Democracy in Hong Kong

Started by Lobstrosity, September 28, 2014, 10:12:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lobstrosity

As some of you may know, China is using it's control over Hong Kong to take away citizen's freedom to decide their own government. Protests from Hong Kong students have caused violent retaliation from police officers. I encourage you to sign the following petition and to share information regarding this issue. The more people who recognise this issue, the better.

Petition: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/support-hong-kong-democracy-and-prevent-second-tiananmen-massacre-hong-kong/dfdCpQZz
Don't come any closer. I'm armed... with SCIENCE!

Ryex

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

locowhiteknight

I hope it doesn't get out of control again. China can be way too heavy handed, not unlike the U.S. I guess, when it comes to curbing dissent.
"Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?"

Lobstrosity

I just hope it doesn't turn into another Tiananmen massacre which is what happened last time there was a
large-scale Hong Kong protest for democracy resulting in a lot of deaths by the Chinese military. Apparently China has already stated that their military will get involved if it keeps up.

Spaceman McConaughey

This petition literally has zero potential to help anybody.

locowhiteknight

Perhaps not, but it does raise awareness to the situation in Hong Kong. It may help embolden the protestors to see that so many Americans think that their cause is important. If they happen to see this petition that is. There is very little we can do from the States except show our support and spread awareness, I guess.
"Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?"

Lobstrosity

The petition collected enough signatures for a response from the US which is a good step in raising awareness I suppose. It's really a complicated situation for other countries to get involved in. It seems like the people of Hong Kong will only be heard via the intervention of foreign countries but the fact that they'll risk conflict with the Chinese government makes it unlikely that any action will be taken.