[XP] Issue with Name Input Processing

Started by MindOnFire, March 18, 2011, 11:58:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MindOnFire

I already posted this on RPG RPG Revolution but I'm getting no assistance of any kind there. I've had a new issue arise that stems from what I think is the editor itself and not any of the Blizz addons I have installed. I'll quote my post from RRR as I believe it sums it up the best. Again, this is in RPG Maker XP. NOT the Postality Knights Edition.

QuoteI'm having a very strange and annoying issue with the Name Input Processing screen when attempting to name characters that renders the name screen relatively unuseable. What's happening is that when the name entry screen pops up, the game won't allow me to select certain letters and it will just skip over them. In addition, when I'm on any letter that I can actually get to, when I hit over, instead of going to the next letter, it skips to its lowercase counterpart and I have to hit over again to get to the next letter. So I'm basically only able to select about a quarter of the alphabet and thus can't even name my hero. I don't know if this is a common issue or not but I did some searching around the forums and read the FAQ before posting this topic. Does anyone know of any kind of fix, patch, or script I can use to fix this? I'm doing this project as a collaboration with my friend and it's kinda stopped me dead in my tracks after getting a lot of different things set up. : /

I'll add this now in case this is the source of the problem: I am running Blizzard's ABS and Stormtronics-CMS. I don't think the ABS has anything to do with it as I've used scripts provided in its help file to disable it completely before the event starts.

Please, if anyone knows of a way around this problem I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you.
Then.
Now.
Forever.

ForeverZer0

1) If you start a new project and do not add any scripts, does it still do it? If not, you can immediately rule out a problem with the editor.

2) Have you tried removing the above mentioned scripts and tested it?

3) Are you using any other scripts? If so, you need to list them all, and in the same order that they are in the editor.

4) Is this the only time that you get this weird bug? For example, when navigating menus, does the cursor sometimes move twice, or require two presses just to get it to move?
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

MindOnFire

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on March 19, 2011, 12:07:15 am
1) If you start a new project and do not add any scripts, does it still do it? If not, you can immediately rule out a problem with the editor.

2) Have you tried removing the above mentioned scripts and tested it?

3) Are you using any other scripts? If so, you need to list them all, and in the same order that they are in the editor.

4) Is this the only time that you get this weird bug? For example, when navigating menus, does the cursor sometimes move twice, or require two presses just to get it to move?

Lol, I love this site. I waited 3 hours on RRR and got nothing, and here I got help within 10 minutes :roll:

Okay, I've looked into the problem a bit more since being asked these questions. I can rule out that it's an editor based problem as it worked in a new project. :annoyed:

I haven't tried removing any scripts yet just because it would take a bit of time, but that doesn't mean I can't.  I am using two other scripts: one to allow face graphics in the message window as long as a code is input in the message box, and the other to create a reflection effect for mirrors. I don't know how either of them could cause the problem but I guess it wouldn't hurt to check. The order that they're in is as follows:

Faces
Mirror_Reflection
Stormtronics CMS
Blizz ABS Part 1
v  v  v Part 2
v  v  v Part 3
Main

(* - A blank script separating Blizz's from the other ones since they're broken up and I needed to place the Stormtronics CMS above the ABS to get it to work as stated in its instruction manual. The second one was for convenience.)

Before I go and start removing entire scripts, is there anything I should try first?

EDIT: And no, I don't run into that arrow key problem anywhere else.
Then.
Now.
Forever.

ForeverZer0

From the sounds of it, something is calling the update method twice for each time the game cycles. I am an unsure what would cause it do that, but I would pick on the face graphic script first.

I would first start with mirroring script and face graphic scripts. Simply comment them out one at a time and see if the problem persists. They shouldn't cause any crashes by being removed, nor would it be hard.  Also, Blizz's scripts have been tried and tested by countless people without any problem like this because. He goes out of the way to maintain compatibility, while I know as a fact that the author of mirroring script did not. I don't know the exact reason without testing it myself, but I have a hunch that it is one/both of the first scripts causing the problem.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Holyrapid

Also, as a side note, you don't need to remove or even comment out the other scripts. Just move them under main, because the engine stops loading scripts when it reaches main.

MindOnFire

March 19, 2011, 02:50:38 pm #5 Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 03:24:35 pm by MindOnFire
Quote from: ForeverZer0 on March 19, 2011, 01:07:14 am
From the sounds of it, something is calling the update method twice for each time the game cycles. I am an unsure what would cause it do that, but I would pick on the face graphic script first.

I would first start with mirroring script and face graphic scripts. Simply comment them out one at a time and see if the problem persists. They shouldn't cause any crashes by being removed, nor would it be hard.  Also, Blizz's scripts have been tried and tested by countless people without any problem like this because. He goes out of the way to maintain compatibility, while I know as a fact that the author of mirroring script did not. I don't know the exact reason without testing it myself, but I have a hunch that it is one/both of the first scripts causing the problem.

So I tried both your and DesPKP's suggestions but the problem still persists even when Blizzard's scripts are the only ones running. I also tried modifying the event, as I had a mini script in it before that was there to disable the ABS controls, and I removed it but it didn't change anything. There aren't miniscripts running in the event anymore and nothing in the event, added or removed seems to make a difference. I did try adding a miniscript to disable the ABS controls but it has this interesting thing it does where if I run a script, it won't do anything after that in the event.

I'm at the point now where I'm copying the scripts into a new project to see if I can recreate the glitch (starting with the blizz scripts), in case any of the engine scripts somehow got modified, but admittedly I'd rather get my own working as doing it this way means I'll lose all of my map data. >_>

Thank you for all of your help so far, I just have no idea what to do at this point.

EDIT: *sighs* I tried what I just said and copied over the ABS only to a new project and the glitch recurred. Meaning that it likely lies in the modified first script of the ABS that I generated using the config app. :/

EDIT 2: I tried activating the 'disable RMXP default controls' option in the config app and copied the script over but the problem still persists. Should I send my copy of the script to someone to take a look at? I tried it in both my game and the empty project with just the ABS, so I know it's the script causing it.
Then.
Now.
Forever.