Relativity

Started by winkio, November 18, 2009, 08:26:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

legacyblade

That sounds like some interesting stuff. I can't wait to take a look at it o.o (I LOVE theoretical physics. Not so hot on the applied science though, it's less interesting)

winkio

Ryex

I'm nobody appreciates your hard work in scanning that lecture, personally I would read it, but it's not there any more. however I think I would be better of starting with something the introduced my to the subject a bit better than this tread dose. while I always been interested in the subject I've never really looked into it. perhaps it could tell my what negative mass would really entail :P
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

winkio

I'll reupload it sometime later this week.

Caligatio

Quote from: Arceus on November 18, 2009, 11:35:00 pm
Einstein's theory of Relativity is built off of the fact that the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames.  That means that if you are standing still, the speed of light relative to you is 3 * 10^8 m/s.  And if you are moving at 2*10^8 m/s, the speed of light relative to you is still 3 * 10^8 m/s.  This has been proven true by experimentation, so then we have to come up with a theory to explain it.  It turns out that this with this new theory, not much changes until you move at 0.1c (c is the speed of light).  But as long as the speed of light is always constant, then all these other weird things happen.  Like when you observe something that is moving very fast relative to you, it gets shorter (length contraction).  And when you observe something that is moving very fast relative to you, its clock is slower (time dilation).  And then there's the doppler shift, which is where the frequency of perceived light is altered by the reference frame of the observer.  Basically,

Believe it or not, I surely understand now. Thanks, I didn't got the whole thing of the speed of light shit, but now it's all clear!