New PC Build

Started by G_G, July 11, 2014, 09:46:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

G_G

July 11, 2014, 09:46:49 pm Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 09:55:31 pm by gameus
So I'm getting the opportunity to build myself a new computer. This rig is going to be amazing and so much better than my current one (though my current computer is a beast and has lasted me the last two years). Thankfully I have GAX to answer computer questions for me and I finally agreed on a final build. My dad is buying my current computer off of me for $1,000 so I only have to shell out about $500 to make this possible. I am taking a few parts from my current build to save myself some money. Dad's perfectly okay with it since he's also buying a couple of additional parts for it.

Case
NZXT Phantom 530$109.99
Motherboard
ASUS Z97-A ATX$143.99
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790k$339.99
Graphics Card
EVGA GeForce GTX780$499.99
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 Modular$112.99
SSD
Kingston Digital 60GB$57.03
RAM
Kingston HyperX Beast 16 GB 2133Mhz$176.74
Cooling
NZXT 140mm Case Fan x2$13.70
ARCTIC Freezer i11 CPU Cooler$22.99
Storage
2TB HDD 7200 RPM$0 (From Current Build)
3TB HDD 7200 RPM$0 (From Current Build)
DVD Drive
ASUS 24x DVD-RW$0 (From Current Build)
Wireless Card
ASUS Dual-Band Wireless$0 (From Current Build)
Total Cost with Free 2-Day Shipping$1,477.14
Total Cost for 1-Day Shipping$1,531.31

Future Plans

• Add Liquid Cooling

• Get 2nd GTX 780 for SLI

• Get more storage and hookup RAID

• Add another 16GB RAM

• Possibly More

I'll be updating this post when I order the parts. I'll also update it when I get the parts and actually post pictures on the building process this time. I never did do it for my last build.

Blizzard

July 12, 2014, 07:02:33 am #1 Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 07:04:04 am by Blizzard
I'm not too familiar with recent hardware specs, but does that i7 have 4 or 8 logical cores? I highly recommend to get an 8-core, even if it's weaker than a 4-core in GHz. My laptop has 8 cores and it's nuts. It compiles faster than my PC at work and everything runs smoothly. I even paid less than I would have for a 4-core if I remember right. An 8-core will last you for more than 2 years.

Also, now might not be the right time to get new hardware. Teo told me that this summer or fall DDR4 should become standard which means that next summer it will probably be very affordable and last for another couple of years.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

It has 4 cores amd is listed as having 8 threads. This is one of Intels most recent and I was curious since it had a base clock of 4.0. Gax told me that the same thingabout ddr4 nbut my dad's buying my current build and I don't want to go without a computer for a year. I'll just have to upgrade again in two years.

Blizzard

If it's a newer CPU model, that's good. You'll only have to switch out the motherboard and get new RAM modules. I'm sure that newer motherboards will still support that CPU.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

July 12, 2014, 01:06:21 pm #4 Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 05:19:30 pm by Ryex
there are only 4 true 8 core processors on the market. all 4 of them are made by AMD. Intel only does 4 physical cores but simulates 8 logical ones.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

WhiteRose

Quote from: Ryex on July 12, 2014, 01:06:21 pm
there is only 4 true 8 core processors on the market. all 4 of them are made by AMD. Intel only does 4 physical cores but simulates 8 logical ones.

Except for the 4930k and 4960x. ;) They are 6 core i7 chips with 12 logical threads.

Ryex

ah yes. I forgot that Intel's higher end chips were hexacores. I have an octacore though :P
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

G_G

I thinkit simulates 8 logical cores. I ccan't say for sure. I'm not very well knownwith iIntel this is my first cpu with one.

G_G

UPDATE: Guys, I came into an extra $500. I'm going to be updating the list of parts and I'm going to have a $2,000 budget for this build now.

Spaceman McConaughey

Quote from: Ryex on July 12, 2014, 05:20:35 pm
ah yes. I forgot that Intel's higher end chips were hexacores. I have an octacore though :P

stfu woman u got owned

:V:

Anyways, Ronnie, fuck yeah. You better constantly tease me when this computer is made.

G_G

So I'm not sure if anyone was waiting for an update, but I'm still picking out which parts I want and I might do what Blizzard said and wait for DDR4 RAM to come out before I do get anything.

Blizzard

Maybe better don't. Teo told me it's probably gonna take another 2 years for it to become mainstream. We just talked about it yesterday.

G_G

.___________. Fine you have me sold. I'll gather my new computer parts list today.

G_G

Okay, so a few handful of decisions later, I ended finding a slightly quicker way to get the computer I wanted. I had a $1,500 budget, and then eventually turned into a $2,000 budget. Then I had car troubles and ended up having to get a new vehicle. After restoring my computer budget I bit, I ended up with $1,500 again.

Instead of building a computer I'll settle with, I decided to order a computer I want. I went through http://originpc.com and financed a computer for $2,700. With the $1,500 I have, I'll only owe $1,200. My payments would have originally been $113 for 36 months, but thanks to my down payment, I'll only have to pay $113 for 10 months, or you know, have it paid completely paid off in a few months because I know I can come up with that money pretty quickly.

As far as the stats go, I can't really remember exactly everything I got from their customization but here's a few parts.

Millenium Mid Size Case
Asus Z97 Deluxe Mobo
Origin 120 Liquid Cooling
Intel i7 4790K Quad Core 4.0Ghz
850watt EVGA Power Supply
Single GTX 980 4GB
16GB 1866Mhz HyperX RAM
120GB HyperX SSD
2TB Hybrid Drive

Can't really remember what else I picked out from customization but that's pretty much the important stuff anyways. I'll get my computer in about 12 days so I'll definitely post some pictures when it gets here.

Blizzard

legacyblade

Hey, I'm using the same case lol! If you get a red one, we'll be twinsies :P

G_G

Nyaahhh went with white case and white cable covers. Can't wait to get it!

Blizzard

OMG, then your cases combined make up the colors of CP! :O

legacyblade

I've been using the blue theme for so long I forgot that it's not the official color for the logo o.o