Hurreh up then or bunneh will take you.. =O

Click here to feed me a Rare Candy!

I demand you to level up my pokemon. :<

Blizzard

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Valcos

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya

Chaze007

Always I Wanna Be With You! Make Believe With You!

nerissya

Fallen Angel X

Ok... Please.. I ask you guys refrain from spamming in this thread any longer  >:( This was my request for a cutscene tut not a discussion about teh evil bunnehs. And also take your time Blizz!  ;D

Valcos

Quote from: Fallen Angel X on March 01, 2008, 05:59:56 pm
Ok... Please.. I ask you guys refrain from spamming in this thread any longer  >:( This was my request for a cutscene tut not a discussion about teh evil bunnehs. And also take your time Blizz!  ;D

WTF! F.A.X. is tell people not to spam :o!! This is something I would say to him! :o
-Oscar De La Hoya

nerissya

Quote from: Valcos on March 02, 2008, 12:00:58 am
Quote from: Fallen Angel X on March 01, 2008, 05:59:56 pm

WTF! F.A.X. is tell people not to spam :o!! This is something I would say to him! :o

May teh bunnehs take him!

(sorry FAX, ill stop it now. =) )[/color]

Fantasist

Just for starters, the main element is making 'Auto Start' events, which won't allow any movements of the player. And then, just use 'Move Event' and, well, 'Message' commands to move and make the events walk and talk. For fighting cutscenes and things like casting spells, you can use, what was that, I don't remember atm but it's in the second tab in events and something to do with animations. With that event command, you can play an animation from the database on an event.

To exit from the auto-play, just turn on a local switch at the end of all the cutscene. Then make a new tab, tick 'Local Switch A' from conditions, and don't make it an 'Auto-start' or 'parallel process' event. Just put nothing in it. You have your basic cutscene.

I was not specific (i'm preoccupied right now), but if you need more elaboration, I'll do it tomorrow. (Or if someone will take the trouble of explaining it, i'll be greatful).
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Fallen Angel X

hmmm That's very helpful  ;D I love you man!!! (not gay comment)

Starrodkirby86

March 03, 2008, 09:51:20 pm #50 Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 09:52:50 pm by Starrodkirby86
Quote from: Fantasist on March 03, 2008, 09:09:54 am
Just for starters, the main element is making 'Auto Start' events, which won't allow any movements of the player. And then, just use 'Move Event' and, well, 'Message' commands to move and make the events walk and talk. For fighting cutscenes and things like casting spells, you can use, what was that, I don't remember atm but it's in the second tab in events and something to do with animations. With that event command, you can play an animation from the database on an event.

To exit from the auto-play, just turn on a local switch at the end of all the cutscene. Then make a new tab, tick 'Local Switch A' from conditions, and don't make it an 'Auto-start' or 'parallel process' event. Just put nothing in it. You have your basic cutscene.

I was not specific (i'm preoccupied right now), but if you need more elaboration, I'll do it tomorrow. (Or if someone will take the trouble of explaining it, i'll be greatful).
Oh!!! OH!!!

I was wondering for that whole point. For seconds, I thought Auto Start and Parallel Process were the same, except Auto Start robbed the player of its ability to move. I couldn't find any use of that, so Parallel Process was the dominant one. I guess for a conclusion this the use of the two:

Auto Start: Cut Scenes and other events where you don't want the player to move.

Parallel Process: Weather, Time Scenes, If Conditionals, Screen Tints, and other wily items that allows the player to move.

I can't believe I'm so blind, and I call myself an expert in eventing. *Bonks self in head* Maybe that's why I died in Zira Town.

Quote from: Fallen Angel X on March 03, 2008, 03:44:26 pm
hmmm That's very helpful  ;D I love you man!!! (not gay comment)

Fixed.

Hah, just kidding, I wouldn't be that serious to a good chum like you. *Drunkz despite underage activity*

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Nortos

I was hoping more like atmosphere and how to improve more of an expert cutscene tutorial but Blizz can go into that :P

nerissya

Quote from: Nortos on March 04, 2008, 12:59:33 am
I was hoping more like atmosphere and how to improve more of an expert cutscene tutorial but Blizz can go into that :P

Same..

I already know the basics, good job on that though Fantasist, but i was hoping for some expert tips and suggestions.. =)

Fantasist

March 04, 2008, 06:16:26 am #53 Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 06:26:28 am by Fantasist
Glad I could help ^_^

Quote from: NortosI was hoping more like atmosphere and how to improve more of an expert cutscene tutorial but Blizz can go into that

Ah, but:
QuoteJust for starters, the main element is...

I didn't know how much FAX wanted to know, so I tried to outline the basics, so that he can experiment a bit and get started until Bliz makes the grand tute. I don't know if he already knows the basics.

Anyway, here's the continuation, which is slightly inclined towards the 'advanced' aspects of cutscenes. You can make use of 'Show Picture' event command for creative outcomes. One thing you SHOULD do imo, is the 'widescreen effect'. It's the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen that make it look like a movie clip. But be careful not to put any events behind the bars, for they'll be invisible ^_^

Then, this is about planning the cutscene. Don't hesitate to make your cutscene fast if the situation in the story demands it. This applies most in fighting cut-scenes. Be creative, and have patience. Picture the scene in your mind and start working. The timing might seem to be off in the beginnng, but the improvement curve is not linear, meaning, it gets easier to make a cutscene better as you go along, only the first time is tiresome.

And what else? hm, yeah, make clever use of animatioons from the database. Those are little things which can make a difference. And then, use the screen tinting to your advantage. Like, when the party camps and haves a conversation, you can make a parallel process event which changes tone to dark orange to bright orange. That can give an effect of the flame burning. But be careful with the tones, chose optimum tones for a natural atmosphere. And of course, don't forget the 'Screen Shake' event command. It's quite obvious what it does, so don't forget to use it. And when using SEs and other music effects, don't forget to time them right. Shouldn't be much of a problem. And mind you, using good SEs can make a difference as well. When I say good, I mean the right volume, and the right sound. The sound of footsteps should sound likewise, and a gust of wind should be a gust of wind, not a hiss of static. Selection of sounds, don't get careless with that.

Remember that all these are different options, and they don't HAVE to be used everytime. Use when needed. Overdoing it will have two disadvantages:
1) Many people won't like exaggeration.
2) The gap between the gameplay and cut-scenes increases.

I never really did many cut-scenes, but I've seen lots of cut-scenes. I'm not experienced, but this is all I have to say for now.

EDIT: I just remembered an other important thing. It's about the charsets. It's best if you can get different expressions (closed eyes, angry, sad, enraged, etc) for your charsets rather than use faces. Believe me, it'll be better than using facesets. Apart from expressions, 'nodding' poses are not bad to use. Make charsets for nodding 'yes' and 'no' and use them when needed. Finally, make some poses, like firing a gun, waving a hand, waving a fist (goes well with 'angry' expression), kneeling down, etc.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

nerissya

Quote from: Fantasist on March 04, 2008, 06:16:26 amYou can make use of 'Show Picture' event command for creative outcomes. One thing you SHOULD do imo, is the 'widescreen effect'. It's the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen that make it look like a movie clip. But be careful not to put any events behind the bars, for they'll be invisible ^_^
Hmm, i always liked that..
Quote from: Fantasist on March 04, 2008, 06:16:26 amRemember that all these are different options, and they don't HAVE to be used everytime. Use when needed. Overdoing it will have two disadvantages:1) Many people won't like exaggeration.2) The gap between the gameplay and cut-scenes increases.
Note this, i saw a game once using every effect the maker could find in cutscenes.. Eew. =/Good job, i liked it, Fantasist. =)

Fantasist

Fallen Angel X

Surprisingly I knew most of those  :-\ Good Job though!  :D

Valcos

Yeh but like said above :P. We dont really need a n00b tut. we need the more experienced tut. ;D
-Oscar De La Hoya

Starrodkirby86

For a more experienced cut scene tutorial, you'll probably want awesome movement with characters, realistic features, and all of that stuff, like in Chrono Trigger. The best way I can think of is through the use of Pictures, whether it can be small useless ones such as clouds or tint formations and such, or important ones like artwork, explosions, and all of those. Make your custom animations show, and it doesn't need to be on a person, you can make an invisible event do the same effect.

Now, the more pictures of course, the more lag. This is especially true for a 2003 and less game, as a giant picture being sized would cause a slowdown in the game. Use .avis when you can. What? Can't use .avi? What are you, a resourcefulness ninnyhammer that always asks someone for help 24/7? No? Then go to Creation Asylum (Or the Chat history box) and grab out an .avi thing. Using that can easily create a cut scene pronto.

If you want more zazz, change the message box to something...give it some pauses and speed ups (Do they even do that anyway in XP? They have been in 2000 and 2003, I used it for one project before). They can really influence something, such as suspense. Speaking of suspense, music adds to the atmosphere of the cut scene. So use the best sort of music. Use an audio editor if you want specific parts, such as cutting, and if you haven't, use a BGS. Also, use an ME when you want another BGM to do an override, don't leave that in the dust. If you want overlapping BGMs, use a BGS or a SE.

And overuse the Move Route... Event command. Use it so much times. And use Parallel Processes with the uses of switches or variables as well, as the screen tints to orange and etcetera for a fire burning, but when someone douses the fire, a switch turns on, making the screen turn dark.

This is really the same thing Fantasist said, in my humble opinion. I'll have to say for some final conclusions is to use Pictures, BGSes, SEs, and other neglected items creatively. Also, cut scenes are more interesting when custom sprites and poses are used. So if you're an experienced spriter, make some nice character sets to associate with it.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).