Hello, World!

Started by heaven31415, August 16, 2016, 06:39:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

heaven31415

Hello, I'm new here as you can see. I'm a little bit experienced C++ programmer who was using RPG Maker XP to create games when I was younger. I think I will try once more to create something nice using this program.

KK20

Hey, 'sup. How much C++ experience do you have? How about Ruby? And what project(s) have/will you do/done?

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Blizzard

:welcome:

I have quite some C++ experience under my belt so feel free to ask anything you want to know here . :)
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

heaven31415

Quote from: KK20 on August 16, 2016, 10:11:07 pm
Hey, 'sup. How much C++ experience do you have? How about Ruby? And what project(s) have/will you do/done?

Hey :) I'm almost 20 now. Started to code for real almost 3 years ago, however I had a lot of other experiences involving programming in the past including writing some simple RGSS code for my RPG Maker XP games, using Gosu library (to create very simple games) and working on World of Warcraft emulators like Mangos and Trinity (at that time I was mostly working on databases using SQL because had no knowledge of C++).

Right now I think I have very solid basic understanding of what C++ is and how to work with it. There is still a lot that I don't know, especially with C++11 and C++14, but I'm trying to learn all the time to be better. 50% of my time was spent to write games using C++ and SFML library http://www.sfml-dev.org/ which I really like and I'm far experienced with it. I even had occasion to work as a freelancer and teach someone from top to bottom how to write Ludo using SFML.
Spoiler: ShowHide

I have also tried to finish my many hobbyist projects along the way when I was learning programming, however long-term motivation is my biggest weakness and I only had few bigger projects which were playable for some kind definition of playable. For example I have managed to develop a very early version of a game called Stephen Hawking Pro Wheelchair which is a 2D race game where you drive wheelchair to defeat your opponents with Need for Speed and Fast&Furious style.

My knowledge of ruby is very slim, I have used it few times for fun and when I was looking to learn some scripting language, instead of Ruby I chose to learn Lua which is very handy with C++ and very efficient.

In the future I would love to focus on single project and finish it from start to end, not changing my mind ten times in between about what should I do. I hope to find someone here to create a little team and develop something together, using RPG Maker XP or any other nice tool.

Quote from: Blizzard on August 17, 2016, 01:47:48 am
:welcome:

I have quite some C++ experience under my belt so feel free to ask anything you want to know here . :)

Thanks, C++ is a very broad river and it's always nice to have someone with more experience :P

Blizzard

August 17, 2016, 01:43:28 pm #4 Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 01:45:56 pm by Blizzard
We're also using Lua at work. I put together a pretty good library that makes connecting functions and exposing C++ classes to Lua a breeze.

C++11 and C++14 are cool, but I'm staying away from them for now, because multi-platform can be a bitch if C++11/14 features are not supported by a compiler. Since our multi-platform requirement is top priority, we have to live with it. I want lambdas so badly that I made a special piece of code recently that allows you to create classes within functions (which is allowed, but functions within functions is not) so I can use some pseudo lambda expressions. xD

bool Space::isRunning() const
{
HL_LAMBDA_CLASS(_isRunning, bool, ((Emitter* const& emitter) { return emitter->isRunning(); }));
return this->emitters.matchesAny(&_isRunning::lambda);
}

You can find the macro here if you're interested. It's very basic.
https://github.com/AprilAndFriends/hltypes/blob/master/include/hltypes/hltypesUtil.h

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

heaven31415

Quote from: Blizzard on August 17, 2016, 01:43:28 pm
We're also using Lua at work. I put together a pretty good library that makes connecting functions and exposing C++ classes to Lua a breeze.

I would love to see this library, can I have some link to it?

QuoteC++11 and C++14 are cool, but I'm staying away from them for now, because multi-platform can be a bitch if C++11/14 features are not supported by a compiler. Since our multi-platform requirement is top priority, we have to live with it. I want lambdas so badly that I made a special piece of code recently that allows you to create classes within functions (which is allowed, but functions within functions is not) so I can use some pseudo lambda expressions. xD

Do you see a lot of compilers that still doesn't support C++11 features?

Blizzard

August 19, 2016, 01:19:02 am #6 Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 01:20:51 am by Blizzard
Quote from: heaven31415 on August 18, 2016, 04:50:20 pm
Quote from: Blizzard on August 17, 2016, 01:43:28 pm

I would love to see this library, can I have some link to it?

Sadly no since we didn't make that one Open Source and it's proprietary. ._.

Quote from: heaven31415 on August 18, 2016, 04:50:20 pm
QuoteC++11 and C++14 are cool, but I'm staying away from them for now, because multi-platform can be a bitch if C++11/14 features are not supported by a compiler. Since our multi-platform requirement is top priority, we have to live with it. I want lambdas so badly that I made a special piece of code recently that allows you to create classes within functions (which is allowed, but functions within functions is not) so I can use some pseudo lambda expressions. xD

Do you see a lot of compilers that still doesn't support C++11 features?

The big 3 support it if I'm not wrong (MSVC for desktop, MSVC for WinRT, GCC/clang for Android, LLVM for iOS and LLVM for Mac), but IDK about GCC for Linux and how the compilers for PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo's compilers for Wii U, 3DS and their other consoles are standing.

Moshan

Hello! Good luck on your path,developer! I hope I'll get the chance to play something made by you. :)