Free Anti-Virus Software

Started by Blizzard, November 04, 2011, 02:51:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

There was an older topic about this, but it's pretty outdated so I am making a new one.

I've done a bit of research myself since I want to switch. I love NOD32 2.x, but they are shutting down support in February so I basically have to get something else. Even though AVG seems to be often in the higher rankings on the top lists, I don't like it. I've once tried it and it was really weird, detecting a lot of false positives (especially modified executables aka cracks). I've also heard of a lot of people similar things. Personally I wouldn't recommend it. In comparison Avast is apparently good, but I've also heard my share of rants about Avast. Another one that a collegue at work recommended was Avira. He says he's quite satisfied so this is one of my two top choices. My other top choice is Microsoft Security Essentials. If you have a legal version of Windows (yay, I do), apparently Microsoft's own software seems to be working well. I remember back in the days *gets ranted on by Dr. Cox for that* Windows Defender was an utter piece of crap, but I've heard a lot of good things about MSE and even a friend (and collegue at work) of mine uses it and agrees that it's working well.

Basically my personal recommendations are Avira and Microsoft Security Essentials (if you have Windows legally). What are your experiences and recommendations?
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Spaceman McConaughey

Malwarebytes is good if you just want to get rid of something malicious quickly, although I am not sure how extensive it works.

Also, what does MSE do if you run an illegal Windows? Does it not work? Or would it send proof of you pirating the OS, or?

G_G

MSE comes with an actual Windows update. So I'm guessing it doesn't even get downloaded.

Fantasist

MSE is pretty decent, but it's a bit basic. No behaviour monitor and such. I like avast. Avira was pretty weird when I tried it long ago, maybe I should check it out. My favourite right now is avast!
Apparently, Avira has better detection rate than avast!, but so far I haven't had the need for aggressive malware detection. In any case, I'll try it out.

PS: My main guide for choosing stuff like this is this:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-anti-virus-software.htm#Quick_Selection_Guide
The site also has a pretty good security guide including firewall recommendations and what not.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Blizzard

I think that they mentioned that Avira also has heuristic detection.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Spaceman McConaughey

Quote from: game_guy on November 04, 2011, 07:23:36 am
MSE comes with an actual Windows update. So I'm guessing it doesn't even get downloaded.

Well your guess is a pretty bad one, just sayin'. Can someone please tell me what it does? I have gotten it on multiple occasions with Windows Update but do not know if it does anything, or fucks me over.

Ryex

the update is actually the malicious software removal tool Microsoft releases a new version every month, it isn't a anti virus, it is a targeted removal tool designed to find and remove the worst, hardest bugs at the time of release. when you get it in an update it runes once and gets removed. they also release a standalone exe every month. it's actually very useful i've had to use it to get rid of a virus that got onto my comp via a flashdrive. was actually at a lan party where the flash drive was being passed around. ended up with just about everyone having it. because it copies itself into the autorun inf of any removable file system  so we had 20 odd externals with the dame thing on it by the end of the night. I noticed something was wrong first and found out that the stupid thing blocked access to security sites. in the end I had to use hidemyass to access Microsoft's website and download the exe version to remove the dam thing it was the only way listed on all the sites i found that actually worked. go microsoft.

tl;dr Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool is a blessing and not something you need to worry about. and Microsoft Security Essentials is their free antivirus and is great for a free antivirus
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />