Tau or Pi?

Started by SBR*, November 10, 2012, 07:05:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

I'm not against or for Tau. they are both logical constants that fit and their benefits to using either one as well as cons. IMHO neither one has an advantage as every equation that use Pi could be re written to use Tau but it's simplified form would look completely different than it's Pi counterpart.

Pro Tau argues that the new forms make more sense as they are closer in form to similarly derived equation that are not meant for circles

The question comes down to "do we want slightly more complex looking equation that bare more resemblance to non circle equations but ave to re write everything and relearn it? or do we want to say where we are as everything works anyway"

Personalty I think we have a better chance of getting the entirety of the american general public to change to the metric system than we do getting the math and science community to change to Tau
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

SBR*

Quote from: Blizzard on November 19, 2012, 02:53:16 pm
I noticed something in this discussion. All the people who have learned math in-depth (at least to some extent or a specific area) are actually against Tau while the rest is pro-Tau.

Once you learn more about a subject, you tend to become more conformistic. I'm not saying you guys are conformistic, but I'd just like to point out that knowing more about a topic not necessarily results in wiser choices.

I think the question comes down to this: Do you think mathematics is all about beauty and elegance or about practicality. If it's the former, changing 2pi for tau seems good to me. If it's the latter, I'd say changing to tau would be too much of a hassle.

Blizzard

Quote from: SBR* on November 19, 2012, 04:03:47 pm
Once you learn more about a subject, you tend to become more conformistic. I'm not saying you guys are conformistic, but I'd just like to point out that knowing more about a topic not necessarily results in wiser choices.

I beg to differ. Without experience, knowledge and wisdom, you can't make a good choice. If you are lacking a lot knowledge and experience compared to me and we are both equally wise, you simply can't make a good decision based on your knowledge and experience alone, especially because you don't see the whole picture. (Not that I do, but I surely can see more than you in this case.)

You wouldn't go vote for somebody either without first looking into what they are actually standing for.

Quote from: SBR* on November 19, 2012, 04:03:47 pm
I think the question comes down to this: Do you think mathematics is all about beauty and elegance or about practicality. If it's the former, changing 2pi for tau seems good to me. If it's the latter, I'd say changing to tau would be too much of a hassle.

Look around you. Look at your keyboard. Look at your screen. There's math appliance everywhere. It's a highly theoretical science, but it's being applied basically everywhere. I believe that practicality is far more important because of this.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

SBR*

November 19, 2012, 05:23:39 pm #63 Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:27:04 pm by SBR*
Quote from: Blizzard
I beg to differ. Without experience, knowledge and wisdom, you can't make a good choice. If you are lacking a lot knowledge and experience compared to me and we are both equally wise, you simply can't make a good decision based on your knowledge and experience alone, especially because you don't see the whole picture. (Not that I do, but I surely can see more than you in this case.)

You wouldn't go vote for somebody either without first looking into what they are actually standing for.

I'm not saying experience makes you choose unwisely. I just wanted to show that inexperience can also give birth to new visions. For example, I often ask my Physics teacher questions about certain problems, to which he responds with: "I never looked at it that way before."

Quote from: Blizzard
Look around you. Look at your keyboard. Look at your screen. There's math appliance everywhere. It's a highly theoretical science, but it's being applied basically everywhere. I believe that practicality is far more important because of this.

That's not exactly what I meant. I, for one, am more interested in the theoretical part of mathematics and not so in the practical part. Those are two different sides of math. Maybe the theoretical side would care for tau, but the practical not so. That being said, this is but a hypothesis.

AngryPacman

I think Blizz should be banned from arguing because he clearly has the unfair advantage of always being right in a sensible way. Totally unfair.
G_G's a silly boy.

Blizzard

Uhm, what? So far everybody has been acting civilized.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

He was just making a joke Blizzard. xD

Blizzard

I hope so, because I can't see any smilies indicating that. SUCH AS :V:

AngryPacman

It was a joke but I was playing the straight man. The  :V: would've ruined it for everyone.
G_G's a silly boy.

Ryex

All my thoughts about Tau  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83ofi_L6eAo&feature=share&list=UUoxcjq-8xIDTYp3uz647V5A

as anyone who uses math on a regular basis knows using Tau isn't hard it, changes nothing. we simply define it and move on with our derivation ect using Tau. the fact are that all the leg work has been done with 2pi is inconsequential if we really wanted to we could go through an replace with Tau and perhaps simplify a few equation see what we can get. hell in a computer system if you pre define 2pi as Tau and use you might cut out 8 simple multiplication operations and perhaps get a 3% speedup across that operation (provided it's a interpreted language as any compiler worth it's salt would see 2pi and compile a constant). but that's not the point.

the fact is that it would of been a hell of a lot easier to wrap our minds around it in the beginning if we had used Tau and not Pi. as far as education goes we should make an effort to at the very least present the concept of Tau and let student use it to ease the learning process.

those of us who have already learned this may have the concept down but that doesn't me we shouldn't strive to make the process easier for future learners so that we may advance together.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Apidcloud

December 04, 2012, 05:50:04 am #70 Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 05:53:20 am by Apidcloud
After watching that video, I can say that I agree with "numberphile" as well. It's not about making a specific formula easier, it's about teaching.
Some formulas get easier using Tau, others don't, but that's really not the matter as everyone tries to prove. Tau may be a better concept when teaching. I remember of having some problems when trying to learn 2pi 'n stuff  :facepalm:

Quote from: Riex's
the fact is that it would of been a hell of a lot easier to wrap our minds around it in the beginning if we had used Tau and not Pi. as far as education goes we should make an effort to at the very least present the concept of Tau and let student use it to ease the learning process.

those of us who have already learned this may have the concept down but that doesn't me we shouldn't strive to make the process easier for future learners so that we may advance together.

:haha:
Instead of wanting to be somebody else, rather become somebody else

"I will treasure the knowledge like a squirrel treasures acorns."

Gibbo Glast 2D Engine - The sky is no longer a limit