't irrelevant to the mercenary. After that I would ask if he really needs that money. Then I would ask him what his motivation is for killing us all except the money. Depending on his answer, I would probably continue with asking him if he has killed many innocent people.

Basically I think I would go psychological about it. I would try to find his motivation and then try to offer him a new motivation not to do it. That would be my first raw idea.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Futendra

They say doing weird helps not getting killed

Shopkeepers start dancing when they get robbed, act like a chicken ETC

The robbers or killers find it not normal, and their "normal" robbery/killing gets wrong, it is not what they want, so they dont do it.

It is proven this works, google it ;)

Power Hungry Midget

I'd be inclined to agree with Blizz here. Challenging their motives and trying to make them feel guilty about what they are about to do.

The plot thickens......

I have a mind to join a club and then beat you over the head with it.
     -Groucho Marx
I often quote myself. I find it adds spice to the conversation.
     -George Bernard Shaw

http://xkcd.com/303

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.
    -Oscar Wilde

Blizzard

Hm, maybe not even guilty. Just discouraging their motives on a psychological level to simply make them see things like "what's the point" could be interesting enough and maybe enough for them not to do it.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Futendra

Quote from: Blizzard on January 08, 2011, 05:55:41 pm
Hm, maybe not even guilty. Just discouraging their motives on a psychological level to simply make them see things like "what's the point" could be interesting enough and maybe enough for them not to do it.
What about psychos??

They say that saying what would u do? also helps

Blizzard

Since it's not specifically pointed out that he is mentally deranged, I think we can assume that he isn't.

Vell

Tell him that everytime he turns his eyes away from the wall behind him, you make it vanish into thin air. Make a snide remark about the class next door.

The Niche

Offer him a permanent job for when I eventually take over the world.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!