Ocarina of Time ocarina help

Started by punk_Blood, July 31, 2010, 12:45:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

punk_Blood

okay... ive been messing around with this for a while and i just want a little help...

im making a zelda game slightly similar to or exactly to the ocarina of time and i cant figure out how to do the ocarina
i have the three tunics as armor and i have the ocarina as an item... i need it to change graphic to blah blah depending on what armor im wearing... then i need it to show picture (music sheeet basically) then every note is a diff noise obviously
but i also need to know how to make it so if you havnt talked to a specific person yet then you cant play certain songs

i dont care if its all events or a script (much rather have events) but if its a script then it has to be compatible with Blizz-ABS

thanks in advance,
                                                                                                                                               punk_Blood
just because im dead doesnt mean that i cant be alive

WhiteRose

Hmm... I think I could come up with an event system that would make this work. It's late right now, so I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

punk_Blood

lonely_cubone

Quote from: punk_Blood on July 31, 2010, 12:45:50 am
i have the three tunics as armor and i have the ocarina as an item... i need it to change graphic to blah blah depending on what armor im wearing...

In Ocarina of Time, the ocarina doesn't change based on your tunic. You might be thinking of Majora's Mask, where it changed based on the mask you're wearing. I just thought I'd point that out, since you said this was exactly like OoT.

SBR*

Quote from: Darth Walrus on July 31, 2010, 10:02:33 am
Quote from: punk_Blood on July 31, 2010, 12:45:50 am
i have the three tunics as armor and i have the ocarina as an item... i need it to change graphic to blah blah depending on what armor im wearing...

In Ocarina of Time, the ocarina doesn't change based on your tunic. You might be thinking of Majora's Mask, where it changed based on the mask you're wearing. I just thought I'd point that out, since you said this was exactly like OoT.

The graphic of Link playing the ocarina does change.

WhiteRose

Hmm... Is it just me, or does it feel less spammy in here?

Anyway, I gave it a shot, but it turns out to be a little more difficult than expected. At any rate, I'll keep at it, it might just take a little longer than I first thought.

punk_Blood

yeah i keep getting stuck on it too... i know there is a way to do it but it just keeps slipping from me... i think i have to do conditional branch trees(a lot of them)

@Darth Walrus
well in rpgXP would you really want to have the same tunic everytime you play the ocarina or have it depend on the armor equipped?

WhiteRose

Yeah, I think how I'm going to do it is to use a main Common Event that uses conditional branches to call other common events. Anyway, are you using Blizz-ABS? That would affect how the graphic change works.

punk_Blood

yeah i am sorry for late reply...

it wouldnt be much of a zelda game without an ABS  :haha:

Zexion

You could create a variable for the color of his suit, and whenever they change suits it changes the variable to that number.
That would also help change the graphic whenever they change suits.

I think there is an ocarina event system somewhere i think maybe at rmrk not sure, but i know it exists.
When you do find a system, just change the part where it changes the graphics into 3 conditional branches. If the variable = 1 it changes the graphic to link in green, if the variable = 2 it changes it to red, if the variable = 3 it changes it to blue.

I made a system for this on my game, but after i finished the game and gave it to a friend i deleted it lol.
I will try to find you the system and make a demo with the changes and all that, :P

punk_Blood

cool cool thanks! :D let me know when ur done (obviously lol)

Zexion

Okay i found the system. I'm downloading it and then I will edit it to change the graphic to different colored suits. You do have the graphics you need right?

punk_Blood

yeah of course:) i wouldnt ask if i wasnt ready lol

Zexion

August 01, 2010, 12:15:23 am #13 Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 12:59:24 am by Zexion
Okay well I'm almost done. There's a lot of editing because it was like a full system thing like 8 switches and 4 variables , but i changed it into like 3 switches and 2-3 variables. I will be done in about 5-10 minutes, but since i have slow internet it might take as long as 20-30 to upload it and everything. It is the only option because the event is so long it would take you a day to put everything in there lol.

Edit:

It's done! Here's the download link: http://uppit.com/2meluhst2p6t/ocarina_demo.exe
There are a few things you need to know.
First off this is a FULL system, it comes with 4 songs and all the graphics. It is played with the 4 movement keys (this is whatever you defined as up, down, left, and right in the blizz module.), and the "Z" button (Z on keyboard not defined by blizz abs). You activate it by pressing "U".

Okay now when you get it you have to change some things in the common events. First off it is called by a switch that you can choose. Second as you read the event going down.
  • You can change the "U" key to another key if you want.
  • Next you have to  change the graphics for link where it says "This changes it to the (GREEN, RED, or BLUE) suit. change it to link playing the ocarina in that suit color.
  • Next change the sound the plays when you first open the ocarina
    NEXT comes the explanation of how to use it.

There are 2 Variables Ocarina Note and Ocarina Song, you don't need to pay attention to Ocarina Note (it's just to show the notes in order that you play them).
    Ocarina Song is like a math system.
    When you play a song there is a max of 8 notes. You can chose from up, down, left, or right in any order. In the event you will see
    Spoiler: ShowHide
    Conditional Branch: Ocarina Note == 1
    Conditional Branch: Ocarina Note == 2
    Conditional Branch: Ocarina Note == 3
    Conditional Branch: Ocarina Note == 4
    Conditional Branch: Ocarina Note == 5
    Conditional Branch: Ocarina Note == 6
    Conditional Branch: Ocarina Note == 7
    Conditional Branch: Ocarina Note == 8

Inside each of them you will see
    Spoiler: ShowHide
    Conditional Branch: Input.trigger?(Input::DOWN)
    Control variables: [0055: Ocarina Song += XXXXXX]
    Control variables: [0054: Ocarina Note = X]
    else
    Conditional Branch: Input.trigger?(Input::LEFT)
    else
    Conditional Branch: Input.trigger?(Input::RIGHT)
    else
    Conditional Branch: Input.trigger?(Input::UP)
    else
    Conditional Branch: Input.trigger?(Input::Key['Z'])
    else

So every time you play a note it adds 1 to the variable Ocarina Note (this tells you which note you are playing out of the 8 possible)
    It also adds a certain amount to the variable Ocarina Song.
    This is kind of like math. You get whatever the value is of the note and you add it together with the next one.
    Remember the value changes for each note on every branch. So if you are on Ocarina Note 1 the value of UP will be different than if you are on Ocarina Note 5.

To play a song you have to add up the values of the notes and make a conditional branch at the bottom. There are 4 example songs: Zelda's lullaby, Saria's Song, Sun's Song, and Song of time. If you remember ocarina of time, then you will know what buttons to press.

It's a lot to do but its a very good system :)

Okay now there is another common event called tunics. This just checks what tunic is equipped and changes the varriable used in the ocarina event.

I guess you will understand everything if you read the event :) GOOD LUCK LOL

WhiteRose

Quote from: Zexion on August 01, 2010, 12:15:23 am
Okay well I'm almost done. There's alot of editing because it was like a full system thing like 8 switches and 4 variables , but i changed it into like 3 switches and 2-3 variables. I will be done in about 5-10 minutes, but since i have slow internet it might take as long as 20-30 to upload it and everything. It is the only option because the event is so long it would take you a day to put everything in there lol.

Ah, lovely; that'll make my job much easier, as well. Are you sure your system is compatible with Blizz-ABS, though? BABS and character graphic changes don't get along well. Of course, if you created the tunics using Visual Equipment, I don't think it would be difficult to get around that.

Zexion

It's done and I modified my post from earlier.

punk_Blood

cool :D Thank you it works perfectly haha you'll get credit too... did you make it or someone else?

Zexion

Well it was actually from the project zelda engine all I did was remove useless switches and variables, change buttons, and add the 3 different tunics :P. I don't know who made the engine lol.

punk_Blood

blackfox1250

why do i find things i need after i don't NEED them anymore