New MMO concept brainstorming

Started by Soulshaker3, September 26, 2014, 11:18:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Soulshaker3

September 26, 2014, 11:18:51 am Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 11:22:43 am by soulshaker3
So recently i've been thinking of a way to enhance the playability of the MMORPG style games, in other words have more human interaction between the players to get certain objectives and decrease the impact of time spent on the game. For example in a Moba game when two players play against each other the only barrier between them is the skill of each one. In an MMORPG if someone stops playing for a month and then he realizes the other person that never stopped playing was already level 38 even if they want to play against each other the numbers are high enough for the other to do 0 damage to him.

I think that's what's wrong with the MMO style numbers high enough can make you pretty much invinciblem, I mean the idea behind it isn't bad I think it was just bad applied and other producers hadn't any better ideas or afraid people didn't like such a different experience in the same genre of game they just sticked with that one the result is what we see now, pay to win games or really hard and time consuming ones that can reduce a big part of it by using the cash system.

Another thing is the quest system most of it should just be deleted because it doesn't contribute nothing to the actual gameplay and most of them are pointless like some: "Go there and kill 10 wolfs." and people are like "what the hell is that it's pointless as hell", the system shouldn't be completly deleted but heavily changed, some small things and fun to do that actually have a porpuse should only be

And the last point I want to talk about is the first thing I talked about and the one i want to focus more: Human Interactions, if we look at today's MMO games it's pretty much everyone for himself, some just pay to be cool and be admired, some PK (player killers) that just don't care and only exist to kill other people, some small groups and Guild's (I'm perfectly fine with this and I want to improve this), and some solo players that are just sick of the community and just play solo. Nowadays we still see guild's and partys but the MMO community has seen better days before.

I want to make people able to work towards a single objective together and make it impossible to do alone, that's other thing missing in the MMO games they don't have an actual objective all you have is get max level and be the best but that isn't enough, like all the other not online genres MMOs should have an actual ending but continue to play after you get that objective. Another thing is most of the MMO's have millions of players playing it but for this one it should only be a couple thousand not more than that I'l explain later in the post.

The game should be divided in parts and when you finish that part you'd be able to go back to the area you were before and go to next one, kindda like a floor system, when you finish one you can go to the next one and go to the previous ones if needed to or want to go there for whatever reason. You'd be free to walk on the entire floor once you've unlocked it except one part, the dungeon where a boss is. I want to make kind of a dungeon system with a couple hundred rooms but with only one possible way to the boss room, but in the dungeon you couldn't walk freely there oh no that's not happening you could only walk on the rooms you've cleared and could only procced if you cleared the room you were in, most of the times you'd go to a dead end only one way is the one to the boss fight. To enter there the entrance would be somewhere hidden in the "floor" and the player that found it should be the one sharing where it is. You could only enter with a party of 4 or more players limited to 10 per party. To enter the boss room when it was found it should be atleast 50/100 players in a specific area and they would fight him, also every mob in there wouldn't respawn so the items and experience that are obtained there are limited. Not sure if out of the dungeons mobs would be able to spawn but that's a thing to take into consideration.
Also the dungeon wouldn't be an instance like in all the games is it would be a global one to the whole server that's why only a couple thousand should be allowed to participate because it would be a lot faster and I want to make each floor dungeon take at leasta  month to complete.

I would also like some hobbies recreated in the game like fishing, hunting, cooking etc... so people would take a break out of killing things and chill out for a little or even get a job in the game making those things (blacksmiths, markets with human sellers and with dropps each one made) your job in the game wouldn't be necessarily clearing the dungeons but you could be an hunter, fisher or even blacksmith full time,equipment wouldn't be obtainable otherwise or if it was it would be pretty rare, or even be a shop keeper which players would sell items to him and he sells them at higher prices to other ones.

Give me some suggestions about this what you liked and not and some things that you think that wouldn't work, waiting to see your opinion about this.

And I think that's basicly it, someday I want to take this out of the paper but I know it's hard to do such a project like this, because it would require a lot of people working together and effort of everyone, but this the concept of my dream game. If one day i'm able to make this I would call the genre:

MOCRPG - Multiplayer Online Cooperative Role Playing Game, it isn't massive so I took that part out :V:

PS: just kidding i know how this works I can't just create a game genre :P
Hellow?

KK20

After reading this, all I got out from it was:

"I want an MMO to be more like Sword Art Online"

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Soulshaker3

September 26, 2014, 02:15:47 pm #2 Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 02:17:23 pm by soulshaker3
No not exactly, I mean i didn't based this on the anime itself but into my personal experience with all MMO's i've played, but some points do actually match both, I think SAO was created because someone had the identical toughts as mine.

Edit: Also in SAO you can perfectly be a solo player and I think games should encourage more of human interactions.
Hellow?

KK20

You could clear whole floors by yourself? I thought they always needed a group.

Other Projects

Soulshaker3

No the main character always played solo the only group that he participated at first was in boss fights only later on he joined a guild and the romance part started, and he didn't need to clear the whole floor since he was playing solo it was so much more xp for him his level was ahead of everybody.
Hellow?

KK20

A game where I can't train by myself sounds stupid and limiting. I get the point of doing boss runs with a group, but training as a group should really only be reserved for the higher levels.

Other Projects

Soulshaker3

I guess you got that wrong, you can train yourself alone you just can't enter the dungeon by yourself you need to have a group because monsters there would be a pain in the ass. in the rest of the floor you could fight alone as much time as you wanted the whole point of getting people to have a party in the dungeon is to encourage teamwork.
Hellow?

KK20

Then you must have completely misread my post
Quote from: KK20 on September 26, 2014, 02:26:51 pm
You could clear whole floors by yourself? I thought they always needed a group.

And by "clearing floors" I meant beating the boss and moving onto the next floor.

Regardless, this is still very SAO-themed to me. Like exactly to the point.

Other Projects

Soulshaker3

I explained the part of beating the boss, no you can't make it, just outside the dungeon you can kill freely alone. Also saying that this is very SAO-themed is the same as saying all voxel games are based up in minecraft.
Hellow?

KK20

Maybe it's cuz Kirito is up in mah grill.

Other Projects

Soulshaker3

Quote from: KK20 on September 26, 2014, 03:37:33 pm
Maybe it's cuz Kirito is up in mah grill.

I seriously didn't get it, is that the thing i'm burguer sexy?
Hellow?

KK20

Spoiler: ShowHide

Keeping on topic, I do agree that MMOs are getting tastefully repetitive and favor individuals rather than groups. The elements presented in SAO made sense for the plot since the players were essentially living in the game. When other games try to recreate them, it comes up terribly done and unimaginative. When virtual reality becomes a thing, I'm all for it. But no cooking mini-game is going to make me thrilled.

Having a general goal in an MMO is difficult, especially since once the goal is completed there is nothing left to do. MMOs don't have "THE END"s--otherwise, companies would be broke. Adding more content later on just increases development costs and feels like a half-assed way to continue something that should be finished ("oh you guys beat the 100th floor. BUT THERE'S STILL MORE FLOORZ LYK OMRGZZZ"). Thus, you're better off having scenarios or epic events rather than a centralized, story-like objective. And taking a month to complete each floor? What are you trying to do, bore your players to death?

While keeping groups is always an ideal element (and more fun), limiting your game to just around a thousand players makes organizing such things difficult.

Other Projects

Soulshaker3

But making it otherwise would be impossible even if the games gets more attention than a thousand players (whitch i doubt it will) the only alternative would be to make the dungeon an instance and every player should pass from that. I'm sure this concept it's hard to do and if i followed the line i wrote it would be pretty terrible like you said since i'm sure VR and a genious mind would make something like this possible.

Also there's the level system like I stated previously in the topic it needs to change but a different MMO in the near future would be something that i'm really sure it would bring them to the top.
Hellow?

Ryex

Now see, this is exactly what I wanted to accomplish with the multiplayer in my game.

I want the players to be able to experience whole, coherent worlds and a story together at the same pace you would normally go through a single player game. of course my first goal in on solo play but I see what your trying to accomplish. the problem is that it's nigh impossible with more than 10 players at once.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Soulshaker3

Quote from: Ryex on September 26, 2014, 08:47:50 pm
more than 10 players at once.

I completly agree it would be an hell to make more than 10 players cooperate without proper cordination and a leader but as you know most of people don't like to follow rules from the other so this is really just a concept idea and nothing more than that because it would be highly difficult to do what I imagine a game to look like.
Hellow?

Blizzard

Imma let you finish, but MuOnline had the best encouragement for playing in groups of all time.

Seriously though, MuOnline had a neat feature regarding that. You could form a party with up to other 4 people and if they were "around" (i.e. not too far away or in another map), you would get bonus XP, because you're in a party. The great thing was that it was scaled according to the players' levels which encouraged high-level players to team up with low-level players so both get more XP. e.g. A monster gives 1000 XP. If you team up with a low-level player who is too weak to fight this monster (or it just takes too long to kill it), that monster would now give 1200 XP, because you're in a party (the bonus was 20% I think, but I'm pulling numbers out of my ass here since I've played this game 9 years ago). But when you kill the monster, the XP doesn't get distributed equally. You get 900 XP and the low-level player gets 300 XP. 300 XP is still huge for the low-level player, especially since it's relatively fast due to the high-level player killing of the monster quickly. And even though 900 is less than the original 1000, this gets further modified and increased if you have more party members and if you have at least one of the 3 classes in your party.
So not only did it encourage playing in groups, but you could just play by yourself as well (even though leveling would take longer at that point).
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Soulshaker3

I can't relate with the game never played but it's an unique way to get players to play in group. In guild wars 2 there are boss fights that happen every 2 hours and hundreds of players help each other in order to kill the monster since you've a decent rate to drop some unique items nd for example if you die in battle you'd have like 20 people arround you healing and such, I think MMO's should have more things like this because pretty much in guild wars the only time players cooperate is in boss fights and in WvW - World vs World basicly it's a sieging map that your team has to counquer objectives and different servers compete against each other to win that it's a 3 hour round and it is by far the fastest way to get XP in the whole game.
Hellow?

WhiteRose

I'd love to see the concept of a universal goal return to MMOs, along with server-wide actual events. In the early days of World of Warcraft, it incorporated some of these things, such as having "war efforts" were all players on a server were able to contribute items towards a goal, and once it was met, there would be a large-scale event. Unfortunately, the servers at the time weren't able to handle it smoothly due to the mass of players being in the same place, and WoW no longer holds such events. The idea, however, sounds like it was solid and would have been a lot of fun.

As KK20 pointed out, this is, in the mind of the developer, a lot of work for a non-repeatable goal, which might be one of the reasons that it fell out of favor with MMOs today. However, as a player, it would be a great experience if you were there at the right time, and would give "history" to the game even if you came after it had taken place.

Tazero

October 05, 2014, 10:15:24 pm #18 Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 10:16:38 pm by Tazero
.... This seems to be the basics of Mabinogi to be honest.

If you want a game where you can choose to be solo or team based, no class restriction -- and it has other non-combat aspects similar to SAO (Which is honestly what you are describing) In all reality Mabinogi is as close to SAO as you'll get atm. If you want to create something using Mabinogi as a base I suggest you look at Aura-Project.org -- This is really only applicable if you are capable of replicating the systems present in mabinogi (I'd be able to help by explaining different scenarios and how skills/actions would act) This is also in C#

On top of that everything you've described (without the common goal) like fishing/cooking/blacksmithing etcetc is incorporated. You've literally just described an MMO with hobbies.

If you were a fish...

Soulshaker3

Quote from: Tazero on October 05, 2014, 10:15:24 pm
If you want a game where you can choose to be solo or team based,

The point is to eliminate as much as possible the solo playing, it's not a question to choose one or another, there isn't really any option in some parts of it you have to be teamed with someone.

Also never heard of that MMO I might take a look, and I've heard of that Aura-project thing but I can't handle such a project alone I would have to find other people interested. I do want class restriction and have like a system of sub-class that be freely changed below certain level.
Hellow?